vendor Hirts Gardens

I noticed, After seeing scotch bonnets, and What I noticed from the leaf shape of my bonnets last year( even though they never produced fruit)
The sent me 3 red mushroom plants.....)
But the flavor is one of the best
I have tried when it comes to chili.
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but how do you know they have one of the best flavors when you also say they never produced fruit? Please clear it up if you meant something different. I know I myself have got things typed out all jumbled with all the thoughts rushing into my head while thinking about something I am passionate about.

Well on the same token you don't know much about chili vendors. Just as I and several others have learned the hard way you MUST purchase seeds from a trusted vendor. Check out the sticky for help on finding a trusted vendor.

Good luck

Kind of harsh on the guy don't you think LGHT?

Are you for real Papadaca? First you recommend buying from Hirts but now you've totally changed your mind because your "bonnets" weren't true bonnets. Most "bonnets" you buy outside of a knowlegable chile forum, will be bon-nots. I would not buy from Hirt's, and this has been discussed here many times
You will not be able to identify a plant as red mushroom by leaf alone, you need pods for that
i recommend getting, some bhuts / naga jolokia plants from hirts gardens.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but how do you know they have one of the best flavors when you also say they never produced fruit? Please clear it up if you meant something different. I know I myself have got things typed out all jumbled with all the thoughts rushing into my head while thinking about something I am passionate about.

If i am not mistaken from reading his post. its his bonnets last year that did not produce. and this season's plants he got from Hirt's that were supposed to be bonnets came out as mushroom and he enjoyed the flavor of those peppers.

Didn't you have problems with another vendor or their seeds, which turned out to be nonevent in the end, now this problem..

As a vendor I would be afraid to sell you anything, you seem hard to please and eager to complain.

Just an observation

Hirts gardens is not a good company, at least when it comes to pepper plants. Not knowing any better at the time, I purchased 4 Bhut Jolokia seedlings from them in the spring of 2010. The plants came nicely packed and looked great at the time. The problem arose when they started fruiting. To my surprise, the plants produced nothing but medium small ovalesque very smooth red pods of a Habanero variety. The concensus seems to be that they are most likely Caribbean Red Habaneros. When I called them on it, they weren't going to do and ultimately did nothing except continue to claim that they were in fact Bhut Jolokias, when it was plain as day that they were not. Later, when doing a google search on the company, many others were duped the way I was. Like I said, I cannot comment on anything else they sell other than pepper plants, and from my experience and from countless others, do not buy from them.

Unfortunatly I found Hirts before I found this forum, I ordered 3 Butch T's from them and the best I can say about them is they where alive.
I would NOT recomend Hirts to anyone, below is a pic of a Hirts Butch T :doh:

e32ac38d.jpg

This is my experience getting into growing peppers with a couple of orders of plants from Hirt's:

I took a moment to unbox the 4 that came first:

591488874.jpg

The Super Chilis are doing fine, I can't complain. In fact, I've harvested 5-6 peppers in the past week and they are obviously much better than dried chilis from the grocery =)

The Scotch Bonnet are reported here as being Habanero in actuality, I think I read recently ... and here's the one's growing out from my order:

591495185.jpg

The spots on the leaves are what happens when you use the wrong Safer Brand number by accident. Specifically, don't use:
Safer Brand 5452 3-in-1

I didn't even have a problem w/ my peppers for the most part - I had a nasty fight going on my tomatoes and misordered from Amazon. When I saw that peppers were able to be infected by some of the powdery mildew stuff etc I was battling, I decided to treat my peppers prophylactically. I did, however, find these critters that came on the Nu Mex Big Jim and Monster Bell plants from Hirt's (I'll give them the benefit that probably one was infested before shipping, despite both arriving infested):

591494565.jpg

The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Cayenne came, too ... I'll just let the picture do the talking:

591495776.jpg

Nice, right? Filled out the Amazon "problem w/ item" form and was refunded quickly this evening - good on them, for that anyways.

I have to show you how those 4 Fatalli Yellow's turned out, though <g>:

591492709.jpg

591493312.jpg

Isn't that special?

I am, however, going to leave this on a positive note - because I quite like the experience I'm having w/ their Mustard Habanero:

591478999.jpg

Which I noticed this afternoon ... are starting to turn:

591497374.jpg

So, all in all, not so good and I think they'd probably like to do a better job. At least they refunded the money promptly - I love Amazon.

I got seeds for an ornamental called "Basket of Fire" from Hirt's, before I knew the company's reputation. The plant's seem true to the description, they go through the rainbow of colors like it says, and they are exploding with flowers and pods, but it would take quite a bit of pruning, etc to turn them into the cute little hanging basket pepper plant that lured me into buying it in the first place. Also, the ripe pods are quite bitter. In the same order I bought some rosemary seeds, most seedlings were rosemary, but one of them was some weird mystery plant. It died so I never figured out what it was

Anyway, seeing other people's experiences, I'd never buy from them again, or at least, not buy from them expecting the seeds/plants to be true.

Hi Grant , The fact that you have taken what was sent to you ,and are ending up with specimen quality plants is wonderful ! Dan

I agree, thanks! Life is too short to let a big company's incompetence raise your cortisol and make yourself fat =)

I read the forum so more late last night and it seems their Bhut are also reportedly not legit. The Yellow Bhut I ordered looks like it's at least some kind of Jolokia, we'll see how they finish in the coming weeks:

591494966.jpg

Definitely not a habanero, looks more like a C. annuum mushroom/squash type

It's starting to turn, still wondering what it is ... Scotch Bonnet or ? ...

photo3-1.jpg

Hirt's Yellow Bhut Jolokia ... heh. Still trying to decide if I should process a refund again for being wrong, starting to feel bad for them. It's pathetic.

photo2-1.jpg

I think they just source their seed from shady, unreliable places, and if they aren't true, they just don't care and still sell it anyways. I say that because the pepper seeds I bought from Hirt's didn't ship from directly from Hirt's.

I think they just source their seed from shady, unreliable places, and if they aren't true, they just don't care and still sell it anyways. I say that because the pepper seeds I bought from Hirt's didn't ship from directly from Hirt's.

yeah, the refund came w/ a message blaming the ebay overseas seed source ...

When Hirt's messed up my order, I posted a very poor review of them on Amazon.com. I was later contacted by Hirt's telling me they would give me a full refund IF I removed the negative comments. My response was "You will be refunding my purchase regardless of whether I remove my comments." Refund given....but Hirt's still sucks!

Back