• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds How long do they REALLY take to germinate?

Hi guys
I know they can take up to 3 or 4 weeks but really - how long are Naga morich, 7 pots Chocs, yellows, jonahs, Scorp morougas and Caribbean varieties going to take to germinate in a nice, 80oF/25oC quality compost in a hot water cupboard?
Obviously, I'm impatient.
Cheers!
:D

Butch t is the only super hot I'm growing, between that and all of the habanero-level vareties I'm growing, the longest germination I've had we're chocolate Habs at about 2 weeks, but none survived past first true leaves....

I have only germinated 200 or so super hots and never had anything go longer than 3 weeks. For example I began to germinate 72 on Saturday. Over fifty percent have popped. Are you only using compost ? I have found in my history of gardening that one should always mix compost with topsoil and perlite / vermiculite if growing indoors... compost, topsoil and native soil if growing outdoors. Then add goodies when potting up. Hope this helps.

Well, I'm using a potting mix that I've grown everything in for a couple of years and so it works.
They've only been in the hot water cupboard for 5 days :P Or is it 4?
Tomatoes are already popping through but my poor chillis :(

Mine took 6 days to a few weeks for all seeds to pop, it depends on what method you use!

Heres my germination station, it worked like a charm! :)
mygerminatingsetup.jpg

For me 1-2 weeks max, after that i start another batch, i'm just too inpatient :rolleyes:, But seriously i have read people took 3-4 weeks, well that just maybe they have different temp and humidity, my country has an average 27-32C all year round. Soaking the seed, and buying heatmat and germination dome may speed thing's up.

Partially, it depends on the method in which the seeds were prepared/seed age. I have had seeds of the same variety from separate sources take very different amounts of time. From one source it took 18-23 days, from another it took 4-7 days. This was Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.

I planted a whole heap of seeds in peat pellets in winter all controlled conditions with heat and humidity but the average was about 15 days some did germinate after that but usually after 20 days the seeds didn't germinate with a few small exceptions

How long we should give up on our seeds?

Some of my seeds in the soil for 5 weeks already and still no sign...their sisters already got a set of true leaf

Going on 9 days with my Bhuts and no sign of life. Some other ones planted at the same time are up already. I was told to expect this since superhots germinatre very slowly.

How long we should give up on our seeds?

Some of my seeds in the soil for 5 weeks already and still no sign...their sisters already got a set of true leaf

I've had some take 90 days or so......as has Mezo who started around the same time as i did.
I nearly gave up on them, but it wasn't any trouble to keep them in there, so i just kept on with them.

Six months on some Bonda Ma Jacques ...

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/18353-never-give-up-on-seeds/#entry389602

But generally I start new ones if I don't see sprouts in 3 weeks.

longest germ time for me was about 8 weeks and that was on chiltepins...very hard to germ and get going. should prob soak longer since they are bird peppers and seeds are built to withstand the trip through a birds digestive tract. in other words ..really tough husks. as stated earlier....exotics require more patience and more dilligence with clinical precision. humidity, temp, soil, cleanliness etc are all much MUCH MUCH more important than your average veggie garden. when germing..ive found that over moisturizing soil is number one reason for germ failure. either drowning embryo, or causing too favorable enviornment for deadly mold. over moist soil will also attract gnats (there larvae will eat your seeds) good luck and be patient and dilligent and you will be enjoying exotics in about 5-6 months!

Back