beer Home Brew

hahaha holy jesus thats an amazing set up you got there man you must be pro at brewingsome tasty beverages. im just a cheap keeler and ferment it in the jug it came in lol nice little fishy aswell looks good

When I use to homebrew I dreamt of a rig like that or rather the idea of it. I never got past the 7 gal glass carboy however did learn to mash rather than use extract. The pics of your homebrew hoskey are simply delicious! After seeing your setup and pics I might have to figure out a way to start homebrewing again. Trouble is this horrible Las Vegas water. Chock full of salt and calcium I tell ya'...clogs the faucets and shower head every two weeks.

Thanks for the inspiration..
Cheers, TB.

Hey Cheezy.... I will check that site out.

HEre is a link to my Aussie home brewing home

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com

As for chilling the beer once boiled, see the 2 little things sticking out of the big keg on the right..... they are hose atachments. I drop a submersable pump in my pool and recirc water through an 18 meter 1/2 inch copper coil whick takes the heat out of it really quick. And i dont use a drop of water.

To clean it i juat wheel it outside, hose it all out, scrub all the sticky bits, and pump some hot watyer through the lines. Takes me 1/2 hr at the end of the day.

Texas...... i started out doing AG brewing with an esky and a keg with the top cut out to boil in. still use it to make smaller trial batches and specialty beers.

This setup took me 2 years to slowly build while i was using it at the same time. It kind of evolved if you know what i mean. If something didnt work i changed it and it turned into this.

And the beers are good. I recently won my State Home brewing championship and the beer (an english old ale) went on to get a 1st place in its clase in the Australian National Brewing Championships. I compeded against comercial brewers that brewed there own at home and beat them..... just!

cheers

Hey Tony05 I've been thinking about giving brewing my own beer a shot, what do you suggest for a beginner? how are those beginners kits?

I personally don't recommend kits, they are very limiting. The website link I gave has a recipe database, also www.brewyourown.com has great recipes.

I highly recommend it. You won't save tons of money, but you will be drinking high end brew at the budweiser price.

I bought water at the store Tex, 2 of those 2.5 gallon jugs are like $4.

The only reason i asked about a kit, was because i have none of the equipment. So I was thinking get a kit try out one or two recipes, then start trying different things.

tony05 said:
Mewithfish-1.jpg

I see you've finally shaved, bro.

As for the electricals, yeah, i'd be interested in see the plans....if your don't mind, of course.

WOW! that's an awesome set up! haven't seem something so elaborate for a home brewer before. granted, i don't know many people that home brew. :P

those beers look awesome also. :clap:

when are you opening up your brewery?

Kits are OK but the yeast that comes with them is usually crap and they are bittered with a liquis hop extract...... yuck. This leads to what is usually refered to as the "home brew taste"

here is how i would recomend you get started.

Get yourself a firmenter kit to get all the bits you need.

Instead of getting a pre hopped kit, buy a tin (1.5 kg or so) of light "unhopped" extract. Put this in a large 20 liter pot and disolve it all in 14 liters of water. boil your bittering hops for 45 to 60 min, add some flavour hops at 15 min before the end and some aroma hops in at the end of the boil.

disolve a KG of dextrose or malt extract in this and cool in the bath tub full of cool water.

tip it in the firmenter once cool, and try to strain out the hops with some nylon cloth thats been steralised. I can point you to a website here in aus that sells "hop socks" i put him onto them and he now sells them to anywhere. they are nylon filter socks and hold the hops while you boil them, then just lift them out at the end. Too easy.

top the firmenter up to 23 liters and firment with a nice clean yeast like US-05 for a dry yeast of any of the liquis dtrains can be used to make fantastic beers.

firment any beer at the lower limit of the yeasts capabilities. It will say on kits to firment at 20 to 27 deg C (dont know farenheit) I do it at 18! clean as a whistle and no home brew taste...... just premium beer taste!

let me know if you wnat help with a recipe to get started. I have started a lot of folks out with this and after making kits they sware to never go back...... ususally end up going AG.

cheers

I can help you with amounts and times if your keen. I just need to know the acid content of the hops and what hops and type of beer you want to make.

No brewery planned........ i like making beer for me..... not swill for the man!

I have it on tap in a keg in the fridge too and just built a 50 liter "water purifier"

cheers

most commercial beers give me a headache after half a glass/stubbie etc. And, no, I'm not that much of a light weight. I seem to be okay with apple ciders and some wines.

