• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

condiment Hot Barbeque Sauce

Alright well I want to take a stab at making a super hot BBQ sauce. What I am wondering is what angle should I take? Should I just search the web and modify it with some of the chile's I have growing ?? Or could some of you indulge a few ideas towards this. Here's a list of chile's I have that I would want to utilize: Dorset Naga, Naga Morich, Chocolate Hab, Yellow 7, Red 7, Caribbean Hab, and Orange Hab. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I usually just toss on my fave hot sauce with my fav BBQ sauce. That way, everyone in the house can enjoy the BBQ sauce....and I can alter the heat based on the situation.

It's just really easy for me. And I'm ALLLL about easy! ;)

Tomato-based is really ketchup-based. You can start with ketchup, or make your own, then add brown sugar, molasses, onion, garlic, vinegar, your peppers, and whatever else you want. Cook it down.

Alright well I want to take a stab at making a super hot BBQ sauce. What I am wondering is what angle should I take? Should I just search the web and modify it with some of the chile's I have growing ?? Or could some of you indulge a few ideas towards this. Here's a list of chile's I have that I would want to utilize: Dorset Naga, Naga Morich, Chocolate Hab, Yellow 7, Red 7, Caribbean Hab, and Orange Hab. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't tasted all of the chiles you have listed, but think about the rest of the flavors in the sauce, which will probably be fairly strong. Yellow 7s have a nice flavor (imho) and would probably get overpowered by the other flavors in a bbq sauce. They would add heat, but do you want to "waste" the nice tasting pepper in a bbq sauce like that?

Morich, choc hab, and probably carib hab would be good, (don't know about the Dorset, haven't tried it).

No ketchup goes in my tomato based BBQ sauce, only freshly juiced homegrown maters, molasses, onions, garlic, salt, white vinegar, cajun seasoning, fresh chilies, sugar and a little Naga powder. The heat level is adjusted at grilling time with the addition of homemade hot sauce depending on the preference of the crowd served. :)

No I meant BBQ sauce is really ketchup with other flavors. You can start with tomatoes, vinegar, onion, garlic... that's ketchup right there, and keep adding until you have BBQ sauce. I never start with actual prepared ketchup. You could though.

If someone is creating from scratch and never made it before it helps knowing it's really ketchup with sweet and other flavors. They can create the base and then continue.

Hmmm I guess you misread my post. I'm talking about using fresh ingredients to create your "ketchup" as your base ;). Tomato-based yeah, but those ingredients are the same as ketchup. The word ketchup scares too many people. BBQ sauce has ketchup if it has tomatoes, vinegar, onions, garlic, salt... fresh or not.

I just added Holy Jalokia to Rudy's BBQ Sause and it was fantastic. This may not the idea you were looking for, but adding the chiles you like the most to BBQ sauce you like the most is an easy and simple way.

So you consider spaghetti sauce as really altered ketchup too???

IMO, just because something has the same ingredients, they are in different proportions and prepared differently and aren't the same at all, similar maybe. :drunk:

The popular American style BBQ sauce is a ketchup base. If you read the ingredients you will either see the word ketchup, or the same ingredients. If you are creating from scratch you can master the base (basically ketchup) and create all different kinds. With fresh ingredients of course.

Just trying to help the OP. Once you understand the base you can create whatever you want.

Just my 2 cents.

It's up to you man it was just a suggestion for a starting point if you like the supermarket style sauces. Otherwise just do your thang.

Yuppers. And vinegar-based (good for pulled pork because it's not thick and it gets in all the nooks) and dare I say, mayonnaise based (see Gibson's white sauce). ;)

Back