• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

Way to go Bonnie! Wishing you no more major upsets. :dance: I guess the aphids were Mother Nature's way of telling you not to get smug, but you'll deal with things with your usual flair I'm sure. And you've got your family to back you which is no small thing. Cheers!

Great job Bonnie! I know how stressful it is to babysit the plants through the weather. I am going to try to overwinter everything in grounds included here....should be interesting. We generally only get a few freezes a year, but it frosts almost nightly in January....fingers crossed you get a good turn in the weather, its almost June for crying out loud!

Yeah, Shane, I remember seeing your pictures with the pots and Christmas lights, but I was just getting sprouts at that point, and it didn't hit me how far ahead of my season you were. That seems like ages ago!

Took the little ones to the community garden this afternoon to plant Beans, Cucumbers, and Zucchini. I'll post a list on my thread in the Growing - Other section. Tomorrow we'll plant pumpkins, melons, and popcorn down the outside of our backyard fence.

Here's a few pictures of the container stuff.

Earthbox #1. Not a lot of growth since planting them out, but the leaves have turned a darker green, and I'm seeing a few buds starting. Last year, the potting mix I used was garbage, and held way too much water. All the leaves turned yellow and a lot of them fell off. So I'm pleased with the Ocean Forest, and Happy Frog potting mixes I used this year. Worth the extra expense.

Earthbox15-28-12.jpg

Earthbox #2

Earthbox25-28-12.jpg

Remember the overwintered plants that looked pretty unhappy after transplanting and putting them outside too early. Here's what they look like now.

Chilhuacle Rojo - You can see the new growth is greener, and not curled. Most of the old leaves fell off during all the wind.

2ndyrChilhuacleRojo5-28-12.jpg

There's even a bloom!

2ndyearChilhuacleRojoincontainer5-28-12.jpg

Pasilla Bajio

2ndyrPasillaBajio5-28-12.jpg

Guess that's all for today!

Hope everyone enjoyed a great Memorial Day Weekend, a gift from all those who were willing to serve!

Glad to see you weathered the storm there, Bonnie!
The row covers look like they did the trick for you.
Here's hoping you can relax a little and just grow plants!

Thanks, guys!

Working on hardening off the rest of the peppers. Hoping to plant out at the community garden this weekend, so that I don't have to take the kids with me. They are fine with short trips there, but it is going to take a while to plant close to 50 pepper plants and a dozen tomato plants!

Finally remembered my camera, took two pictures, and then it said low battery. Grrrr!!!

Here is the row of pole beans and cucumbers that the little ones planted yesterday. You can see the empty plot next to mine hasn't been touched yet. Only a couple other people have put anything in the ground out there so far.

BeansandCukes5-29-12.jpg

And a shot showing the soaker hoses in place. I'll bury it once everything's planted. My two younger ones are sitting at the picnic table under the shade tree enjoying some lunch while I water things. The posts laying there are for tomatoes, just haven't gotten them pounded in the ground yet.

Soakerhosesinplace5-29-12.jpg

Today's project, planting popcorn, melons, squash and pumpkins along the outside of our fence. Technically, it's not our property, but this is the fourth year I've done it, and whoever owns the empty lot next door has never complained.

Plantingalongfence.jpg

Today's weather : High of 80, sunny skies, and 25 - 30 mph breezes. Heard one of the kids say "It's soooo hot outside!" for the first time this year. Yep, summer's here!!!

Good Morning!

Well tomorrow's the day. All of the babies have been outside for a few nights, and will go in the ground at the community garden tomorrow. Hope they are sufficiently hardened off, because the high will be close to 90 the next few days, with lows in the mid to upper 40's. As usual, our weather goes from freeze warnings to dead of summer heat overnight! I'm going to look into rigging up some kind of shade cloth at the garden once everything's in the ground.

Yesterday, I got all of the containers of wintersown flower seedlings planted in pots to dress up the porch for the summer. Hey, a girl's gotta have a few flowers!

Speaking of flowers, there's not much new to show with the peppers, so I took a few shots of some of my bloomers. Those of you only interested in peppers, can look away now ...

Verbascum 'Southern Charm'

VerbascumSouthernCharm6-1-12.jpg

Snapdragon

Snapdragon-red6-1-12.jpg

Berlandiera lyrata (Chocolate Flower)

Berlandieralyrata6-1-12.jpg

Gaillardia - I have several kinds, but this one's a volunteer, and doesn't look like any of the ones I planted.

Gaillardiavolunteer6-1-12.jpg

Yellow Columbine

Aquilegiachrysantha6-1-12.jpg

Looking back at pictures from previous years, everything is blooming 2 to 3 weeks earlier than usual, so in spite of the late freeze warning, this spring has actually been warmer than normal.

Thanks, Rick! I know posting flower pics is risky. You guys may not take me seriously as a chilehead now, but I thought being a girl, I might be able to get away with it. :)

Good Morning!

