• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2013 Grow - End of Season Wrap Up

I know some of you guys have already started seeds for next year's grow, and I should have started the Manzano's a month ago, but I am still working on finalizing the grow list.

Each year since I started growing peppers, the list has gotten bigger, and they have taken up a larger % of my vegetable growing space. I started working part-time 3 months ago, and I am a mother of three, so I am struggling with being realistic about how much time I can devote to pepper growing this coming season. Right now, I've got between 65 and 70 varieties on the list, and some of them I'd really like to have more than one plant. Last year, I ended up with about 50 varieties and a total of 75 plants. So you can see that I have some work to do before I start putting the seeds in the dirt!

I thought I would go ahead and put up my tentative list, and use the feedback I get from you guys to help me narrow things down a bit. Those of you that know me will notice that I still haven't gotten brave enough to add any supers yet ... maybe next year. :snooty:

So here's what I got so far:

Annums
Alice's Favorite
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia, and/or Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Black Hungarian
Cayenne Thick (Can't remember who it was that was raving about this one this past season, but I don't have seeds for this one yet.)
Chilhuacle Amarillo
Chocolate Cherry
Cochiti
Cosa Arrugada and/or Pepperoncini
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Goat's Weed
Golden Cayenne
Hungarian Hot Wax
Jaloro
Jamaican Hot Yellow (Anyone have a source for these? It's confusing to me that the Jamaican Hot Choc. is a Chinense, but this one is listed as an Anuum!)
Jimmy Nardello
Leutschauer Paprika
Lumbre
Mulato Isleno
NuMex Pinata
NuMex Vaquero
Patio Red Marconi
Pusztagold
Sandia
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano (Not sure which one. May try the purple one this year.)
Tangerine Pimento and/or Yummy
Tobasco (Need seeds for this one.)
Zapotec Jalapeno

Baccatums
Aji Chinchi Amarillo
Aji Yellow
Birgit's Locoto
Bishop's Crown (Don't actually have seeds for this one yet. If anyone has some, I'd be willing to trade for them.)
El Oro de Equador
Inca Red Drop
Lemon Drop (Maybe. Last time they were bitter. May try a difference source.)
Pimenta Barro do Robiero
Purple de Arbol and/or Negro de Arbol (Which one is better?)

Chinenses
Aji Dulce (type 1 or 2 ?) Is this the same as Rocotillo?
Aji Limo Rojo
Bonda ma Jacques (Don't have seeds for this one yet either. May just grow Gold Bullet or regular yellow habanero as a substitute?)
Cheiro Roxa
Habanero, Peach (and maybe the Pink as well)
Habanero, White (I have the regular white, and White Bullet. Is the Peruvian White better, or are they all about the same?)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Purple Bhut (Okay, I don't have seeds for this one either. Maybe I'll substitute Condor's Beak if I can't find any.)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow (Have some labeled True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Should those be yellow? Or red?)

Pubescens (Yeah, I know I'm really too late on these, and probably won't get any ripe fruit this coming season)
Orange Manzano
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano

Well, I think that's about it. I'm sure the list will change a few more times before it's a done deal, but at least it's a start!

So tell me what you think about the ones I have questions on, or let me know where to find seeds for the ones I'm missing, or tell me what I should have on the list and don't. Just kidding on that last one!!!

subscribed :P

BTW- I don't have a heat mat either & I think I would've had better luck w/ my morich seedlings if I did. I have a good light now but no mat.

that is an impressive list. i grew the lemon drops last year, seed from Beth at peppermania. i actualy liked them and plan on growing several this year. if you would like some seed from my plants last year i'd be happy to send you some.

good luck woith your grow this year.

Ben

Hi Ben, and thanks for the offer! I'll send you a PM.

Well, I haven't sown any more seeds, but I have been working on the germination tray chart today. It's based on the number of spaces in the two germination trays I purchased last year. I only have a handful of Rapid Rooters left from last year, so I'll need to pick up more before I sow my next round. Tray #1 is all of the chinense, baccatums, and whatever annums wouldn't fit in tray #2. They will get sown in the next week or two. Tray #2 will get sown in February.

GerminationTraysChart_zps201728a4.jpg

Ignore the date sown on tray #2. I forgot to delete that from last year's chart. I tried to cut and paste the chart, but it came up all scrambled, so I just took a picture of it instead. Hey, whatever it takes, right?

