• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Homemade dutch bucket recirculating drip system (vid)

Hey TCG I like the system, can I suggest a medium for you? bottom third clay pebbles middle section a mix of 30% clay pebbles, 70% coco coir and thin a top layer of clay pebbles , it should work no worries... you may have to give it a few tweeks, omount of water feeding through drip feed, the time it feeds and how many times per day???? just some suggestions hope you don't mind?

Thanks for the suggestions I was going to go with a hydroton / coco mix, but I really like the layering idea. I'll probably fill it up to the water level with hydroton, then do the hydroton/coco mix, then top it off with hydroton.

And no idea aobut the feeding yet, but i'm limited to feeding a minimum of 15 minutes due to my shitty timer. And I have no means of adjusting the rate of flow at this point, but I have an idea for a simple method and not strain the pump if the need arises.

you should be able to get some small taps for the drippers and 15 min should be plenty, you may even be able to go 10 mins with more waterings during the day....just trial and error till you get it right, each system is different from the other

Txclosetgrower said:
. And I have no means of adjusting the rate of flow at this point, but I have an idea for a simple method and not strain the pump if the need arises.

What about a ball valve right out of the mainline of the pump, you could twist and turn it to let more or less flow. It's how we did it in the aquarium world for our sump returns.

It would probably cost you less than 5 bucks

images

FiveSix said:
What about a ball valve right out of the mainline of the pump, you could twist and turn it to let more or less flow. It's how we did it in the aquarium world for our sump returns.

It would probably cost you less than 5 bucks

images

I was thinking a T fitting inline from the pump with a ball valve on the bottom of the t. This way if you open the valve the water would just flow back into the tank. Figured that would allow me to adjust flow without causing extra pressure at the pump

So basically the same thing

Heya There TX!...

I have to throw in my 2 cents for your grow media... :) I have used hydroton in netpots with an ebb and flow table and when your plants get larger and they have lots of pods on them the weight may make the bucket tip (unless those are seated really well, I never used the dutch buckets). Hydroton, is really light even wet... and so I have yet another (CHEAPER!) suggestion for you... Aquarium gravel!!! plain natural smooth rocks that you buy in a pet store, makes a great place for the roots, as you can flood in 15 minute increments you don't need to worry about the plant drying out that much... I used to flood my tray 15 minutes per hour...ie. 15 on then 45 off...and never had a problem. It may not be the answer with the dutch bucket system but think about the weight of a larger plant with pods...I just don't want to see you lose all your hard work again bud!, excellent job on everything.

PeterPepperPicker said:
Heya There TX!...

I have to throw in my 2 cents for your grow media... :) I have used hydroton in netpots with an ebb and flow table and when your plants get larger and they have lots of pods on them the weight may make the bucket tip (unless those are seated really well, I never used the dutch buckets). Hydroton, is really light even wet... and so I have yet another (CHEAPER!) suggestion for you... Aquarium gravel!!! plain natural smooth rocks that you buy in a pet store, makes a great place for the roots, as you can flood in 15 minute increments you don't need to worry about the plant drying out that much... I used to flood my tray 15 minutes per hour...ie. 15 on then 45 off...and never had a problem. It may not be the answer with the dutch bucket system but think about the weight of a larger plant with pods...I just don't want to see you lose all your hard work again bud!, excellent job on everything.

Plan is to tie heavy plants to the top of the growbox like in a greenhouse. Lol and I already bought the hydroton.

Good idea though

JJBagoose said:
I've made a dutch oven but never a dutch bucket.

:P

Did Paris mind?:hot:

I was thinking a T fitting inline from the pump with a ball valve on the bottom of the t. This way if you open the valve the water would just flow back into the tank. Figured that would allow me to adjust flow without causing extra pressure at the pump

So basically the same thing

I'm sure you'll post a pic for me when it's done! :cheers:

Back