• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Homemade Sriracha sauce (raw + fermented)

I have a lot reading about sriracha sauce, I know that is not difficult. then  I want to make homemade sriracha.
I think make a sauce similar to that sell on the grocery but a more fresh flavor.
So we'll do a test after reviewing some recipes.

For this ferment I used sauerkraut like starter and a anuum pepper mix. jalapeños, Serranos, cacho de cabra, cayenne, etc and some Bishops crown.

1-1/2 pound frozen peppers
4 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespon pink salt of the hymalayas
9 garlic clows
1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce

Where we go!

We washed the peppers on tap, and remove the end capes.

2015-06-12%2B15.06.02.jpg

put all ingredients into food processor and crushed

2015-06-12%2B15.22.15.jpg

When the processing was finished, I have a mass... I would want to eating now, that smell is delicious!!!

2015-06-12%2B15.34.49.jpg

Then the must is placed in a sterilized jar 1000cc.

2015-06-12%2B15.34.36.jpg

Now, going to fermenting for 7 days...

2015-06-12%2B15.36.16.jpg

If this sriracha sauce I like, next time I make, be a 1 gallon jar

jeffinsgf said:
I made sriracha today, too, but I don't have the courage to try fermented sauce...yet. 

I used this recipe: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/sriracha-recipe-chili-garlic-hot-sauce/ with twice the recommended garlic, palm sugar instead of granulated, cooked quite a bit longer than the recipe called for, and strained rather than blended. I am very happy with the results. 

My peppers are just starting to come in heavy, maybe in a couple weeks I will work up the courage to try a fermented sriracha like cypresshill1973
No worries jeffinsgf !! Fermenting is fun and easy!! And the flavor profile it provides is absolutely fantastic. Just give fermenting 101 a good review. Then make sure to have the necessary equipment as outlined in fermenting 101. The expense in the beginning is minimal. You won't be sorry!! :) lots of fun to watch your creation bubbling away the great pepper smell it gives off! Fantastic. And when your ready give any of the fermenting members a holler we all would be glad to help with any problems. Or just a guiding hand. :)
Cheers
cypresshill1973 said:
Thanks RM! I will try it
Nice job my friend!! :) looks like yer and old pro already!! I definitely agree with RocketMan you should let those ferments run. I love to let mine run for 45/90 days and then allow to rest to age a little I have one coming up on one year! :) going to process soon was so tempted many times to open but the anticipation is half the fun. Lol :)

Thanks oldsalty!  Happened that the recipes I viewed in Internet, says to ferment only seven days for sriracha.

Believe me the flavor is great although few working days ferment... Smell and taste like ferments aged.

I have made many ferments and made many sauces and know. But I will try ferment more days next time.

nubster said:
I have two jars I made and forgot about. They've been fermenting for nearly two years now. Think they are ready?
Most ferments are completed by the end of 8 weeks.

But yeah, always check the ph level and make sure it's below 4 before eating it. 3.5 ph is even better.
I would think after two years, the sweetness factor is probably gone, so if you want it to taste more like sriracha you may have to add some sort of sweetner to it.

Back