Hi my name is WGB

Hello everyone! It's great to find people that truly enjoy peppers. I have a question: How do I keep my banana pepper rings from getting soft when I can them? I like crunchy rings. I use vinagar/dill/pickling spice, boil liquids then pour over packed peppers. seal with hot lids tight rings. I am a newbie when it comes to canning.

WELCOME! And to keep your rings crispy, you might try pickling lime. Dunno if it will work, but it's what keeps pickles crispy when they're pickled!

Thanx, I'll try the pickling lime. I will have photos of my bucket garden soon, I'll post pics when I get them.

thehotpepper.com said:
Calcium chloride

:welcome:

welcome from Fort Worth...THP is on the money...calcium chloride, otherwise known as pickle crisp...make sure you use the food grade and not the stuff you put on your driveway to melt the ice..

Right,

Pickle Crisp = Calcium Chloride - Crisps and does not contain the hydroxide component that can lower acidity for safe pickling.

Pickling Lime (pre-soak) = Calcium Hydroxide - The lime must be removed after pickling to make them safe to eat. You have to soak them again, this time in fresh water. Follow the directions. Will lower acidity.

Grape leaves - Yes, grape leaves, used for centuries to crisp vegetables. The tannins in grape leaves inhibit the pectinase enzyme (a chemical that breaks down and softens the pectin structure). If you're doing pickles though, just remove the blossom end, that is where the pectinase exists, so no need for firming agents.

Also, use fresh picked. Fruits and vegetables start getting soft as soon as they are picked.

You can also shock in ice water before canning for firmness.

Welcome from Lake Constance, Germany!

WGB said:
How do I keep my banana pepper rings from getting soft when I can them?

Eat them before you can them.

thehotpepper.com said:
...use fresh picked. Fruits and vegetables start getting soft as soon as they are picked.

That's what the boss said... ;)

thehotpepper.com said:
Right,

Grape leaves - Yes, grape leaves, used for centuries to crisp vegetables. The tannins in grape leaves inhibit the pectinase enzyme (a chemical that breaks down and softens the pectin structure). If you're doing pickles though, just remove the blossom end, that is where the pectinase exists, so no need for firming agents.

Also, use fresh picked. Fruits and vegetables start getting soft as soon as they are picked.

You can also shock in ice water before canning for firmness.

I have used graqpe leaves in pickles and some peppers that I have done -p- IT DOES WORK!! I have a grape vine I take a leaf from when pickling

OH! And the other thing I forgot to mention is if you're using salt in your pickling brine, make sure it's not iodized salt. Just use pickling salt, kosher salt, or any other kind of PURE salt with nothing else.

Iodine can also cause pickles to soften.

Back