The only ones I still haven't found seeds for are:

Bonda ma Jacque
Purple Bhut (I'll replace Condor's Beak with it, if I locate them)
Tobasco

Once I get things sown, I'll update the original growlist post to include the seed sources.

Hey, nice chart, looks good.

subscribed :P

BTW- I don't have a heat mat either & I think I would've had better luck w/ my morich seedlings if I did. I have a good light now but no mat.

True, but it's also nice to grow varieties that don't need a lot of initial coddling. Not using a heating mat can help you select the easier-to-grows.

I have open pollinated bonda seeds from last season which are growing true for me this season. If you want some flick me a pm

I will send you some tobasco seeds, Bonnie.

The only ones I still haven't found seeds for are:

Bonda ma Jacque
Purple Bhut (I'll replace Condor's Beak with it, if I locate them)
Tobasco

Once I get things sown, I'll update the original growlist post to include the seed sources.

Hi Bonnie,
I've seen two variations in the Jamaican Hot Yellow, One is squash (pan) shaped while the other has a larger mushroom shape and is a bit hotter. Not sure which you have. Both of those are Annuums.

If you need any Bonda seeds send me a PM.

That's great that you acquired some True Jamaican Scotch seeds, I'll be following this grow through the season...if possible, post some photos of those when ripe...thanks

Greg

I too can hook you up with some seeds if needed Bonnie. Just let me know and they are yours. I do not have purple bhuts but I do have white if interested. I have been checking the mailbox dailey for your box of love :party:

Here is to a safe and happy new year for you and the family.

Hi Bonnie,
I've seen two variations in the Jamaican Hot Yellow, One is squash (pan) shaped while the other has a larger mushroom shape and is a bit hotter. Not sure which you have. Both of those are Annuums.

If you need any Bonda seeds send me a PM.

That's great that you acquired some True Jamaican Scotch seeds, I'll be following this grow through the season...if possible, post some photos of those when ripe...thanks

Greg

Sending you a PM.

I too can hook you up with some seeds if needed Bonnie. Just let me know and they are yours. I do not have purple bhuts but I do have white if interested. I have been checking the mailbox dailey for your box of love :party:

Here is to a safe and happy new year for you and the family.

I'm thinking it should get there today or tomorrow.

I will send you some tobasco seeds, Bonnie.

That would be awesome! Do you still have my address? BTW, the NuMex Vaquero, and Pinata on my growlist are from you. Can't wait to see how they compare to the other jalapeno types I've grown. Thanks for your generosity!!!

I'd send you some bonda seeds but I see Greg had beat me to it. Agreed. Bondas have great taste and heat with it. But I still prefer te Jamaican scotch bonnets. Love watching your glog as it has nice jellies and food photos. Love that you also grow other things. Happy new years glog

Hey, Bonnie! Good luck getting your grow under control with
job, children, etc. You have a great list of peppers. I thought
I saw a couple of pretty hot items on there for someone not
going to grow 'supers'! Can't wait to see what kind of culinary
delights you tease us with this year!

Yes, I still have your address, and let me know how the penos do. Don't be surprised by the pale color of the piñata. It is a low chlorophyll plant.

That would be awesome! Do you still have my address? BTW, the NuMex Vaquero, and Pinata on my growlist are from you. Can't wait to see how they compare to the other jalapeno types I've grown. Thanks for your generosity!!!

I have been a busy girl today! After work, I drove 30 miles to the nearest hydroponics supply store to pick up some more Rapid Rooters. Found out they are moving to Boston, so not sure where I'll get my stuff next season.

Anyway, here's what I brought home. Well, not the seeds, but the plugs and plant tags. I also bought a couple of bags of Happy Frog, and Ocean's Forest, plus some liquid Buddha Grow, and Peak Bloom for later on.

Preppingforsowing_zps6ac9d204.jpg

Sowed all of the chinense and baccatums, except for the ones that haven't arrived in the mail yet. Stuck the Manzano plugs I sowed earlier in this tray too.

Seedssown1-3-13_zpscbf9159e.jpg

Had to redo the germination chart a bit.

