• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

Hi Bonnie
You really started something with your pics of jelly making. I made two batches of peach-serrano jam and tonight I'm making one I remember my Grandmother making when I was a kid... crabapple-chokecherry jelly. Both grow wild here in New England. No chiles in this one... it 's for nostalgia.
SANY0846.jpg

I also cut up 4 quarts of Principe Borghese cherry tomatoes and dried them in the dehydrator. The taste is very concentrated and just amazing!
SANY0847.jpg

Hi Melissa! So glad you stopped by! The harvests are trickling in, but no big ones yet.

Today I made a video here at the house. It's a little steadier than the first one, and I added labels for the peppers to compensate for my horrible pronunciation and Southern accent. :dance:

Let me know what you guys think.

Great video Bonnie, I just love the southern accent!! ;) And I can't believe I missed those hiking pictures on my last visit! Absolutely beautiful!! You're daughter is just too adorable. My brother lived in Colorado for two years helping his friend run a gourmet pizza restaurant, he loved it there. Now I can see why! Keep up the great work!

Very good update. Plants look good. I had a few with blossom end rot. I wonder if it has to do with the high temps we are having. Anyway, the garden is beautiful and well maintained. We just need some reviews of those peppers your growing

Oh and that view you have is gorgeous. I missed some picks too. Your kids are cutie patooties ahhahhaaa. I'm such a mom. Only moms say that

Video was awesome glad to see everything is going well the pods look amazing. If you still need the costeno amarillo seeds let me know. For the BER try adding Cal-Mag or Neptune harvest crab shells for faster results and protect the new peppers from getting BER. Hopefully you find a solution for BER and your season continues to be productive

God, I miss the mountains! Loved the hicking pics and especially you and your sis's lunch view. Beautiful!

How did you make the breakfast bars? They look amazing!

Hi Bonnie
You really started something with your pics of jelly making. I made two batches of peach-serrano jam and tonight I'm making one I remember my Grandmother making when I was a kid... crabapple-chokecherry jelly. Both grow wild here in New England. No chiles in this one... it 's for nostalgia.

I also cut up 4 quarts of Principe Borghese cherry tomatoes and dried them in the dehydrator. The taste is very concentrated and just amazing!

Mmmmm ... that jam looks awesome. The peach season is peaking now, but my habaneros just now are setting pods, so it may be a while before I can make a batch of jam. I have just about enough lemon basil to do some Lemon Basil Jelly though. I wonder if I could use some of those Aji Chinchi Amarillos in there to kick it up a notch. Hmmm .... :think:

Great video Bonnie, I just love the southern accent!! ;) And I can't believe I missed those hiking pictures on my last visit! Absolutely beautiful!! You're daughter is just too adorable. My brother lived in Colorado for two years helping his friend run a gourmet pizza restaurant, he loved it there. Now I can see why! Keep up the great work!

Thank you, Melissa! In spite of all the gardening challenges, I love living here. So much to do and see so close to home.

My adorable baby girl is sick right now. :tear: Hopefully, she'll be well in time for her first day of school on Monday.

Very good update. Plants look good. I had a few with blossom end rot. I wonder if it has to do with the high temps we are having. Anyway, the garden is beautiful and well maintained. We just need some reviews of those peppers your growing

Oh and that view you have is gorgeous. I missed some picks too. Your kids are cutie patooties ahhahhaaa. I'm such a mom. Only moms say that

Thanks, Pia! I cant wait to start tasting all the new to me varieties either. It seems like those pods sit there green forever doesn't it?

Video was awesome glad to see everything is going well the pods look amazing. If you still need the costeno amarillo seeds let me know. For the BER try adding Cal-Mag or Neptune harvest crab shells for faster results and protect the new peppers from getting BER. Hopefully you find a solution for BER and your season continues to be productive

Hey, Socal! I am interested in the Costeno Amarillo seeds, 'cause it looks like my 2nd plant is going to ripen red as well. I'll PM you.

I actually have been using Cal-Mag this season, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. I know that inconsistent watering is also related to BER, so I try not to let the soil get too saturated or too dry. Not sure what else I can do ...

God, I miss the mountains! Loved the hicking pics and especially you and your sis's lunch view. Beautiful!

How did you make the breakfast bars? They look amazing!

This is the original recipe. It came from the harvest forum on GardenWeb. I've notated the changes I made.

Linda Lou's Cereal Bars

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour ) (1 cup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal (2 cups)
(1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts)
(1 tspn of cinnamon)
3/4 cup butter
2 cups apricot jam (any kind I have on hand. I think it's best with a somewhat tart, less sweet jam, such as Strawberry Rhubarb, or Apricot Pineapple)

Preheat oven to 325*F.

Mix together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts, and quick cooking oatmeal in a medium bowl. Cut in 3/4 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Pat two-thirds into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Spread apricot jam evenly on top. Sprinkle the top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 45 minutes, or until crispy brown on top. Cool before cutting into bars.

Makes 12 bars.

They are super easy to make, and I almost always have the ingredients on hand, so I make them often.

Update:

I've been doing a little research on Piment d' Espelette peppers, and I've come to the conclusion that the one here at the house looks like the real deal. So that means I have no idea what the one at the community garden really is, since the pods don't look like anything else I am growing this year.

Here is a picture taken a while back of the plant at the community garden labeled Piment d' Espelette:

PimentdEspelettepod7-29-12.jpg

The pods are much bigger now, grow mostly upright, and are more of a pale yellow than green.

