• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

I think you are right about the choc hab you have being different then most-for one the typical chocs don't have the scorp/yellow 7 shaped pods.Generally , you are getting more placental tissue and the "double bubble" pods would be much longer if they didn't invert-so more pod as well.Where did the seeds come from?

I think you are right about the choc hab you have being different then most-for one the typical chocs don't have the scorp/yellow 7 shaped pods.Generally , you are getting more placental tissue and the "double bubble" pods would be much longer if they didn't invert-so more pod as well.Where did the seeds come from?

From a seed exchange I host in the spring. They're a Canadian member from another forum, but I don't think they are active anymore. At least I haven't seen them around in a long time. They were listed as Chocolate Habanero, Long Pod. They don't seem "long" to me just odd shaped. If you look at the picture of the dehydrator tray on the previous page, the "Long Pod" ones are on the bottom row, and the traditional Chocolate Habaneros are the next row up. The coloring on the inside of the "Long Pod" ones is more reddish, and the pod is more fleshy. Even the regular Choc. Habs. were much hotter than the orange habs I've had though, so maybe I'm just a lightweight. :rolleyes:

All chocolate pods are hotter IMO. I agree with dave. The ribbing adds more placenta. :fireball:

Now do you stil have my addy. i need a spicy PB&J. :rofl:

Thank you, Andy! I could say the same thing about your glog! You've got me beat this season though, since I chickened out on making my own hot sauce this year. Didn't have a ph meter, and the whole fermentation thing kind of intimidated me for some reason.

Yesterday, I used up what was left of this season's tomato crop, and quite a few of the peppers, canning another batch of salsa. This batch was not as hot as the first one, which surprised me, since it had some of Shane's Scotch Bonnets, a Red Lantern Habanero, some Bishop's Crowns, and Aji Limons, and from my harvest some Aji Chinchi Amarillos, Jaloro jalapenos, and Serrano Huastecos. It's probably just as well though, since not everyone in my family can handle the heat, and most of my salsa gets shipped out as Christmas gifts.

Salsa-Batch2.jpg

This afternoon I made a batch of chili for our church's annual Chili Cook-Off. I used some more Scotch Bonnets, and Bishop's Crowns, plus a few Rain Forest and Serrano Huasteco. I also used some Chilhuacle Amarillo powder, and NuMex Chili powder blend. It still didn't have the heat I was hoping for, so I added some Chocolate Habanero, and Manzano powders. It still won't melt your face off, but it has a nice heat that builds.

ChiliCook-OffEntry.jpg

The other thing I made today was Thumbprint Jam Cookies. No pictures yet though, since I will wait until morning to add the spoonful of pepper jelly to each cookie. I'll try and remember to get a shot of them before I leave.

Definitely put a dent in finishing up the harvest this weekend, but I still have several bowls/bags of peppers to either freeze or dehydrate. I may have grown more pepper plants than needed ...

:rofl:

Thanks, Jeff and Shane!

I didn't win the Chili Cook-Off today. :mope:
When they asked me the name of the chili, I couldn't think of one, so they just wrote HOT on the tag. Several people told me they didn't even try it because of that. The people that did eat it told me they really liked it though, and none of them said it was too hot to eat. It was my favorite after trying all of the entries, so even though my pride took a hit, I'm still satisfied with what I made.

The Thumbprint Jam Cookies went over really well though. I made double batch, but forgot to take a picture this morning. This was all that was left.

ThumbprintJamCookies.jpg

I used a mild batch of the Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly on them. Thought about using a hotter pepper jam, but glad I decided against it.

Bonnie, I always love stoping by your glog. You have such great ways of using the bounty you get and really interesting recipes that aren't the normal pepper jellies and such that most like to use. Your cookies remind me of the German Wreath cookies that my mom makes each year for the holidays. I have to wait till like Jan or Feb for it to really be cold enough that my wife and kids will be willing to have a bowl of Chilli, though I'll take a bowl anytime and that pot of Red youmade looke like some good stuff. So far as the cookoff goes, I have yet to take a gold medal home but I have received the Hottest Pot for the last 2 years running and that's good enough for me. Those that like it hot alway make sure I dont take any home too. Thinking about going to something outside the box this year though.... Stay tuned :)

MMmMmmm thumbprint jelly cookieess... mmMmmm you and andy continue to inspire me with your salsas and jellys.... please DONT STOP.....

