• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense How are your bonnets doing?

"morturo" maybe after eating that 😁
I ate it last night for supper, shared some with the wife. :party:

WOW! They were awesome good,l & verry :hot::mouthonfire: :shh:
So tasty, I have to believe this BC offering must be MOA, from a farmer in Jamacia.

What a feeling, No pain, just right.

Fantasizing Dreaming Of You GIF by Luis Ricardo
Dance Halloween GIF by Riot Society

At least you have a wife that eats scotch bonnets! My wife will never do that! Except maybe my pineapple-scotch-bonnet-jam but that's only very mildly hot...

@MarcV Will you post a recipe for your Jam please?
Scotch Bonnets & so may fruits mix so well.

We are making a Salsa Rojo today with Tepidaria do Werner Peppers as the main pepper with SBs for boosting the heat to Hot.
They fit right in & only boost the flavor & heat to make it perfect.

How is the flavor on those homestead bonnets? I bought a few packs from them awhile back.

So far the only bonnet I’ve grown has been MOA …. No bonnet shape at all but my god the flavor is out of this world. Instantly became my favorite pepper.

To all you bonnet lovers, do all the varieties have this great of a flavor? I would love to find a bonnet with actual bonnet shape but equal flavor…. though I wouldn’t want to jeopardize the flavor for asthetics…. These things just taste so wonderful.

Ok rant over…. 😆😆😆

Last edited:
So far the only bonnet I’ve grown has been MOA
It's not easy for me to believe this young farmer ordered his seeds from Burpees seeds,
instead of using MOA from his own Ministry Of Agriculture. He farms in Jamaica & gets
seed from the MOA for great prices.

As for the flavor, it's off the charts great & the fire is pure scotchie.

Last edited:
As for the flavor, it's off the charts great & the fire is pure scotchie.

Forgive me here as Im slow to get my morning coffee and maybe Im riding the short bus over here today ..... are you referring to The Homestead Seed Company Scotch bonnets here .... or the ones from rareseeds.com ? Im sure they are probably all similar so its likely a moot point, but Im getting down to having to decide on one or two more plants for my final spots and would like to plant another bonnet.

Last edited:
Will you post a recipe for your Jam please?
Scotch Bonnets & so may fruits mix so well.

Sure... I think I already posted it somewhere on the forum but I'd have to look for it myself, so here goes...

Clean a pineapple, keeping all the good stuff. Cut to pieces and put in blender. Clean the scotch bonnets - I usually use 3 larger ones - remove seeds. Add to blender and make a mash. Weigh the resulting amount of mash.
Put the mash in a pan and add sugar. I use a sugar with added pectin, the type that requires equal amounts of fruit and sugar by weight. Add juice of one lime. Bring to a boil and (with the sugar I use) boil for 4 minutes. Put resulting jam in jars... done.

I'm about to make a new batch of jam and this time I will use a pineapple and 2 mangos. I'll probably be using 4 or 5 scotch bonnets to add to this larger amount of fruit. Or I might use a 7pot? 🤔

Edit: here's a description that I posted before...

Last edited:
Forgive me here as Im slow to get my morning coffee and maybe Im riding the short bus over here today ..... are you referring to The Homestead Seed Company Scotch bonnets here .... or the ones from rareseeds.com ? Im sure they are probably all similar so its likely a moot point, but Im getting down to having to decide on one or two more plants for my final spots and would like to plant another bonnet.
Sorry about that, I see I said I had 2 choices Humble Servants Homestead or Baker Creek however I did not say which one I chose.
I went with baker Creek this time, I do believe after seeing those huge Bonnet they grow on the Homestead, well I have an order for some fresh
23 season bonnets with seed to taste & grow, if they are as good as they look.

Those from the humble servants may be huge but I've grown them too and on average they are just as large as the other bonnet varieties I've grown. And they aren't as perfect looking either... but they certainly are good quality bonnets.

Sorry about that, I see I said I had 2 choices Humble Servants Homestead or Baker Creek however I did not say which one I chose.
I went with baker Creek this time, I do believe after seeing those huge Bonnet they grow on the Homestead, well I have an order for some fresh
23 season bonnets with seed to taste & grow, if they are as good as they look.

No worries! Just wanted to clarify. I didnt know you could order pods from them too? Maybe Ill go that route to taste test them first.

Sure... I think I already posted it somewhere on the forum but I'd have to look for it myself, so here goes...

Clean a pineapple, keeping all the good stuff. Cut to pieces and put in blender. Clean the scotch bonnets - I usually use 3 larger ones - remove seeds. Add to blender and make a mash. Weigh the resulting amount of mash.
Put the mash in a pan and add sugar. I use a sugar with added pectin, the type that requires equal amounts of fruit and sugar by weight. Add juice of one lime. Bring to a boil and (with the sugar I use) boil for 4 minutes. Put resulting jam in jars... done.

I'm about to make a new batch of jam and this time I will use a pineapple and 2 mangos. I'll probably be using 4 or 5 scotch bonnets to add to this larger amount of fruit. Or I might use a 7pot? 🤔

Edit: here's a description that I posted before...
I just realized... I use about one bonnet per 250 grams of fruit.

Those from the humble servants may be huge but I've grown them too and on average they are just as large as the other bonnet varieties I've grown. And they aren't as perfect looking either... but they certainly are good quality bonnets.

Great first hand experience there.... appreciate it Marc 🤘🤘🤘

Im sure that any of them all probably share the same flavor as the MOA, Im sure the MOA isnt special in this regard .... but man I absolutely love the taste on them. I should mention I let them sit on the plant until they start getting that orangy tint to them ... flavor is just amazing. This also probably holds true to the other varieties also Id assume as with any crop really.

IMG-20230830-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20230830-WA0002.jpeg

Just for the record... I made my pineapple-mango-scotch bonnet jam today. The pineapple and mango were good for a total of about 2kg of fruit to wich another 2kg of jam sugar needed to be added + the lime juice. I added 7 of my largest schneider farms scotch bonnets. My wife nearly freaked out when she saw all those bonnets but after tasting the result I feel I should have added more as the jam is only very mildly hot. For the wife it's already "very hot" 😁. It's all a matter of preference of course... maybe I should have replaced one or two scotch bonnets by some yellow brain strains...

Those look wonderful. Have you tried the MOA? If so, would you say it’s equal in terms of flavor?
No, I haven't grown the MOA yet. It sounds like maybe I should. I think I've even got the seeds around here somewhere.

Back