• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hillbilly Chili

Okie dokie folks! Here is my recipe for chili, It is good, easy to make, and GOOD! But it does take a little while to make. Have you ever noticed that there is no recipe for a small batch of chili?... this one is no different... OK here we go! :cool:

This is what you need:

1 pound ground beef
2 pounds italian sausage
3 (15oz) cans of chili beans
1 (15oz) can of chili beans in spicy sauce
2 (28oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
5-6 peppers of your choice (I used Anaheim's because my wife HATES spicy food)
4-5 pieces of bacon
4 beef bouillon cubes
3/4 cup of good beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (homemade is better)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar

You will also need a BIG pot to put everything into, and 1 or 2 pans for browning meat crisping bacon and sauteing veggies

DIRECTIONS!

1) brown the ground beef and italian sausage in a pan, while the meet is browning cut the bacon into small pieces and crisp it up in a pan.. LEAVE THE BACON FAT IN THE PAN!

2) chop up the onion, red bell pepper, and chili peppers. throw them into to pan with the bacon fat and sauté them

3) once the meat is browned and the bacon is crispy and the veggies are sautéed, throw every ingredient into the big pot

4) put the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and let it simmer for at least two hours! NO LESS!

Thats it! If you have a slow cooker you could make it in that a lot easier but a big pot works just as well!

PICS!

Here are all the things you need!
2011-10-08172336.jpg

Chopped up veggies..
2011-10-08174647.jpg

Veggies sautéing
2011-10-08180608.jpg

Everything ready to go into the pool
2011-10-08181637.jpg

EVERYONE INTO THE POOL!
2011-10-08181951.jpg

3 hours later
2011-10-08202054.jpg

ENJOY and lemme know what you think! :)

Notice how the pics get blurrier as they go?... :drunk:

-Nick

Yep, LOTS of beans. Question, you used 3/4 cup of a beer. Did you save the rest with plastic wrap?

LOL No.. I drank the rest of it and his other five buddies!.. If you didnt want beans in the chili you would need to strain them out because the sauce in the cans of beans add nice tasting goodness.

I use beans too. I like black ones in mine. I hope this doesn't turn into ANOTHER beans vs. no beans thread...

i hear everyone at walmart got a pay increase with all the chili you make.....you add "Great Value" to your chili! (i pun to have fun).

on occasion, i like to toss in a can of kernal corn, those yellow kernals just look so good amongst the dark meat and beans....of course great value kernal corn!

keep on cookin'

Love it man. I would totally be busting out the taco chips and shredded cheese along with a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle a little fresh cilantro on top and heaven. I'm on my way over. :lol:

i hear everyone at walmart got a pay increase with all the chili you make.....you add "Great Value" to your chili! (i pun to have fun).

on occasion, i like to toss in a can of kernal corn, those yellow kernals just look so good amongst the dark meat and beans....of course great value kernal corn!

keep on cookin'
LOL :) I loves me some chili!

Love it man. I would totally be busting out the taco chips and shredded cheese along with a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle a little fresh cilantro on top and heaven. I'm on my way over. :lol:
I have PLENTY left... single servings sitting and waiting on me the the freezer :cool:

Yep, LOTS of beans. Question, you used 3/4 cup of a beer. Did you save the rest with plastic wrap?

Geeme should approve this message...

Yep the only thing wrong with that Chili is that it's 2000 miles away!
Being HillBilly Chili though, shouldn't it have Squirrel or Possum or something other than Johnsonville Sausage? just ribbing you.

~

JayT! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

alright, half-beer jokes aside, thanks for sharing your recipe, hillbilly. I agree that it's impossible to make a small batch of chili. I believe it is impossible to make a single serving of chili, and anything less than a couple gallons is just not worth the trouble.

Man, you got me jonesin' for some chili now. Must mean "mission accomplished" for sharing your recipe and pics.

That chili looks amazing, i'm going to have to make some myself when I get to the store. Gonna have to get me something in the tasty beverage category aswell.

Oh yeah......just made this for a chili cookoff at work tomarrow. FANTASTIC !!! If I win you will get full cred hillbilly. U gotta try this guys. Yellow cardi worked out great for it. Thanks for the recipe! :dance:

Back