Uh oh. Just finished a redline session running stairs, shower, brief snack. Boy ,did I ever stop by the wrong place .......that funny feeling in my mouth is my stomach trying to jump out and get to work!

So, emergency ration -Chihuacle Amarillo powder into chicken soup w/ with a yellow 7 pot.......I'm really going to work on a yellow chili mix next year, where the CA powder will be the main powder ingredient w/white pepper,cumin.Cubed rowned pork shoulder-REAL CHILI-no beans. Having said that -would work with " Not Chili" utilizing white beans as well.For those 'ascared' of real meat, I suppose you could get away with Turkey...LOL.

Good Morning, and Happy Thanksgiving to all my THP friends!!!

Last night, I made a batch of cornbread. I am from the south, so dressing MUST have cornbread in it. Then, I found another use for my dehydrator. Prepping French bread for dressing.

DehydratingFrenchbreadfordressing.jpg

This morning I made a Tollhouse Pie, which was a request made by my 14 year old son. If you're not familiar, it's similar to a pecan pie, but has chocolate chips, and a few butterscotch chips, so it is very rich!

TollhousePie.jpg

Pumpkin Pie is a requirement for our Thanksgiving meal, but I decided to spice it up a bit, and made a gingersnap crust, and added 1/2 teaspoon of homemade chile powder to the filling.

PumpkinPiefillingandgingersnapcrust.jpg

It's in the oven now, so I'm off to start on the dressing.

I am so thankful for my family and friends, including the ones I have made here at THP. Hope all of you have a wonderful day!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Bonnie! I had to work this morning and we're not having anyone over today, but will still have a good meal tonight. Roasted Turkey breast, steamed butternut squash with maple syrup, Asian-style brussels sprouts with sherry and shiitake mushrooms, dirty rice stuffing and Shaker apple pie. Bon Appetite!
SANY0230.jpg

Hi Rick! Nice to hear from you! Your plate looks yummy, and maybe too adventurous for my gang. I'm sure mine would be a little dull to you.

Thanksgivingdinner.jpg

The kids insisted on the Jellied Cranberry Sauce. I would much rather have made my own out of fresh cranberries, but that is too sophisticated for their palettes.

Thanks for "sharing" your meal. :lol:

Hi Bonnie
A common refrain from the parents I know is how hard it is to get kids to try something new. We weren't able to have them ourselves, so we'll have to take it as read... Glad your family had a good day together and a great meal! Cheers!

Thought I'd show you guys my latest pepper inspired creation. Yep, it's potluck time again, LOL! I've challenged myself to not bring the same dish twice, so this time I came up with

[font=lucida sans unicode']Mini Pepper Cheese Balls [/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']It's a mixture of cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, and cheddar, diced green chilies, fresh garlic, onion powder, and a generous helping of some of my own pepper powder. You could really kick it up with the powder, but I used a blend of NuMex peppers, to keep it edible for the general public. Once the mixture was rolled into balls and put in the freezer for 15 - 20 to set, I rolled them in bacon bits.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']Here they are waiting their turn for the bacon bit coating[/font]

Waitingforbacon.jpg

Usually, cheese balls are rolled in chopped pecans, but bacon makes more sense to me! The flavor was similar to a jalapeno popper.

Final product. Serve with your favorite crackers.

MiniPepperCheeseBalls.jpg

With the holiday season here, I may come up with a couple other recipes before it's time to start the 2013 glog.

Good looking cheese munchies Bonnie. If you wanted to make less work, you could make it as a cheese log instead of a lot of little balls...

anyway...
Warm season's greetings to you and yours from the stickman family
SANY0860.jpg

Awww, thanks Rick for the holiday wishes! That looks lovely! Is it an actual wreath, or did you just arrange it that way for the picture?

I usually make an herb & dried flower wreath for the kitchen in the fall. Last year, I added peppers to it. Haven't made one yet this year, and I might be too late. Not sure that there is much left in the herb garden.

As far as mini cheese balls vs. logs go, the advantage of the smaller portion size is that every bite will have bacon in it. :dance:

Back