• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Horseradish

I just made prepared horseradish from my own plants for the first time, WOW! I thought the fumes coming off a moruga or ghost sauce were potent, when i opened the processor it was like getting punched in the face.  It literally brought me to my knees.  Has anyone tried incorporating horseradish into a sauce?  I was thinking of adding a moruga to my next batch of horseradish :flamethrower:

dragonsfire said:
Add some honey to cut down the heat maybe  ?? balance that out with vinegar if its too sweet.
it already had honey in it. I tried all kinds of things to save it but to no avail. It was a failure, i had to accept it and will try again.

Mix it with mayo and saved and use on roast beef and other sammies. Save it separately and add to mayo as needed. If still too hot just use more mayo.

I make a catsup with horseradish and cayennes. Over time I find the nasal aspect does weaken some but there's still a wonderful tongue taste contributed by the horseradish that nothing else can duplicate.

I LOVE HORSERADISH!

20150607_170348.jpg

20150625_183717.jpg

Topsmoke said:
so I made my Chocolate habanero, Ghost, Moruga horseradish sauce and to be honest..
It was so F&*king hot all i tasted was the death of my tongue.  It had an uncharacteristic deep throat burn much like swallowing a pinecone that Im attributing to the horseradish.  I didnt like it.  Im going to try again with seeded pods and see if that helps because the aroma was awesome!
The horseradish is going to give you a little burn compared to the peppers but you will get more of a sinus cavity burn that is akin to taking a deep breath from a cup of ammonia. The deep throat burn you refer to is more likely from the morugas.

CAPCOM said:
The horseradish is going to give you a little burn compared to the peppers but you will get more of a sinus cavity burn that is akin to taking a deep breath from a cup of ammonia. The deep throat burn you refer to is more likely from the morugas.
it wasnt moruga, Moruga is a stinging type of heat but i think i actually just had a mild sore throat that was exacerbated by the whole thing.

The Hot Pepper said:
It loses potency over time so doesn't really work in sauces except fresh.
so i did remake this with cored peppers and its still crazy hot.  Guess it dosent matter if you core a Moruga since its walls are permeated with capsaicin.  It has lost any punch the horse radish may have given it but i suspect it was overpowered by the peppers all along.  I also noticed a huge loss in potency to my preparred horse radish that i had made after only a month or two.  So there you go.  I really want to reiterrate just how nasty this Moruga/Ghost/ChocoHab combo is it just destroys the tongue. :fire:

Topsmoke said:
it wasnt moruga, Moruga is a stinging type of heat but i think i actually just had a mild sore throat that was exacerbated by the whole thing.

so i did remake this with cored peppers and its still crazy hot.  Guess it dosent matter if you core a Moruga since its walls are permeated with capsaicin.  It has lost any punch the horse radish may have given it but i suspect it was overpowered by the peppers all along.  I also noticed a huge loss in potency to my preparred horse radish that i had made after only a month or two.  So there you go.  I really want to reiterrate just how nasty this Moruga/Ghost/ChocoHab combo is it just destroys the tongue. :fire:
Did you use red morugas?

chiltepin said:
Jeff
I posted my puny plant in the thread post #16. What have you got growing? How do you prepare the roots? So do you also eat the leaves?
Understand first it will probably take 2 seasons before you get significant root mass for a harvest and retention root for follow successive seasons. I just take the roots and break them down so I can spread them out for plenty of room. They will want room.
Take your potted plants outnof the container and place them in an area that it does not matter if that spread (as they will). And ignore them.

CAPCOM said:
Did you use red morugas?
yes
chiltepin said:
Jeff

I posted my puny plant in the thread post #16. What have you got growing? How do you prepare the roots? So do you also eat the leaves?
IMG_1508_zpsv9hsuetp.jpg

my daughter and I hunted down this bad boy today.  This was grown this year with a 6in. root piece the diameter of a sharpie marker.  I was actually a little disappointed with the size as i had harvested one earlier twice as big.  Horseradish is better after a frost or a whole winter so usually you harvest after the leaves are dead but i dont think youd want to eat them anyway.  hose off the dirt, chop the top and either grate for fresh use or peel and throw it in the processor with salt and vinegar for prepared HR. 

Topsmoke said:
IMG_1508_zpsv9hsuetp.jpg

my daughter and I hunted down this bad boy today.  This was grown this year with a 6in. root piece the diameter of a sharpie marker.  I was actually a little disappointed with the size as i had harvested one earlier twice as big.  Horseradish is better after a frost or a whole winter so usually you harvest after the leaves are dead but i dont think youd want to eat them anyway.  hose off the dirt, chop the top and either grate for fresh use or peel and throw it in the processor with salt and vinegar for prepared HR.
Red morugas will have that stinging effect whereas brown morugas have a nice deep solid BURN, a roast if you will. I for the most part dislike peppers that have that stingy effect.
That's a really nice first year root. Generally it is best not to expect too much till established.

CAPCOM said:
Red morugas will have that stinging effect whereas brown morugas have a nice deep solid BURN, a roast if you will. I for the most part dislike peppers that have that stingy effect.
That's a really nice first year root. Generally it b is best not to expect too much time established.
love the red moruga burn.  I equate it to getting smacked in the tongue with a wire brush. That plant created two daughters.

Topsmoke said:
love the red moruga burn.  I equate it to getting smacked in the tongue with a wire brush. That plant created two daughters.
I got a few what appears to be dark phenol brown morugas ripening on my grow room plants. I may just take some root and some brown moruga and grind it up together and see what I end up with.

Back