• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2013 Grow - End of Season Wrap Up

I know some of you guys have already started seeds for next year's grow, and I should have started the Manzano's a month ago, but I am still working on finalizing the grow list.

Each year since I started growing peppers, the list has gotten bigger, and they have taken up a larger % of my vegetable growing space. I started working part-time 3 months ago, and I am a mother of three, so I am struggling with being realistic about how much time I can devote to pepper growing this coming season. Right now, I've got between 65 and 70 varieties on the list, and some of them I'd really like to have more than one plant. Last year, I ended up with about 50 varieties and a total of 75 plants. So you can see that I have some work to do before I start putting the seeds in the dirt!

I thought I would go ahead and put up my tentative list, and use the feedback I get from you guys to help me narrow things down a bit. Those of you that know me will notice that I still haven't gotten brave enough to add any supers yet ... maybe next year. :snooty:

So here's what I got so far:

Annums
Alice's Favorite
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia, and/or Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Biker Billy Jalapeno
Black Hungarian
Cayenne Thick (Can't remember who it was that was raving about this one this past season, but I don't have seeds for this one yet.)
Chilhuacle Amarillo
Chocolate Cherry
Cochiti
Cosa Arrugada and/or Pepperoncini
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Goat's Weed
Golden Cayenne
Hungarian Hot Wax
Jaloro
Jamaican Hot Yellow (Anyone have a source for these? It's confusing to me that the Jamaican Hot Choc. is a Chinense, but this one is listed as an Anuum!)
Jimmy Nardello
Leutschauer Paprika
Lumbre
Mulato Isleno
NuMex Pinata
NuMex Vaquero
Patio Red Marconi
Pusztagold
Sandia
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano (Not sure which one. May try the purple one this year.)
Tangerine Pimento and/or Yummy
Tobasco (Need seeds for this one.)
Zapotec Jalapeno

Baccatums
Aji Chinchi Amarillo
Aji Yellow
Birgit's Locoto
Bishop's Crown (Don't actually have seeds for this one yet. If anyone has some, I'd be willing to trade for them.)
El Oro de Equador
Inca Red Drop
Lemon Drop (Maybe. Last time they were bitter. May try a difference source.)
Pimenta Barro do Robiero
Purple de Arbol and/or Negro de Arbol (Which one is better?)

Chinenses
Aji Dulce (type 1 or 2 ?) Is this the same as Rocotillo?
Aji Limo Rojo
Bonda ma Jacques (Don't have seeds for this one yet either. May just grow Gold Bullet or regular yellow habanero as a substitute?)
Cheiro Roxa
Habanero, Peach (and maybe the Pink as well)
Habanero, White (I have the regular white, and White Bullet. Is the Peruvian White better, or are they all about the same?)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Purple Bhut (Okay, I don't have seeds for this one either. Maybe I'll substitute Condor's Beak if I can't find any.)
Scotch Bonnet Yellow (Have some labeled True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. Should those be yellow? Or red?)

Pubescens (Yeah, I know I'm really too late on these, and probably won't get any ripe fruit this coming season)
Orange Manzano
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano

Well, I think that's about it. I'm sure the list will change a few more times before it's a done deal, but at least it's a start!

So tell me what you think about the ones I have questions on, or let me know where to find seeds for the ones I'm missing, or tell me what I should have on the list and don't. Just kidding on that last one!!!

Stopped by the mailbox this afternoon and found seeds from Rick, and DocNrock. Thanks guys!!!

So, of course I had to sow a couple more things.

Seedssown1-6-13_zpsf0030e55.jpg

As you can see, there are still a few empty spaces in this tray, but some of them will get used when it's time to sow the annums.

GerminationTray1on1-6-13_zps9d4ffaf0.jpg

No sprouts yet, and the Manzanos are messing with my head. Every time I look at them, I think for a second that the seeds have rotted, and then I remember they were brown to start with. :banghead:

Glad you got the seeds. Question for you: This year is my first time trying to grow pubescens (Red and Giant Mexican Rocotos). I've had incredibly poor germ rates and when I do get a sprout, it seems to be extremely stunted and slow growing. Is this normal for pubescens species?

Glad you got the seeds. Question for you: This year is my first time trying to grow pubescens (Red and Giant Mexican Rocotos). I've had incredibly poor germ rates and when I do get a sprout, it seems to be extremely stunted and slow growing. Is this normal for pubescens species?

This is my first year to grow them too, but my understanding is that they can take 3 - 4 weeks to germinate. That's why I started them first, but I really should have started them a month ago.

So look what I found in my mailbox today. Thank you Midwestchilehead, and Pic1!!!

Seedsreceived1-7-13_zps62cb0398.jpg

I sowed a couple of the Bonda ma Jacques, and a couple of the Tobasco seeds. Then, the OCD in me came out, and I had to rearrange the plugs in the tray in alphabetical order. Guess it's a good thing I started them in the Root Riot plugs, so that they are mobile. :lol: Of course, now that means I have to redo my nice little chart I made. Sigh ...

This is my first year to grow them too, but my understanding is that they can take 3 - 4 weeks to germinate. That's why I started them first, but I really should have started them a month ago.

So look what I found in my mailbox today. Thank you Midwestchilehead, and Pic1!!!

Seedsreceived1-7-13_zps62cb0398.jpg

I sowed a couple of the Bonda ma Jacques, and a couple of the Tobasco seeds. Then, the OCD in me came out, and I had to rearrange the plugs in the tray in alphabetical order. Guess it's a good thing I started them in the Root Riot plugs, so that they are mobile. :lol: Of course, now that means I have to redo my nice little chart I made. Sigh ...

