• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Hey, Cheezy

I think you said in your post when you were belly aching about the forum(you are forgiven) that you are a serious cook/chef. I think that's where it was.
What are you into. Myself I'm into seasonal cooking. I would never make a stew or say...lasagne in July. Summer time for me is BBQ, smoker etc. I also am into Mexican this time of year (enchiladas,tacos,chile rellenos etc.)
Come fall and winter I'm really into pasta dishes, one dish meals (Crock pot heaven) etc.
Everybody else feel free to chime in too!

I never fight the feelin'. If I feel like a giant pot roast on the hottest day of the year...I do it. Seasonal is good too but when is it not a good time for smoked meatloaf with cheddar cheese? Then again I grill all year long no matter the temp. To me those limits are like not being able to have an omelette unless its breakfast on Sunday.

Dude...you're missing out! Onions, garlic, sundried toms, shredded Tillamook cheddar,worchestershire, eggs and oatmeal to hold it together and smoked with one load of chips for one hour and then into the oven. Makes even vegetarians want to start sinnin'.

texas blues said:
I never fight the feelin'. If I feel like a giant pot roast on the hottest day of the year...I do it. Seasonal is good too but when is it not a good time for smoked meatloaf with cheddar cheese? Then again I grill all year long no matter the temp. To me those limits are like not being able to have an omelette unless its breakfast on Sunday.

I'm with you on this. I grill year round. I fired up the ole grill once when it was -5 out... my neighbors thought I was NUTS!!!!! But hey I felt like grillin that day so I did!!!

I grill all year round rain,snow,sun it makes no dif. I am not a seasonal cook if I want chile I have chile do you stop eating chilli,s when it is hot out no I love the heat in the heat.

Dan

LET IT BURN

Sorry I missed this one! I am really into smoking cornish game hens right now. Herbed butter under the skin really makes them delicious! Also fresh salsa from the garden (fresh chiles, fresh onions, fresh tomotoes and garlic, salt) and fresh chips are so good right now. I buy corn tortillas in a big roll at the grocery, cut them into interesting shapes(triangles are kinda boring) fry them in canola until lightly browned and sprinkle with sea salt and lime juice as soon as they come out of the oil.
I too love mexican food. I recently grilled a large Shepherd pepper filled with jack cheese and a little salt. Kind of a grilled relleno.
My secret ingredient is a smoked jalapeno dry rub. I halve the jalapenos, smoke them for an hour or so, dehydrate in a food dehydrator, grind in a spice mill or coffee grinder, substitute for cayenne whenever possible. Thanks for the forgiveness! I meant well. What are you into these days?

Smokin',smokin', smokin'! The season is pretty short in Cleveland. I've been doing whole pork shoulders, whole turkeys, brisket, and whole chickens. When I do turkeys and chickens I half them as they are so much easier to work witt when you take them up. I smoked some jalapenos and habs for the first time last weekend. hmmm... I think I need to work on my technique. I think I left them on too long. 7hrs. I was smoking a whole chicken over mesquite at the time. I took the bird up after 5hrs. and left the peppers go. They came out black. They didn't taste burnt or anything but not the taste I was expecting either. The habs tasted much better than the jalapeƱos. They did taste better when I put them on a left over burger as opposed to just eating them.
Tortilla role? There is a huge Mexican population on the near west side of Cleveland and there are 2 tortilla factories in Lakewood. You would think we could get good tortillas here wouldn't you? Nope. They only sell to restaurants. CRAP MAN CRAP!! Oh well. I'm waiting for poblanos to come in so I can do some rellenos (grilled and traditional).My plant is about 3ft and has 1 huge pod and about 8 golf ball sized ones (funny looking golf balls).

Right on! I cut the peppers in half so that they get smoke inside and out, and I smoke them for an hour or so that they don't get blackened or over smoked. I plan to do this with some paprikas when they come in, only 2 pods on my paprika, it is recovering from a mild root fungus(fusarium) It doesn't hurt the fruit, but it starves the plant of water.CRRRRRRRAPPY!

I wish I had grown more than one.

Do you use a drip tray when smoking a whole turkey? I was concerned about keeping it moist while cooking it all the way through. Halving it may be a really good idea."spatch cocking" is what the BBQ Bible calls that. (Beavis and Butthead would have a field day with that word)

The biggest bird I have smoked are game hens and they turned out wonderfully! I actually rotisseried them in the smoker. I liked the idea of smoke contacting them evenly all over.

I didn't half my peppers but I did slit them in several places.
Yes I do use a drip pan, always. I have a water smoker. Heat source, water/liquid pan, FOOD and lots of it. Using a water smoker it's practically impossible to make "jerky" out of anything.
Whole turkey spatchcocked, about 6-7 hrs. I don't go much longer than that as it starts to get...mushy if you will.

The last game hens I did went 5 hours(not spatchcocked) and they were perfect.
Moist is definitely key in whatever the final product meat-wise.
I make jerky in my dehydrator. I have smoked some before after it was dried, but I have to admit that the last few batches had liquid smoke added and NO real smoke and they turned out delicious. Of course I substituted smoked jalapeno powder for the cayenne, I am sure that added a little real smoke flavor.

Also, if you watch the food network, there was an episode on making corn tortillas. I haven't tried it.

texas blues said:
Dude...you're missing out! Onions, garlic, sundried toms, shredded Tillamook cheddar,worchestershire, eggs and oatmeal to hold it together and smoked with one load of chips for one hour and then into the oven. Makes even vegetarians want to start sinnin'.

Oh, sh*t, bro...now you got me salivating:drooling:
I'm gonna have to try this one soon.

Yes, you all got me salivating reading these posts. My mind settled on Jerky. I went to the grocery and they had a crazy sale on beef roasts.(no it wasn't the week old mark down stuff). Popped it in the freezer last night(7 lbs or so) to make it easy to cut thin.

2 bottles soy sauce
3 tbsp smoked jalapeno powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp coarse cracked black pepper
1 tbsp worcestershire

slice thin, marinate overnight, 8 hours in the dehydrator. I crack a little more pepper over each tray because those little bits of pepper on the outside of the jerky make it so much better! I can't wait.
Oh hell, to answer the original question completely Pao1x, I am also home brewing beer like a mad man! You would love it. The worst home brew I have tasted was better than anything you can get at the grocery! Fresh applies to most anything evidently, and home brew doesn't sit around too long. It is a lot like cooking, you determine the ingredients and then see how it turns out.

Back