• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hot Paper Lanterns....Ready to Go!

I didn't grow any Hot Paper Lanterns this year, but I've always enjoyed the heat level and flavor a lot. I couldn't pass up a quart for a $1 at my local market. I tossed them into the dehydrator @ 115 deg F after taking seeds out. 18 hrs later, they're ready to go. :)

Chris

P1070410.jpg

Hey Chris you are on the money all time always find something at your market at Michigan do those people come out with new peppers all time look a like you found a jack pot at that place not bad, here in Ohio they don't have that many places you can find something new all same stuff year after year.

Paper lanterns are a fantastic pepper with a lovely deep flavor no wonder they love them in the caribean and the way you have prepared those id have them at breakfast with eggs and bacon..Im drooling now :lol:

talas said:
Paper lanterns are a fantastic pepper with a lovely deep flavor no wonder they love them in the caribean and the way you have prepared those id have them at breakfast with eggs and bacon..Im drooling now :lol:
Good to here I had planned on growing them next year.

YUMMY...SEE BELOW. First try mixing sweet and hot C. Chinense pods for a new flavor. I'll be grinding soon. The hard part is over. :)

Chris

P1070413.jpg

Yes you will make nice blend together all those will make awesome powder,with mash I use to mix sweet & hot peppers when making hot sauce to make better flavor same way works very well.

A few pics of the finished product...I wanted to illustrate the difference in the fineness of the powders. What you use to grind the pods makes a difference.

I start with a Cuisinart mini-food processor to rough up the dried pods into flakes. This works VERY well.

THe first picture shows the pods on the left run through a Krups coffee grinder. This produces the finest texture. The powder in the first picture on the right was ran through a Magic Bullet spin-off type blender.

To show that the Krups is more effective at fine grind, I re-ran the powder on the right through the Krups coffee grinder and took another shot.

It'a all good regardless. I like my powders like dust.

Chris

P1070415.jpg

P1070416.jpg

I do the same process as you Chris. I like the magic bullet but the coffee grinders do make a finer powder and the cuisinart is great for pre-chopping bulky peppers small enough for the grinder.

Where do you fnd these magic bullet type grinders?

The krups are available at the local wally world for about a 20 spot. I would like to be able to "pre-grind" the bigger stuff.:hell:

BigDogDaddy said:
Infomercials:lol:
or you local discount store. I haven't seen them anywhere in a while but I'd buy another one if I could find it as cheap as I got my first one.

BigDogDaddy said:

The krups are available at the local wally world for about a 20 spot. I would like to be able to "pre-grind" the bigger stuff.:hell:

Here in SE Pennsylvania the department store Kohl's has 'em.

POTAWIE said:
Infomercials:lol:
or you local discount store. I haven't seen them anywhere in a while but I'd buy another one if I could find it as cheap as I got my first one.

EBAY. looks like they go for around $20 on up.

I love the Hot Paper Lanterns, too. I have three plants that have been very prolific. They just seem to have the perfect heat/flavour combination. Crispy, juicy sweet and hot. And they look fantastic:

DSCN3067.jpg

I also use a coffee grinder and the Magic Bullet. It all depends on how fine you like your dry spice to be. Sometimes it's nice to have the flakes - other times the powder.

Your bunch of Paper Lanterns look great. $1.00 for all that?! What-A-Deal!

Back