Tony05, could this be something other than the preservative? Is there preservative in yer home brew? How long does it keep? I'm not considering it currently, but it could be an option for me..

RS

PS I like the rig.

ring sting said:
most commercial beers give me a headache after half a glass/stubbie etc. And, no, I'm not that much of a light weight. I seem to be okay with apple ciders and some wines.

Tony05, could this be something other than the preservative? Is there preservative in yer home brew? How long does it keep? I'm not considering it currently, but it could be an option for me..

RS

PS I like the rig.
It could be that you are alergic to thigns that occur during the fermentation process, yeast, mold, etc.

Ring Sting ..sounds like a natural reaction to sulfites produced during natural fermentation. Very common occurence leading to headaches with very little actually drunk and in some cases allergic reactions. Your more heavily filtered fermented alcohols will have much less. Wines are generally on the high side..as well as homebrew. Homebrew is just another moniker meaning "better living through homemade chemicals".
Cheers, TB.

thats an amazing rig youve setup there for your "home brew" tony05, the best home brew Ive ever tried was made by one of the old local pro fisherman round here who just uses the yellow top coopers tin in his brew, its potent & knocks you, but clean tasting & hangover free:P believe me Ive drank plenty of it too!

I'm 74.923278% sure that you need some kind of permit here.
Well your awesome looking setup inspired me to build my own. time to do some reading and get parts!

No chenicals ect in my brew. Its brewed to German purity laws..... nothing but Malt, Hops, Yrast and Water.

Comercial beer gives me a hangover..... i can drink twice the home brew and feel fine the next day.

as for how long it keeps.... it lasts for ages. The beer i won the state title with was 2 years old and i have 8 bottles left that will be entered over the next couple of years to see how they go.

BB.... this is better than the old coopers lager with extra sugar to make it stronger.
Im talking James squire, Little creatures, premium microbrewery quality beer that you pay $60+ a carton for.

and i run it through a 1 micron filter and pour it from a 50 liter keg in a fridge for 45c a schooner.

The secret to making good home brew is using good yeast and firmenting it cool.

cheers

tony - starting from scratch - what's the easiest most cost effective way to make a decent brew of say 20 litres. And does this mean I have to bootle, sugar & cap...or spend a couple hundred on keg & gas....or is there another way?
My preferences are Tooheys new on a daily basis, Tooheys Old on w/ends.

mate have a look on the link to the home brew forum i posted above...... its great and you can get around 6000 brewers opinions, ideas ect.

Id say go with kegs!

the up front cost is a bit much but in 2 batches its payed for its self

lets break it down.

What does a carton of tooheys new cost..... $35?

23 liters is about 2.5 cartons. thats $87

to brew it as i described above you will need not including gear ect

malt extract: $10
dextrose: $5 max
hops: $4
yeast: $3, less if you reuse it

there is $32, thats a $55 dollar saving / batch.

bottles are cheap and easy but its not as good or easy as a keg.

with a keg, you can rack your beer of the yeast to a clean firmenter, chill it in a fridge for a couple of days to clear it, rack it to the keg and gas it in a day or 2 and start drinking. I run mine through a 1 micron filter to make it shinny clear and then gas it....... its like beer from the club.

there is better beer out there than new and old..... thats the beer i always swore by...... not any more.

Its a scary thing to delve into.... but you just have to jump in and have a go. A lot of people do it wrong and stop because it tastes like crap..... I like to try and help out people to make good beer.

start with a good kit.... the coopers premium range is good..... the blur draught kit is nice. FIrment it with a pack or US-05 yeast (chuck the one in the lid in the bin) at 18 to 20 deg. when its done, use a piece of tubing to rack the beer to a clean firmenter, making sure you fill it f rom the bottom and dont mix too much air in. Let this settle for a week to become clear and rack back to the origional firmenter.... this will remove most of the yeast. If you can get all the old yeast out, you wont get that dreded yeast cake in the bnottom of the bottle that makes the beer cloudy when poured.

I have a table that tells you how much dextrose to prime with to bottle. I disolve it all in a bit of boiling water and mix it into the ready to bottle beer., then bottle as normal..... this gives you perfect, even carbonation accrros every bottle and no risk or double prining potential bottle bombs. Its called "bulk primimg"

leave to gas up and enjoy.

cheers

Back