GerminationTrayChart1-3-13_zpsbc3d66b5.jpg

Here is the list of sources:

Aji Chiinchi Amarillo - Harvested '12
Aji Dulce - Carsons_mimi
Aji Dulce #2 - Tradewinds
Aji Limo Rojo - Smokemaster
Aji Yellow - Ajijoe
Barro do Robiero - Peppermania
Birgit's Locoto - Ricjo22
Cheiro Roxa - Pepperjam
Condor's Beak - Tradewinds
El Oro de Equador - Smokemaster
Habanero Peach - (2) SSE, and (2) Harv. '12
Habanero Pink - Pepperjam
Habanero White - randar08
Inca Red Drop - Peppermania (courtesy of Paul G.)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate - John11840
Lemon Drop - Avon Barksdale
Orange Manzano - Smokemaster
Red Manzano - Smokemaster
Yellow Manzano - Smokemaster
True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet - Smokemaster

So there you have it. It will be another month before I sow the annums, but I'll post some more pics once things start sprouting.

Dang Bonnie that is the perfect list. I wish I could grow Manzano peppers gere in Florida. I have tried several times but the heat and humidity just prove to be too much for them. I can only imagine some lime manzano jelly . Speaking of jams and jellies looky what arrived at the door step last night. Just like you predicted.

STA_4287.jpg

I was gonna try the jalapeno cranberry jelly this morning but you talked me into the Peach hab jam of love. I spread it on some fresh banana nut bread and went to town. It has the perfect flavor of heat and sweet. Been batteling a litle cold and it cleared up my sinuses and soothed my throat. And the kids love the candy apple jelly. I will not lie I had to dabble some on my bread as well. Just an amazing package Bonnie. Thank you so much :dance:

What a list Bonnie, you always have me using google to look up the varieties you grow! Impressive! I see you still have purple bhut on your list so my card with seeds must have never made it, dang post office! PM me your addy again, I will send those and I have a few more on the "need" list. Best of luck to you this season, you are going to be a pepper superwoman as well! :D

Getting a nice start on the season!
Planning on doing the community garden again?
The White Habanero is a great pepper, pumps out pods like crazy!
Good luck on your 2013 season.

Nice Bonnie, really nice varity in heat and flavors there. Now if the bountiful harvests will just hurry up and get started, right :)
Let me know when your ready to put a ferment together.

Bill

Dang Bonnie that is the perfect list. I wish I could grow Manzano peppers gere in Florida. I have tried several times but the heat and humidity just prove to be too much for them. I can only imagine some lime manzano jelly . Speaking of jams and jellies looky what arrived at the door step last night. Just like you predicted.

Hmmm ... Lime Manzano Jelly. That does sound yummy! I may have gotten too late a start on those to get a harvest this season. Maybe if I can rig up some kind of tunnel or cold frame thing, like Rick does, I'll be able to pull it off. Glad your package arrived safely. Let me know what you think of the Hot Lemon. It was my favorite this year, and probably the hottest of the three pepper jellies I made.

I was gonna try the jalapeno cranberry jelly this morning but you talked me into the Peach hab jam of love. I spread it on some fresh banana nut bread and went to town. It has the perfect flavor of heat and sweet. Been batteling a litle cold and it cleared up my sinuses and soothed my throat. And the kids love the candy apple jelly. I will not lie I had to dabble some on my bread as well. Just an amazing package Bonnie. Thank you so much

That Banana Nut Bread sounds tasty, and the perfect vehicle for some pepper jelly. I haven't made any homemade bread in a while. Been too busy making Christmas goodies, but I do have several over ripe bananas, so maybe I'll get right on that, LOL!
It has begun! Good luck Bonnie! Can't wait to see what happens next! That week or two sure passed quick!

Thanks, Shane! Yeah, I was going to wait until next weekend, but then I remembered that I have to work Friday and Saturday on a big project, so I won't have any time then. I'd rather start those chinenses too early than too late. You know how unpredictable the growing season can be around here.

What a list Bonnie, you always have me using google to look up the varieties you grow! Impressive! I see you still have purple bhut on your list so my card with seeds must have never made it, dang post office! PM me your addy again, I will send those and I have a few more on the "need" list. Best of luck to you this season, you are going to be a pepper superwoman as well! :D

Hi Melissa! I'm sorry but the seeds never made it here. :mope: I sent you a PM. I'm pretty sure my grow will never be as awesome as yours, but you inspire me to work harder!

Getting a nice start on the season!
Planning on doing the community garden again?
The White Habanero is a great pepper, pumps out pods like crazy!
Good luck on your 2013 season.

Last season the peaches had long come and gone before the habaneros were ripe. Trying to time it better for jelly making this season. I'll hold out a while on sowing the annums though.

Back