... and here is some information I found online about Piment d' Espelette peppers.

http://www.pimentdes.../06/in-english/

Anyone else growing this one? Anyone have any idea what my NOT Piment d' Espelette really is?

The camera was being fairly cooperative today, so I got some pics down at the community garden. So here we go ...

Rain Forest

RainForest8-15-12.jpg

Chile de Arbol, starting to show some color from the bottom up.

ChiledeArbol8-15-12.jpg

Hawaiian Sweet Hot (Not?)

HawaiianSweetHotNot8-15-12.jpg

Hawaiian Sweet Hot

HawaiianSweetHot8-15-12.jpg

Pequin

Pequin8-15-12.jpg

Cajamarca

Cajamarca8-15-12.jpg

Chocolate Habanero (Long Pod) Looks almost brainish to me!

ChocolateHabaneroLongPod8-15-12.jpg

Chocolate Habanero (regular)

ChocolateHabanero8-15-12.jpg

Peach Habaneros

PeachHabanero8-15-12.jpg

PeachHabaneropod8-15-12.jpg

Hit the limit, and that was only the 1st row. Looks like I'll need a bump.

Bump. Did you get your soaker hose fixed?

Thanks, Rick!

Um, no Paul, I didn't, and it ended up being both hoses that sprang fatal leaks. Found the original package and they have a warranty. Now if only I could find the receipt!

Okay, heading down row #2.

Bulgarian Carrot, showing some color.

BulgarianCarrot8-15-12.jpg

Costeno Amarillo (Not). This is the 2nd plant, and you can see it's turning red as well :tear:

CostenoAmarilloNot8-15-12.jpg

Guajillo. Even more loaded than the one here at the house.

Guajillo8-15-12.jpg

Chile Hidalgo. Looky, looky, someone's almost ripe. :dance:
ChileHidalgo8-15-12.jpg

Aji Yellow

AjiYellowpod8-15-12.jpg

AjiYellow8-15-12-1.jpg

Aji de la Tierra

AjidelaTierra8-15-12.jpg

Row #3

Sandia. Lots of huge, Anaheim sized pods!

Sandia8-15-12.jpg

Piment d' Espelette (NOT?) Any have any idea what this pepper might really be? Pods are a good 6" long.

PimentdEspeletteNot8-15-12.jpg

PimentdEspeletteNotpods8-15-12.jpg

Okay, one more bump ought to do it ...

Your yellow ajis look like mine - shouldn't be long now!

Thanks, Pia!!!

Here's the last few.

Cachucha. They are shaped a little different than the early pods on the one at home. Some of the newer pods look similar though.

Cachucha8-15-12.jpg

Cheiro Recife

CheiroRecife8-15-12.jpg

Rocotillo

Rocotillo8-15-12.jpg

Zavory

Zavory8-15-12.jpg

Trinidad Perfume

TrinidadPerfume8-15-12.jpg

Tobago Seasoning

TobagoSeasoning8-15-12.jpg

TAM Jalapeno (overwintered plant)

TAMJalapeno8-15-12.jpg

... and just cause I have room for another pic

Carbon tomato

Carbontomato8-15-12.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!!!

That recipe sounds really good Bonnie, I'm wondering how they'll be with some Datil or Fatalii powder added in. if i try it I'll let you know.

Bill

Could the one you need to identify be a goathorn?

After looking at your tobago seasoning, I can guess that mine must be straight up tobago...the hot one lol.

Your grow looks awesome. I can barely get down my rows to get pictures or even pick. Your carrots are doing so much better than mine. I am really disappointed in how mine turned out. Might try the Apache next year.

Great looking grow, hope the little one gets better soon.

That recipe sounds really good Bonnie, I'm wondering how they'll be with some Datil or Fatalii powder added in. if i try it I'll let you know.

Bill

I'd love to hear how it turns out, Bill. I add pepper powders to baked goods a lot, but haven't tried it with this recipe yet.

Could the one you need to identify be a goathorn?

After looking at your tobago seasoning, I can guess that mine must be straight up tobago...the hot one lol.

Your grow looks awesome. I can barely get down my rows to get pictures or even pick. Your carrots are doing so much better than mine. I am really disappointed in how mine turned out. Might try the Apache next year.

Great looking grow, hope the little one gets better soon.

I looked up the Goat Horn, but don't think that's it. All the pictures I could find of that pepper showed it starting out dark green, not yellowish green, and they look much thinner than mine, more like a cayenne. Plus, they don't look like they grow pointing up like mine do. To me they look a lot like pictures I have seen of Hungarian Hot Wax peppers, but I didn't grow any of them, unless a stray seed ended up in the packet of Piment d' Espelette I purchased?

Your peppers are coming along nicely Bonnie. Quite a few of them are pretty loaded. Like that
sandia. Never grown it, but heard it's hot.
I may try some of those breakfast bars, looks good. Hope your little one feels better soon.

Linda

The Sandia isn't a hot pepper, but I guess for an Anaheim type it's on the hotter side. It made a great chile powder last year!

My daughter is better today. Thank you everyone for asking about her. She's been outside picking these all morning:

RelianceGrapesripening8-17-12.jpg

Today's harvest here at the house. (Haven't made it down to the garden yet today)

PepperHarvest8-17-12.jpg

Clockwise from top = Chilhuacle Rojo, Melrose, Fresno, Black Hungarian (1st pod, newer ones are larger), and Patio Red Marconi.

Close up of the Patio Red Marconi. I'm making Beef Enchiladas tonight. Can't wait to taste these!

PatioRedMarconi-firstripepods8-17-12.jpg

I'll try and post a food pic later.

Back