beer Home Brew

Awesome Tony. I started my first a couple weeks ago from a kit and cannot wait till it is bottle conditioned here inanother week or two.

Yes Tony05 it is a given among those that have gone through the smells like piss tastes like piss therefore it must be piss stage of brewing but there does seem to be a lot of first timers that should be made aware of how essential cleanliness is. God youre beer looks beautiful, if (Belgian) beer wasnt so cheap ( £3.50uk for 4 500ml cans ) I am tempted to start brewing again. The most refreshing beer I have had on a very hot day was Spruce beer, unfortunately in the North East of England hot days are few and far between. Then again we have Newcastle Brown Ale, Cheers.

Hi Tony
I'm seriously wanting to start brewing my own beer, that English Brown Porter you mention back when you started this thread sound really good. I got Porter's book an am reading through it. I was wondering though, is there a learning curve to brewing that one should start off with a kit and use extracts then go to partial before moving into AG brewing? I've had beer from some of those kits and some are really, well not very good so I'm a little leery of buying a kit. The one kit that looks ay good to me is Coopers. Would that be a good one to get or am I really better just getting a big pot for a kettle, a couple of big plastic buckets for a firmenter and bottling and the other essentials and just buying the recipe ingredients? I can always save my empties for bottles. By the way can that Porter be made from extracts? :beer:

BTW does anyone know of a good reasonable brewers supply house on the East coast or even better in the Orlando / Centeral Florida area?

Well I work at a homebrew shop here in PA, and yes there are a lot on the east coast

http://www.southernhomebrew.com/info.html

thats a local one to orlando if I am not mistaken

and any beer can be made from extracts, its just a matter of doing the conversion, just know that you are limited to what you can do with extracts, but for the first time brewer I almost recommend it over AG brewing

its easier, it takes a lot less actual time to brew, and its less initial equipment

i do not recommend the recipe kits, as you never know if they are fresh or not

what I do recommend is find a recipe and go to your local shop or even order stuff online if you want, and piece together the recipe from scratch

Brewers Best makes some really good starting brew kits, which we sell at my place, and they are relatively cheap, around 60-70 bucks, and all you need on top of that is bottles and ingredients

Thanks for the great info. I just have one more question, with regards to the pot to cook, I have read that steel is best and aluminum but, what about a pot that is enameled?

Again thanks for the great info.

i bought my dad a brew kit for xmas so him and i will likely be getting into that. can anyone recomend a good source (thats ships to canada) for ingredients. also a basic brewing sticky would be great for those geting into the hobby.

Thanks for the great info. I just have one more question, with regards to the pot to cook, I have read that steel is best and aluminum but, what about a pot that is enameled?

Aluminum works, but I wouldnt ever use it because of the reason I list below for enamel, but yes stainless steel, and I stress stainless, is hands down the best

all 3 of my HLT's (hot liquor tanks) are stainless steel

enameled is even worse, you do not want any sort of metals or coatings leeching into your beer during the boil, as this can cause metallic and coppery flavors that will ruin a beer very easily

RocketMan said:

Ready for launch - 12/10 =)

5 yrs beer for the RM ...
wheebz said:
I have to rack a chocolate cream milk stout to the secondary to add the vanilla beans, starting gravity was 1.083, FG was 1.037, which falls within my range of .035 to .040, so it worked perfectly

yum ... sounds like my kind of beer ...

Back