beer Home Brew

Today, I just brewed a summer ale with lemon peel and paradise seeds. I know that it's the first day of fall, so I guess I'm just really in denial. The truth of the matter is that I did not get a chance to brew at all this summer since my daughter was born in July, so I busted this batch out today. Maybe it will encourage the weather to stay summer-like for a while longer!

That sounds nice actually, seeing as we are about to head into Summer in a few months in Aus, care to share your recipe?

Sure, I'm always happy to share recipes or techniques or anything else related to brewing when I can help.

8 lbs 2-row pale
1 lb rye malt
1 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5-10 min)
1 oz lemon peel
2 grams paradise seed
1 tsp irish moss (15 mins)

Single infusion mash for pale and rye at 150F until conversion complete. Sparge to collect about 6.5 gallons and begin 60 minute boil. 1oz EKG at beginning of boil. Lemon peel, paradise seed, and irish moss at 15 minutes remaining. Remaining 1oz EKG at 10-5 minutes remaining. Cool to 70F and collect wort, which should be just above 5 gallons. Pitch your favorite yeast with a "clean" flavor profile. I used White Labs California Ale yeast (WLP001) but you could probably also use Nottingham yeast or something similar. If you want more lemon flavor, you could double the amount to 2oz.

Steve973 said:
Sure, I'm always happy to share recipes or techniques or anything else related to brewing when I can help.

8 lbs 2-row pale
1 lb rye malt
1 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5-10 min)
1 oz lemon peel
2 grams paradise seed
1 tsp irish moss (15 mins)

Single infusion mash for pale and rye at 150F until conversion complete. Sparge to collect about 6.5 gallons and begin 60 minute boil. 1oz EKG at beginning of boil. Lemon peel, paradise seed, and irish moss at 15 minutes remaining. Remaining 1oz EKG at 10-5 minutes remaining. Cool to 70F and collect wort, which should be just above 5 gallons. Pitch your favorite yeast with a "clean" flavor profile. I used White Labs California Ale yeast (WLP001) but you could probably also use Nottingham yeast or something similar. If you want more lemon flavor, you could double the amount to 2oz.

NICE!! I'm gonna show this to my buddy who brews and see if he'll whip it up too.

The rye would really spice it up

I currently have a beer fermenting that has been dubbed the Knight Rye-der

Its absicly a roggenbier but brewed to belgian dubbel specs and fermented with a belgian trapist yeast (3787)

ITa about 45% rye with the rest pils and dark wheat malt and a bit of caramel rye for colour and character.

Just tried a bit from the fermenter and its got a real oily texture from the rye.......... a common feature from some of the Roggenbiers i have made.

Combine the spicy ry flavour with the belgian yeast..... its going to an interesting beer.

Will report back on this one.

Also have oktobefect ready to filter and keg for next month. 50 liters @ 6% should make for some fun days at work

cheers

hey Tony, I love the golden ALE JAmes Squires beer, is the flavour of the beer from the amarillo hops?
whats the story of amorillo hops I can get a beer mnade with some of the samestuff at the Bru for you I go to?

I love amarillo hops! They definitely make a fantastic flavor and aroma hop. Lately, it is one of my favorites. Hmm, now I have thoughts of making an IPA that showcases this particular hop...

Yeah Stillz its Amarillo. Some of the character in that beer is from the hops and some is from malt. Its a well ballanced beer that mixed the 2 very well..... thats why its so good.

Whats the go with the Brew for you lot.......... do you have control over the brewing ect or do they do everything?

For a fella with such a skill and passion for recipes (sauce) you should make a great brewer.

I recon you would love all grain brewing........ dont need complex stuff.

I will take some pic's of the basic esky i use to mash in and a keg with the top cut out to boil in.

copper pipe made into a coil to chill it and your set!

LEt me know if your interested in some help. Im hapy to help you set up a simple system for bugger all $ that will make great beer.

Mashing is the easy bit, its all in the recipe formulation and fermentation. thats the make or break bit.

let me know

cheers

here are a couple beers i have has on tap recently. I thought i would share

American Rye beer.

AmericanRye832x1248.jpg

And an aussie wheat beer, made with 70% Australian wheat malt and hopped with New Zealand grown hops. Damn its good. This is whats on tap ATM.

AussieWheatBeer832x1248.jpg

i love home brewing!

cheers

tony05 said:
here are a couple beers i have has on tap recently. I thought i would share

American Rye beer.

