• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

Holy Crow! Snow already?! That's where we were last year... after lots of flooding in September, we had our first heavy snow in mid-October. Our first tropical storm is supposed to work its way up the coast to us this weekend, and when things cool down enough, the tail end of hurricane season gives us our first heavy snows.

Is that early snow for you Bonnie? I bet it gets pretty there in the winter. We have been having beautiful weather, in
the 70's, and cool at night. We are suppose to get a lot of rain Sunday. We are lucky here, we seen to dodge a lot of
the bad weater, but not always.

Dang Bonnie I would be the fattest lad in all the land if I lived with or near you. Just some amazing stuff going on in the kitchen. And outside. Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :rofl:

Not to rub it in or anything, Jamie and Paul, but check out what I made this morning for a women's get-together at church tonight.

Caramel Fudge Brownies

CaramelFugeBrownies.jpg

CloseupofCaramelFudgeBrownies.jpg

:dance:

Rick, the weather typically changes right before Halloween. Not too unusual for there to be snow on the ground when the kids are trick-or-treating. Last night it got down to 20 degrees. It's supposed to warm up a little bit by the weekend though.

This mornings view out my front door.

Firstdustingofsnow12.jpg

This picture really doesn't do it justice. We just ended up with a dusting, but the mountains in the distance are covered in snow. If I had a wide angle lens you could get a better sense of how big the mountains look in person.

What is it that I always end up dropping by when I'm absolutely starving? LOL! Really enjoying C Amarillo powder;)!

Glad your package arrived safely, Dave! Those powders aren't hot, but they have a nice flavor.

I'm jealous, front door mountain view.
Good thing your on the other side of the divide, otherwise I'd be knocking on your door for some of those brownies.)
Good cookin!

'Caramel Fudge Brownies'!

You're killin' me. Bonnie!

That's one way to keep the small talk to a minimum, eh? ;) Those brownies looked seriously good Bonnie! Do you have a link?

I'll send my addy right away and expect some deliciousness to arrive in a few days... WOW those look fantastic! I just ate and I'm hungry again already!

Your killing us all Bonnie. Honestly how do you make someone hungry when they have just eaten because they know there is going to be deliciousness on your glog. I almost licked my screen. Beautiful mountain pic. Now thats living.

If you like that view, Ronin and Pia, you might like this one even better. This is on the back side of my house. Took this from the driveway.

Viewfromdriveway.jpg

As you can see, the snow has melted already.

So after I finished making brownies, I made another batch of Peach Habanero Jam.

PeachHabaneroJam2ndbatch.jpg

It almost didn't happen though. I had already washed the jars, and had a pot of water on to boil to help peel the peach skins off. When I opened the bag of peaches I bought last week, they were molded. I was pretty bummed until I remembered that I had bought a couple of bags of frozen, sliced peaches for making yogurt smoothies. It was just enough for the recipe! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket, 'cause I'm feeling pretty lucky today. :rofl:

Almost ruined the jam a second time, when I started to add this Chocolate Habanero to the mix.

InsideofChocolateHabaneroLongPod.jpg

This was off the same plant as that crazy Brain Strain looking hab. I took a small bite, and at first didn't notice much of anything, including flavor. Then the heat hit hard. The kind of hot where you feel the need to walk around, like that's going to help or something. Burned for a long time, even into my chest, and I felt when it hit my stomach. It might just be the hottest pepper I have ever eaten. Of course, I haven't tried any fresh supers yet. I decided that would be way too much heat for the jam, seeing as how it already had 15 Peach Habaneros in it! Now I don't know what to do with the rest of the pod. That thing is SCARY!!!

That's one way to keep the small talk to a minimum, eh? ;) Those brownies looked seriously good Bonnie! Do you have a link?

Yep.

http://www.bettycroc...12-dfb9084540d3

FOLLOW UP:

Just had the leftover jam that was in the pan on some toast. Holy crap that stuff is hot! Man am I glad I left that Chocolate Habanero pod out, or it would have been unedible for most people. Maybe it will mellow in the jar ...

:fireball:

I'll send my addy right away and expect some deliciousness to arrive in a few days... WOW those look fantastic! I just ate and I'm hungry again already!

You can send me your address, but those will be gone before the day is done. I'd be happy to send you some of that flamin' hot jelly I made today though.

If you're looking for something to do with just one or two pods... you could put them in a bottle of really good olive or toasted sesame oil and let them flavor the oil. If you want to saute with the oil, use one that has a higher scorch temperature like peanut or canola. Capsaicin is fat soluble, so it'll spread throughout the bottle and be thinned out as well.

He looked a little lonely, so I let him join a few of his friends ...

PeachandChocolateHabaneros.jpg

This is all of the Chocolate Habaneros (both kinds) and the rest of the Peach Habanero crop, ready to go in the dehydrator.

So I ate a small piece of the crazy Brain Strain looking Chocolate Hab, and a bite of the regular Chocolate Hab. to compare the two. Both were extremely hot (to me, anyway), and caused excessive salivation, to the point where I began to wonder if I was about to throw up. Thankfully, the pain subsided before that could happen. Not sure if I really noticed much flavor with either one of them ... I was in too much pain. They are both way hotter than a regular habanero. Not sure what's up with the need to get up and move around when the heat hits, but I could not stay still. When I went to wash the knife and cutting board, I was still wearing the nitrile gloves, and when the hot water hit them, the fumes made me cough uncontrollably. Makes me even more leery of eating a raw super.

Thanks, Jeff! My husband doesn't hunt, but lots of my friends become "hunting widows" this time of year.

Not pepper related at all, but one of my favorite canning projects of the year, because I do it with the kids, making homemade applesauce.

Getting started

Gettingstarted.jpg

Honeycrisp apples cooking

HoneycrispApples.jpg

Cutest helper on the planet

Myhelperplungingapples.jpg

My helper plunging apples into the fruit/vegetable strainer

Myhelperplungingapples2.jpg

Applesauce in canner

Applesauceincanner.jpg

14 lbs of apples = 9 pints, plus some leftover for the kids to sample.

Ahhh.. Honeycrisps..
I get these huge mutant sized honeycrisps from King Sooper out here on the front range.
They make a soda can look small.
Great apple.
Another tasty post!

Yeah, that's where I got them, except here King Sooper's is called City Market. They had them on sale last week. It's my favorite apple. The perfect combination of tart and sweet!

Hi Bonnie
I see you've got a pixie to help out in the kitchen... She's probably easier to work with then elves... :)

Sent a pm about some seeds I thought you might be interested in. Cheers

Back