• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hot pepper effects come and go?

When I first started eating hot stuff on a, shall I say "larger scale" (ie. I liked hot stuff since I was a kid, I just increased the amount of heat I eat by... well, a lot since I started getting heavily into peppers over the last couple years), I noticed I got a runny nose frequently, and watering eyes occasionally. Nothing new there: those are the two things I noticed after pouring packet after packet of Taco Bell's Hot Sauce on my food when I was young.

Then later on it seemed that the most I would get is a runny nose (though more rarely), almost never watering eyes. Now lately, I've been noticing a runny nose, occasional watering eyes, and for the first time--as Neil puts it--"here comes the drool". Very thick drool that needs constant swallowing. Not just any drool either--some of the thickest, hardest to swallow saliva I've ever experienced.

It's weird really; I always wondered if Neil was serious when watching his videos; he always ended up mentioning the drool, and I wondered, "WTF? I never get that... ever..." And all of a sudden I noticed lately that I've been getting that effect. I don't know yet if it's just an effect of certain peppers (I first started noticing it with the Nagas, although they didn't seem much hotter than what I was used to until the next day :shocked: ) or the heat (I had some real hot tacos a couple days ago with two Congo Yellows and four Jamaican Hot Chocolates--the most habanero-type peppers I've ever used).

So I guess my question is, have any of you noticed a gradual change in effects after eating hot peppers? What do you think it is: A result of more heat, different capsaisinoid levels of different peppers, or something else?

On a related note, I've been noticing an increase in the amount of burning the day after during (and several minutes after) a #2, even though the food itself actually seems to burn less while I eat it... so it seems my tolerance is going up. I see that as both good and bad; good because I can enjoy the flavors more along with the heat, bad because less heat while eating and and the burning shits sucks.

I find that I only get the drool with things that are extremely hot. I think it's your mouths way of dealing with heat.
I've never had hiccups(yet) and or eyes watering but I almost always get a runny nose. Sweat normally only if the heat is high.
I find that day after heat depends on how much I eat, what else I eat and how much I drink.
If you have a issue with day afters I'd suggest not eating the seeds.

I get many different effects from the same peppers. I often get hiccups, but not always. sometimes I get the saliva, sometimes now. Sometimes I get the burning #2, I always pray that I don't. I've never had the really thick drool though.

But how hungry you are can really affect how you react to heat levels though.

Yeah... I get the occasional hiccups too--mostly when eating habanero-level and hotter peppers whole. It's quite rare to get while eating food infused with peppers, but that occasionally happens too. Same with pain in my ears, which I occasionally get. But it seems those two things are direct results of the heat; it never seems to happen when I eat something that doesn't "feel" very hot. And I'm glad, because these are the worst effects, IMO.

Last night I had some vegetable soup and I put about a 1/2 tsp of Chocolate Thunder powder in. The first spoon of soup was crazy, it was like a bowl of pure hot sauce. Eventually I got the hiccups,etc... and I took a short break, I went back at it and it got easier. Eventually I broke through the hiccups and just kept feeding the fire in my mouth. It was super hot, but not painful. I worried at first about 6 yrs ago when I noticed that I had built up a tolerance, but with the Bhut, 7pot and Scorpions I have all I need. I don't think I've damaged my taste buds, I just like it really really hot all over from lips to throat.

I'm also lucky that the burn usually stops at my throat, every once in a while I feel it in my stomach, but that's about it. Don't know why, but I'm glad I can keep it contained.

You're gettin' old, buddy. Starting to drool. It happens to all of us, eventually. Hot peppers expose the process earlier.

I always get the hiccups when eating a fresh pod....sort of why I don't do it too often anymore, though I still take a nip off em to test em out, I refrain from eating the entire pod because of the hiccups. Fresh chocolate habs will give me hiccups occassionally when bitting.

Maybe not. Chocolate habs are definately on the hotter end of peppers I've tried thus far. I'll really know the deal when my super hots grow out next year, but for now, the chocolate habs really do it.

I'm in the same boat as you. They're my hottest pepper by far.

Back