Well tomorrow's the day. All of the babies have been outside for a few nights, and will go in the ground at the community garden tomorrow. Hope they are sufficiently hardened off, because the high will be close to 90 the next few days, with lows in the mid to upper 40's. As usual, our weather goes from freeze warnings to dead of summer heat overnight! I'm going to look into rigging up some kind of shade cloth at the garden once everything's in the ground.

Yesterday, I got all of the containers of wintersown flower seedlings planted in pots to dress up the porch for the summer. Hey, a girl's gotta have a few flowers!

Speaking of flowers, there's not much new to show with the peppers, so I took a few shots of some of my bloomers. Those of you only interested in peppers, can look away now ...

Verbascum 'Southern Charm'

VerbascumSouthernCharm6-1-12.jpg

Snapdragon

Snapdragon-red6-1-12.jpg

Berlandiera lyrata (Chocolate Flower)

Berlandieralyrata6-1-12.jpg

Gaillardia - I have several kinds, but this one's a volunteer, and doesn't look like any of the ones I planted.

Gaillardiavolunteer6-1-12.jpg

Yellow Columbine

Aquilegiachrysantha6-1-12.jpg

Looking back at pictures from previous years, everything is blooming 2 to 3 weeks earlier than usual, so in spite of the late freeze warning, this spring has actually been warmer than normal.

very nice looking flowers...and your pepper garden looks awesome

Glad to see the weather is finally turning Bonnie. Should be a busy day for you tomorrow. And the flower pics are beautiful :onfire:

Thanks, Jamie and Pinoypride! I was afraid you guys would think I'm too much of a girly girl for posting flower pics. Maybe I need to post a pic of me playing electric guitar or something, to help toughen up my image. :rofl:

Great grow list Highalt! We are growing several of the same. Looks like you be quite productive in the ground there. Love the flowers too.
Good luck with your season.
Mike

Great flower pics Bonnie! Hey those little mini mason jar shakers you asked about were from Wally World! Less than a buck a piece.

Great grow list Highalt! We are growing several of the same. Looks like you be quite productive in the ground there. Love the flowers too.
Good luck with your season.
Mike

Thanks, Mike! I'll be keeping an eye on your grow to see what my peppers are going to look like in another month or two.

Great flower pics Bonnie! Hey those little mini mason jar shakers you asked about were from Wally World! Less than a buck a piece.

Cool! I live in the middle of nowhere, and there isn't much shopping around here, but we do have a Wally World the next town over. I'll look for those next time I'm over there. They would tie in nicely with all of the canned goods I ship out over the holidays.

51 peppers and 11 tomatoes went in the ground today!!! :dance:

Here's a before shot.

S5301791.jpg

Each section has 4 peppers, planted 15" apart. Yeah, I know that's too close, but if I went with 18" then I would have only had room for 36, instead of 48. There's 30" between rows.

S5301808.jpg

S5301809.jpg

S5301810.jpg

S5301811.jpg

The entire plot. On the left is the tomatoes, and a couple overwintered peppers.

S5301815.jpg

So here's what was planted by row, starting with the one on the left:

Row # 1
Tobago Seasoning x 2
Belize Sweet x 2

Trinidad Perfume x 2
Zavory
Rocotillo

Chimayo
Cachucha
Chiero Recife x 2

Pimente d' Espelette
Jimmy Nardello
Melrose
Sandia

Row #2
Aji de la Tierra
Aji Yellow
Aji Chinchi Amarillo x 2

Aji Rojo
Aji Angelo
Chile Hidalgo
Guajillo

Serrano Huasteco x 2
Chilhuacle Amarillo x 2

Costena Amarillo x 2
Bulgarian Carrot
Jalora

Row#3
Peach Habanero x 4

Chocolate Habanero
Long Chocolate Habanero x 2
Cajamarca

Inca Red Drop x 2
Pequin x 2

Hawaiian Sweet Hot x 2
Chile de Arbol
Rain Forest

I finally quite pinching buds off a week or so ago. This is the first bloom on the Aji Angelo.

AjiAngelobloom6-2-12.jpg

Hope I can lift my arms tomorrow! I play guitar on Sunday mornings. :shocked:

I know I'm giving up the top of page 12 by posting now! Just can't help it! Great job!!! Very nice, and I don't think you will have a problem with the 15" centers if you're doing the Florida Weave throughout. First flowers too! You're starts may have been a little early, but you pampered them to plant out and now you'll reap the benefits of all the trouble you went through. No more moving them in and out either!!! :party: Can't wait to see what they do now that they're in the ground!!!

Whoo Hoo! :woohoo: Lookin' extremely good Bonnie. Must be a load off your mind now that your plants are all in the ground. I'll be keeping an eye out to see what you do with your chiles when they start coming in. Cheers

Back