• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Home owners not being allow to grow a garden.

Pepperguy, I read that wrong the first time.  Imagined cows in the middle of a restaurant like lobster.  I will have that cow thank you.  Medium rare.

Why are we still criminalizing new things in this country? The last thing we need is more laws and more illegal activities.

Mene said:
Why are we still criminalizing new things in this country? The last thing we need is more laws and more illegal activities.

Fear.

Those who would seek to control fear the freedom of those beyond their control.

American culture seems to have taken a strong turn toward authoritarianism over the last few decades.  
The ongoing - never ending -  "Terror!!" theme has only enhanced suspicion and fear of anything that's not 100% 'normal.'
And when Joe Sixpack's perception of 'normal' is based on IQ-30 news (flavor of your choice!) and sticom TeeVee, you don't have to be much of an eccentric to stand out from the crowd.

:(

The subversion of America comes from within.

College campuses (and even primary schools) are a cesspool of anti-American sentiment.

The enemies of America realize they can never defeat us by force, so they choose to poison the minds of our youth to destroy us.

this isnt a constitutional issue. its a legal or contractual one.

this is all HOA related shit with very few exceptions.  if you want to grow shit in your front yard, you need make sure your HOA does not explicitly disallow it.

HOA's range from the type that basically just look out for burnt out cameros on blocks in front lawns and year round christmas decorations... all the way to HYPER strict closed gate old people HOA's where you have to get roofing shingles approved... landscaping approved... no oil stains... no children in permanent residency, no dogs/cats etc etc. 

i dont see how people can bitch about HOA restrictions when they agree to them. especially when you can usually get variances or tacit approvals from the association before hand.
regarding HOA's in particular, unless we are talking about a very "tight" HOA... 9 times out of 10 they just wants to know about what you are doing before hand and have SOME input.

i dont know how to explain it... but just bring them a sketch and a paint samples makes the board feel involved and important and FAR more amenable to anything out of the ordinary.

like when i redid all of the soffit and fascia, they were notified that this and that was going to be taking place, and that it was going to be a slow rehab job owing to the extent of work, but ultimatly a big improvement... and they are like fine what ever and attach documents to the email detailing all of the restrictions and shit.

had i not notified them? id be getting letters all day about building materials on the drive way and missing trim and what ever else.

im guessing that had this person approached the HOA during a meeting with a conceptual sketch he could have avoided all of this bullshit and this jerkoff press attention.

queequeg152 said:
this isnt a constitutional issue. its a legal or contractual one.

this is all HOA related shit with very few exceptions.  if you want to grow shit in your front yard, you need make sure your HOA does not explicitly disallow it.

HOA's range from the type that basically just look out for burnt out cameros on blocks in front lawns and year round christmas decorations... all the way to HYPER strict closed gate old people HOA's where you have to get roofing shingles approved... landscaping approved... no oil stains... no children in permanent residency, no dogs/cats etc etc. 

i dont see how people can bitch about HOA restrictions when they agree to them. especially when you can usually get variances or tacit approvals from the association before hand.
regarding HOA's in particular, unless we are talking about a very "tight" HOA... 9 times out of 10 they just wants to know about what you are doing before hand and have SOME input.

i dont know how to explain it... but just bring them a sketch and a paint samples makes the board feel involved and important and FAR more amenable to anything out of the ordinary.

like when i redid all of the soffit and fascia, they were notified that this and that was going to be taking place, and that it was going to be a slow rehab job owing to the extent of work, but ultimatly a big improvement... and they are like fine what ever and attach documents to the email detailing all of the restrictions and shit.

had i not notified them? id be getting letters all day about building materials on the drive way and missing trim and what ever else.

im guessing that had this person approached the HOA during a meeting with a conceptual sketch he could have avoided all of this bullshit and this jerkoff press attention.
I think deed restrictions are morally and ethically wrong when it comes to personal property use.   Especially when folks start using their opinions as to what is a reasonable restriction.  

HOAs are great in concept, but horrible in real life.   Just like communism.  

Vicious Vex said:
I think deed restrictions are morally and ethically wrong when it comes to personal property use.   Especially when folks start using their opinions as to what is a reasonable restriction.  

HOAs are great in concept, but horrible in real life.   Just like communism.  

if you think  communism is great in concept, then ill ask you to re read some of the tenets of Marxism lol.
the concept of communism is alot more than the touchy feely everyones equal bullshit people boil it down to be.

deed restrictions are not morally wrong because they are not mandatory. if you dont want deed restrictions you are welcome to live somewhere unincorporated its as simple as that.

the only time HOA enforcement is immoral is imo, when they are retroactively applied to houses or owners established prior. this is possible in several states i believe.

there is a certain amount of collectivism that takes place when you build and develop residences densely like suburbs.

if you want to get to work 20 minutes earlier and choose to live in a suburb with 2500 people per square mile... deed restrictions naturally follow. 

its not like these HOA's are authoritarian anyway. they have board meetlings like the little non profit corporations they are... you can vote for elections and petition the board and do what ever else, there is nothing stopping you except laziness.

Both Vladimir Lenin and Ronald Reagan commented about 'voting with one's feet'.

Also, one of my personal favorites: Groucho Marx said: 'I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member'.

I do not mind rules.  I mind when rules change.  Lived in a condo for a time.  The management company and home owners association would pull new rules out their butts without any sense of a democratic process.  We had enclosed patio areas, fenced in with a gate.  One year, they decided we were not allowed to grow food on our patios.  Nobody could see my tomato and pepper plants, all container grown, no taller than the fence.  How did they even know they were there to fine me?  Answer: They would routinely trespass, open the gate and inspect.  So I locked the gate.  That led to a rule saying you could not lock your gate.

That summer the pool was taken over by a fairly large group of nudists.  Nobody knows who posted the information to the forums and in the local nudist news letter.  It was glorious.  That fall, someone painted all the house numbers a different color and replaced porch lights with party bulbs.

ajdrew said:
I do not mind rules.  I mind when rules change.  Lived in a condo for a time.  The management company and home owners association would pull new rules out their butts without any sense of a democratic process.  We had enclosed patio areas, fenced in with a gate.  One year, they decided we were not allowed to grow food on our patios.  Nobody could see my tomato and pepper plants, all container grown, no taller than the fence.  How did they even know they were there to fine me?  Answer: They would routinely trespass, open the gate and inspect.  So I locked the gate.  That led to a rule saying you could not lock your gate.

That summer the pool was taken over by a fairly large group of nudists.  Nobody knows who posted the information to the forums and in the local nudist news letter.  It was glorious.  That fall, someone painted all the house numbers a different color and replaced porch lights with party bulbs.

how many association meetings did you attend though?  because i thin you will find that people are bitching about shit they dont like and getting rules crafted to prevent it.

if you just let the old  shitty people run the association, you get what you get.

regarding the nudist folks... i dont get that? were you living in a swingers community or something like that? even the most liberal folks i know would loose their minds if nudists showed up in any public place.

Que, lots.  Attending was part of how I annoyed them.  My favorite meeting was when they decided that the fine for not picking up after your dog would be split between the association and the person that turned someone in.  Yep, we had poop patrol bounty for a time.

On the nudist swim.  Nope, no one on the home owners association knew it was planned.  It just sort of appeared in the various online listings and in the news paper.  Nobody has any idea how it happened.  Just one Saturday a bunch of naked people rushed the pool.  Yep, the board and most residents lost their minds.  Lots of cops, it was soooo funny.

Back