• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Not sure if I am going to OW the Manzano this winter or not with the results I got this year on my OW.  Only got two ripe pods off my manzano this year with tons of green that probably won't make and I still started these plants way early.  I am not impressed enough with them for the hassle they create.
I agree, Jeff.  In general, the only OW plants I want to  maintain this year are the
ornamentals and a Fatali, all 3rd year plants.   The Fatali mainly for it's coolness
factor, but I need to start a new plant next season.  It's greatest production was
in the second season.  

Somehow my Manzanos get sideways every season.  This time it's BER   :mad:
If I don't get a decent crop next season, I'll let them go.

Great late harvest there, my friend - your grow is awesome.

Beautiful pods from yesterday, great harvest.

Definitely making me jealous. I hope the weather holds out for you
In north Texas, I've still got a month or so before the weather will start slowing the plants down or the danger of a random early frost.

HillBilly Jeff said:
TS Yellow.  I love these peppers.

9000_10203006067262700_1576142820568973466_n.jpg
Beauties, all your peppers are gorgeous.

PaulG said:
I agree, Jeff.  In general, the only OW plants I want to  maintain this year are the
ornamentals and a Fatali, all 3rd year plants.   The Fatali mainly for it's coolness
factor, but I need to start a new plant next season.  It's greatest production was
in the second season.  

Somehow my Manzanos get sideways every season.  This time it's BER   :mad:
If I don't get a decent crop next season, I'll let them go.

Great late harvest there, my friend - your grow is awesome.

I would love to save them all as they are gorgeous plants this year, but I don't see the cost/benefit ratio being in my favor on them.  I will be saving my chezno and trying to do it as a full blown plant growing upstairs by a south window.  That and some starts I will be trying will be all I do.

Of the two seasons I have grown manzano, this was by far my best.  If I had another month or two of growing, they would give me a really good pull.

Thanks for the compliment, your grow is stellar as always!!!

slade122 said:
Beautiful pods from yesterday, great harvest.

Definitely making me jealous. I hope the weather holds out for you
In north Texas, I've still got a month or so before the weather will start slowing the plants down or the danger of a random early frost.

Thank you.  I get to get some practice in on the hoops on my raised beds this fall trying to extend them out longer.  Hoping its a normal frost year and it doesn't come until 20 something next month.

Hawaiianero said:
Beauties, all your peppers are gorgeous.

Thank you very much.

Sawyer said:
My first year Manzanos bloomed before my OWs this year.  But at least I got blooms. 

I had my first manzano pod come on when they were still in the grow room lol.

Devv said:
I had 6 Manzano's got one pod...LOL.

I'm with you Jeff, I want to grow something that grows (here) and likes to grow and set pods...

Well, I can say I grew and ate them from my own garden, but there just wasn't a wow factor there for me.  Kewl pods, great looking inside, not sure why all mine turned out orange when I got yellow seeds.  Hotter than I thought they would be, but not a pepper that I can use easier to grow peppers instead of.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Not sure if I am going to OW the Manzano this winter or not with the results I got this year on my OW.  Only got two ripe pods off my manzano this year with tons of green that probably won't make and I still started these plants way early.  I am not impressed enough with them for the hassle they create.

Jeff, great harvest you have there and I agree about the OW, to a point. I so badly want gallons and gallons of ripe Monzanos, I'll OW one or two and plant 6 or more in the spring. Yes, probably 6 pods this year. Mostly mite damage when I wasn't paying attention.

The couple of supers I OW have done nicely. Same with the tabsasco. Annuums sucked. Paper lanterns and other habs did about on par with the new plants.

randyp said:
     Get rid of the packing material in that box.My dog drug it thru the living room during the last thunder storm.Needed a snow shovel to clean it up. :P

No worries, already done.  Got more bottles than I need, and twice as many lids....but I don't have to worry about getting more lids and paying shipping next time round.

Devv said:
Fillmore has the best prices I've seen so far...

Shipping is the killer.  I picked up some more 5 ounce bottles and then some 10 ounce bottles.  I believe a 10 ounce bottle will last me 2 weeks as the 5 ounce I have at work is a week opened and has one day left in it.

My next thing to figure out is getting a good base for yellow hot peppers.  I have the red figured out (not tomatoes) but need to come up with a recipe for my MoA, TS Yellow, and Fatalii that I like and are different enough they don't taste the same.  My first attempt at sauce making I used plums as the base and used way too many of them.  Also need a brown sauce made with my chocolate cayennes, but that can wait lol.

Back