Strange thing about grow lists Bonnie, I'm finding that they're like kids. They just keep growing. Maybe that's why we call them GROW Lists and the fact that they're lists of what we're growing is just coincidence. :)

Oh, Rick and I decided that you need to get in on a TD this year. With your skills you'd do really well.

Dang...you must really love them seeds, you posted them twice!!! Good luck! Hope they start poppin soon!

:rofl: Not sure how that happened. Maybe I'm just trying to get enough posts to catch up with your glog, Shane!!!

Strange thing about grow lists Bonnie, I'm finding that they're like kids. They just keep growing. Maybe that's why we call them GROW Lists and the fact that they're lists of what we're growing is just coincidence. :)

Oh, Rick and I decided that you need to get in on a TD this year. With your skills you'd do really well.

Hmmm ... I tell you what. Let me get finished with this crazy seed swap I'm hosting, and then I'll check out the whole TD thing.

Bonnie!!!!!! I see some hotties in that sow sheet you have there my darling!!!! :think: I knew that super hot queen was busting to come out and she will yet... Hey, the Scotch Bonnet is nothing to scarf at. Trust me :onfire:

Hi Pia! Shane sent me some Scotch Bonnet pods, and I really liked the flavor. I'd say they were about orange habanero level heat, which is about my max. The Chocolate Habs I grew last year were almost too much for me. They were the first pepper to make me feel like I might throw up. It passed after a few minutes, but it made me think twice about going hotter than that.

No hooks yet. :mope:

You have a fair amount of "reasonable" heat on your list. Flavor should be #1 for your choices. The SB's are a bit hotter than your average Hab, but not much. Those Bonda Ma Jaques are supposed to another great one. Supers are for powders/sauces, they make a really good seasoning and they last forever because it doesn't take much. I like your list, no hype just interesting varieties full of great flavor. Booo on the no hooks yet part though! Soon!

Congrats on getting some seeds in the dirt. Ahead of me again this year. Wish you the best of luck on your grow and I'm excited to see how it all turns out.

Nothing like making a little extra work for yourself, my friend!
I hate OCD. I hate OCD. I hate OCD. I hate OCD.
Gotta go rearrange my grow shelf :liar:

Serio, I hope they all pop and do very well for you. I
remember seeing what Spring in CO looks like!

You have a fair amount of "reasonable" heat on your list. Flavor should be #1 for your choices. The SB's are a bit hotter than your average Hab, but not much. Those Bonda Ma Jaques are supposed to another great one. Supers are for powders/sauces, they make a really good seasoning and they last forever because it doesn't take much. I like your list, no hype just interesting varieties full of great flavor. Booo on the no hooks yet part though! Soon!

Thanks, Shane! That makes me feel better. Sometimes around here, I get the impression if you don't grow supers, your grow doesn't count.

Congrats on getting some seeds in the dirt. Ahead of me again this year. Wish you the best of luck on your grow and I'm excited to see how it all turns out.

Thanks, Bodeen! I'll be watching your grow too. You put me to shame with the sheer volume that you can each season!

Nothing like making a little extra work for yourself, my friend!
I hate OCD. I hate OCD. I hate OCD. I hate OCD.
Gotta go rearrange my grow shelf :liar:

Serio, I hope they all pop and do very well for you. I
remember seeing what Spring in CO looks like!

Spring in Colorado can be pretty challenging, but if you can make it till summer, the payoff is worth all the frustrations.

UPDATE:

Looky, looky, I've got a hooky! (yeah, okay, that was bad, :rofl: )

Came home from work last night to find this.

FirstSproutof13CondorsBeak_zps33270fb4.jpg

So the first sprout of 2013 is ............ Condor's Beak. Here's what it looked like tonight.

CondorsBeaksprout1-12-13_zpsd7eaa514.jpg

I think I see a tail on a couple of the Manzanos, but can't be certain quite yet.

:woohoo: Nice Bonnie! And so it begins... I went with the coffee filter method and I'm just starting to get radicles. Cheers!

Okay, now all you have to do is stand back
and try not to get pushed out of the way by
the sprouting seeds!!

Today, I received a donation from Jamie for the Pick-A-Peck of Peppers seed swap I am hosting. So of course I had to sow a couple more seeds. :lol: I really need to save the rest of the empty spaces in the germination tray for the annums that are already on my growlist, but hosting this swap makes it very difficult.

So here is the list of what's been sown, with sow dates, and germination dates:

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Aji Chiinchi Amarillo [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Aji Dulce [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Aji Dulce #2 [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] (-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Aji Limo Rojo [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](hook on 1-14-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Aji Yellow [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](hook on 1-14-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Barro do Robiero [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] (1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Beni Highlands [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-14-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Birgit's Locoto [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
Bonda ma Jacques (1-7-13)
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Bishop's Crown [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-6-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Cheiro Roxa [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Condor's Beak [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-11-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]El Oro de Equador [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Habanero Peach [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] (1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Habanero Pink [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] (1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Habanero White [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Inca Red Drop [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Jamaican Hot Chocolate [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Lemon Drop [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Orange Manzano [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](12-29-12) (tails on 1-13-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Red Manzano [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](12-29-12) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] (tails on 1-13-13)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Yellow Manzano [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](12-29-12) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] (tails on 1-13-13)[/background]
Tobasco (1-7-13)
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Pimenta de Neyde [/background](1-6-13)
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)](1-3-13)[/background]

Things are progressing, slowly but surely.

Back