• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Holy Basil Batman! ;)

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Sweet, Thai, and purple in a Cutty Sark crate. It's poppin!

IMG_20200904_152405.jpg
IMG_20200904_152439.jpg

IMG_20200904_152422.jpg

Nice. I have never had great luck with keeping basil going for a whole season. I grew a bunch of different varieties in the same container too this year, and maybe that is a secret, because they all did awesome .

I had a couple seed packs years old and a new pack of Thai from eBay for like a dollar something so happy yeah! Italian and Thai meals abound! :)

Nice. I have never had great luck with keeping basil going for a whole season. I grew a bunch of different varieties in the same container too this year, and maybe that is a secret, because they all did awesome .
I think so! Having another great year in the same container! Same 3 varieties except the Italian is called Heirloom Sweet.

I grew some nice basil last winter, it was a seed form. I bought some basil seeds for making a drink, the packaging may have been Thai. I enjoy basil seed drinks, it is similar to Chia.

Anyway the plant grew well, had many many flowers, had a nice flavor. It was clear to see as it grew that it was bred for seed production.

Basil is one of my favorite herbs.

At first glance I thought this thread may be about Ocimum tenuiflorum more commonly referred to as "holy basil" a powerful medicinal herb pictured here flowering in our medicinal bed
IMG_20211213_094715661.jpg

Since this is a thread about the culinary herb. I will include pictures of the two varieties we grew this year. They are currently flowering we are hoping that they will self sow in the same bed. A sweet variety. And one that's called hot and spicy which has a similar flavor to purple Thai.
IMG_20211213_094740366_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211213_094733770.jpg

This is an uncommon & thus hard to locate Guyanese Basil with one strange name..Lord,the names of peppers etc.
from here are the utmost out of this world conversation piece I've ever heard.
To go with Tiger Teeth pepper we have A BASIL called "MARRIED MAN PORK"...I don't know how this came about??
Been looking for it& lo & behold <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I manage to get some seeds & it was a knock out...really perks up rice dishes form the Caribbean/and good to season almost anything
that needs seasoning...this & LIPPIA MICROMERA aka Guyana Fine Thyme& WIRI Peppers ...a lethal combination in a good way.:D
FYI: There is another thyme called Broad Leaf thyme aka Spanish Thyme that can be substituted as the L.MICROMERA is hard
to obtain.

From Guyana Ocimum sp.​

It has a very unique smell - a mix of Vanilla, citrus, licorice, and more. The leaves are narrower than your typical Sweet Basil but nearly as long. Can be propagated it from cuttings/seeds It flowers very little, and produces little seed, acting more like the (tender) perennial Basils. We'll keep playing…
From CYNTHIA NELSON>>>TASTE OF HOME GUYANESE BLOGGER BASED IN BARBADOS:
Let's discuss. How did this basil, the variety known as Basil Bush come to be known in Guyana as "Married Man Pork"? The basil has a wonderfully distinct flavour. When it is combined with broad-leaf thyme, the combination creates the signature taste of Guyanese Black Pudding. In Barbados, the broad-leaf thyme is known colloquially as "poor man's pork"; the reason being that the savoury, highly fragranced leaves give off the aroma and flavour of cooked meat. This would have been important at a time when there was little or no meat and cooks employed all their skills and knowledge to elevate "simple" ingredients. I find it interesting the reference to pork in the use of both of these herbs.

https://companionplants.com/catalog/images/Ocimum sp. Married Man Pork Basil.jpg

Last edited:
Back