AmericanRye832x1248.jpg

And an aussie wheat beer, made with 70% Australian wheat malt and hopped with New Zealand grown hops. Damn its good. This is whats on tap ATM.

AussieWheatBeer832x1248.jpg

i love home brewing!

cheers
As long as you don't make anything with wattle seed in it, you are good in my book :lol:

I also recently made a Chipottle ale.... ment to be roughly like the Rogue beer as its $16 a bottle here.

started with these:

TheChipotles.jpg

Chopped them up ready to be boiled with the brew.
I put some in the mash with the grain:

3inthemash.jpg

I put some in at the biggining and then some in at the end of the boil.

Chipotlesinthebrew.jpg

Here is the mess of chilli and hops after i drained the kettle.

DrainedKettle.jpg

I have it bottled and fingers crossed its not infected. I have had a bad run latly.
Should be about ready to crack and try when i get back home on the weekend.
I tried one before i left home for work a few weks back and it was still a bit rough but onnly a few days in the bottle.

I will report back next week on it.

cheers

As much as I love chile's and beer, I can't get my head around the concept of chile beer. It plumb evades me. Much like a wassail or Samiclaus. Sure I'll try one but I can't see drinking more than one in a blue moon.

Salute', TB.

Hey TB

It wont be a sesion beer thats for sure.

More of an experiment and a "crack one open now and then" beer.

It was just something i hadnt made before so now i can cross it off the list.

I still have the concept of a Honey and Basil beer in my head that wont go away as well. Maybe this summer.

There usually one off's but whats life if you dont try everything you can?

cheers

tony05 said:
Hey TB

It wont be a sesion beer thats for sure.

More of an experiment and a "crack one open now and then" beer.

It was just something i hadnt made before so now i can cross it off the list.

I still have the concept of a Honey and Basil beer in my head that wont go away as well. Maybe this summer.

There usually one off's but whats life if you dont try everything you can?

cheers
What kind of basil? It sounds interesting, but i can't much grasp the taste. A thai basil to really get the anisette flavors might be nice. I once had a basil seed drink made with honey, water, and basil seeds and thought it'd taste good fermented, though lumpy. If you bottled it instead of kegging it, you could probably make a decent basil seed beer. Might make an interesting texture with all the seeds floating around.

Nice rig BTW Tony.

My hab brew lasted almost 2 years. (5 gallons)

The last 2 were hard for me to drink because I loved it so much by then.

I hated to see them go.

IGGY tried one.

They were HOT!

just put this baby on tap.

Maibock

about 6.5% ABV, malty, slightly hoppy initially but malt shines through in the end. Clean, sweet but ballancing biterness cuts it to stop it being cloying.

Its truly a summer bock. Big, bold, and dangerously drinkable!

Maibock2832x1248.jpg

Maibock1832x1248.jpg

Awsome!

Just filtered 50 liters of summer brown porter tonight and dropped a batch of Belgian saison stout in the freezer.... ready to filter.

The kegorator is looking good :)

cheers

looks fockin beauty..needs to be darker tho IMO.... ;)

When I come to AU, I'm gonna stalk joo...lol!

Man, u do good work mate.

c0fff/hax/whzzz/..dumbazz me..i put a tsp of Skioban in about 22oz of beer thinkin' it's a good plan..I was sorta right..

Tastes good, but kiking myu bhut..lol

redbeer from hades...fuk it's hottt

fukign dumbass chuilehead I is...lol

yet, i keep drinking it...May the gods be kind...

(later)

OK..just tok a slurp right to the bakkaDaThroat....

(abotu 3min later...)

I couldnt breathe for way too long...i gott put it down before i kill my drunk self.

NOTE TO OTHERS: Don't fuk around wit Trinidad Scorpions!

Yes, I'm still drinking it..wasting alchohol is up wit wasting chiles...I shal not.

Maibock is a pale bock. Mine is actually at the dark end of the range.

Traditional and dubbel bock are darker :)

If your in Aus.... your welcome for a beer.

cheers

AH, slainte mhath...and assuming I live that long, I do wish to visit AU some day.

Why is beer so difficult....damn Europeans.

Beer is beer..they dint invent it.

Has been just BEER for 5,000 yrs.

BAH, ya wonder why we Celt never drank lota beer until the 19th cent...we made better things...

Like inventing Scotch nearly a thousand years ago by accident.

Back