• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

The holes in the pots should suffice for air circulation
unless your temps get crazy hot : )

I wonder if throwing a shade cloth over them would help
if the temps get over 70 or 80?

Good Luck, Bonnie!

Hey Stick - you are the top o' the page!

Hope you survived the wind, etc, Bonnie.

How did the plants handle life in a cave? No overheating, I hope.
Dudette! You are going to have to put guy wires on those upside down pots : )
Isn't 60 mph some kind of storm level? Like hurricane or something. JK. I'll
bet it feels like it, sometimes!

Continued luck to you, Bonnie!

Thanks, guys! I found bigger rocks, so I think the pots will hold. I checked on, and watered them all. Everyone looks okay under there. One plant has a bit of leaf curl going on, but it doesn't look too serious.

Yeah, Paul, 73 mph would be F1 tornado level winds. The difference is a tornado blows through in a matter of minutes. We are talking about over 48 hours of sustained high winds, so even though the wind speed is less, the damage will be more.

Hope you guys have an awesome Memorial Day weekend!

Thanks, guys! I found bigger rocks, so I think the pots will hold. I checked on, and watered them all. Everyone looks okay under there. One plant has a bit of leaf curl going on, but it doesn't look too serious.

Yeah, Paul, 73 mph would be F1 tornado level winds. The difference is a tornado blows through in a matter of minutes. We are talking about over 48 hours of sustained high winds, so even though the wind speed is less, the damage will be more.

Hope you guys have an awesome Memorial Day weekend!
Boy, first you and then PinoyPride... It's a mean old wind out there! Hope all's well with you both and everyone has a great weekend. I'm in the kitchen making an Ancho/New Mexico chile salsa with onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomatillos and beer.

I'm in the kitchen making an Ancho/New Mexico chile salsa with onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomatillos and beer.

I'm in my living room enjoying the very same thing! Minus everything but the beer. Best salsa I've ever had!

Hope they hold up Bonnie! Same trick I used as frost prevention! I screwed Christmas light bulbs through the drain holes and plugged in my whole garden. Tools and their uses! Very resourceful. Fingers crossed for you my friend!

That salsa sounds good, Stickman! Could have used Shane's version though, after dealing with the wind yesterday!

This morning the winds aren't too bad, in the 20 - 30 mph range. I took the pots off to let the plants get a little air and sun, but I'll have to put them back on in a little while. It looks like the worst of the wind is going to be later today and into tonight, 30 - 35 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 60 mph. Tomorrow the winds should drop back to a normal level (15-20 mph). I found three wall-o-waters in the garage yesterday, and I am going to try and set them up. The low tonight is supposed to be around 36 degrees, but tomorrow night they're predicting 34, which means the pots will have to go back on again. I really believe this is the last of the crazy weather for a while.

I've been so busy the past couple of weeks with end of the school year activities - field trips, field days, football camp, kindergarten graduation, etc., that I haven't gotten around to sowing any of my warm season stuff, like cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, and beans. I don't think it's too late to sow them here, but I've usually got all that done before the kids are out of school for the summer. Between getting all the peppers and tomatoes in the ground, and sowing all the other stuff, it looks like I have a lot to do the first week of summer. I'm looking forward to having everything in the ground, and sitting back and watching it grow!

Well, with the help of my big, strong teenage boy, I was able to set up the wall-o-waters this afternoon. Really glad to get that Black Hungarian protected. It's lost quite a few leaves the last couple of days. I'm sure it will come back with a vengeance though. since it was my biggest plant.

Wall-O-Waters.jpg

The wind has really picked up in the past 3 or 4 hours. What looks like a storm coming is actually blowing dust!!!

S5301740.jpg

S5301741.jpg

The temperature is pretty nice right now at 81 degrees, and the humidity is a whopping 10%.

Now that everything is protected, I can stay inside and relax for the evening.

Bonnie there is about 100 houses for sale witihin 1 mile of me for dirt cheap. Get your ass down here quick like :rofl:

No serioulsy it looks like you got things under control Crazy :crazy: weather :crazy: for sho!

It's tempting, Jamie!!!

Everything is holding up so far, but it looks like the peppers and tomatoes get to wear their hats for one more day. The winds are still in the 35 - 40 mph range, and it's cooler today, low 60's. I'm pretty sure the temperature is going to drop like a stone after dark tonight. I'm hoping the pots provide enough protection if we get close to the freezing mark.

Was just visiting another gardening forum for folks in the Rocky Mountains, and others did not get as lucky as me. The predicted low of 36 degrees here was spot on, but others with the same forecast dropped below freezing, and some folks had crop damage. It's just a reminder how uncertain gardening can be, and that there is only so much of the process that we can control. Just the act of planting a seed is a step of faith.

One more day, and then I think we'll round the corner to summer ...

Hmmm ... just checked the weather forecast and they've issued a freeze warning for tonight.

Shane, I'm wondering if I just throw a row cover over the whole bed, upside pots and all, if that would do the trick? The winds are supposed to die back later this evening, so I should be able to secure it with a few garden staples.

Follow up: Well, don't know if it's enough, but it's all I could come up with.

S5301743.jpg

S5301744.jpg

Had to enlist teenage son again, because the 30 mph winds were turning those babies into sails!!!

Didn't have enough covers to cover the lettuce, garlic, peas, radishes, or carrots, but they are all pretty cold hardy, so they are on their own!

Hmmm ... just checked the weather forecast and they've issued a freeze warning for tonight.

Shane, I'm wondering if I just throw a row cover over the whole bed, upside pots and all, if that would do the trick? The winds are supposed to die back later this evening, so I should be able to secure it with a few garden staples.

Follow up: Well, don't know if it's enough, but it's all I could come up with.

Looks good to me. I know what you mean about sails... the wind here blew over my hoophouse before I weighted it down with sandbags.

Wow, I thought I had it rough here with about 3 days of 20 mph winds and temps in low 40s.

I've used the 'wall o water's on a couple of maters and peppers before, and they work great. Just kind of pain to set up, as you mentioned. This year went with a bigger scale and set up some PVC hoops with plastic covering over a couple of my raised beds. Its working pretty well for wind protection and raises temps about 15 degrees over ambient if the sun is out. Might be worth considering, but it is kind of ghetto looking, especially after it gets beat up by the wind!

Gorgeous day today!!! Temperature is in the 60's, not a cloud in the sky, and the wind is a normal 10 - 20 mph range. Everything survived the night!

Peppersuncovered5-28-12.jpg

A couple are a tad droopy, such as this Aji Yellow

AjiYellow5-28-12.jpg

This Ancho San Luis was a little too tall for his hat, but I think he'll straightened back out.

AnchoSanLuis5-28-12.jpg

I may have overwatered this one, it's Rain Forest. The bottom leaves are yellow, but there is some nice, new growth underneath, and several buds.

RainForest5-28-12.jpg

RainForestcloseup5-28-12.jpg

This Pimenta Barro do Robiero seems perfectly unaffected by the whole ordeal.

PimentaBarrodoRobiero5-28-12.jpg

I noticed some buds and new growth on a couple of the overwintered plants, but the pics didn't turn out very good. I'll try again when the sun isn't directly overhead. I also found quite a few aphids on the seedlings I've had indoors for the past few days. That's what I get for spending all my time foolin' with the in ground stuff!

Back