• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How long would you wait for seeds to germinate?

I started some seeds a few weeks ago which were:

Safi
Rocoto Orange
Choc Hab
White Hab
Tobago Seasoning

These all germinated within 8-9 days, some less.

The others I started haven't done anything so far which are:

Caribbean red
Peach Hab
Lemon hab
Red dominica
Scotch Bonnet Big Sun
Tepin

I've waited 18 days now. Do you think I should leave them for longer or start them again? I'm not too worried about the Tepin as I've heard that can take a while to germinate. I've had a Naga Morich before that took five and a half weeks to germinate, but I think I was just lucky there. I don't want to waste time waiting and I haven't got the room to put more in with that lot too. Do you think I should start the 'so far ungerminated ones again' or keep my fingers crossed? RB :)

I have had Habs take a few weeks just when I give up they sprout.... stubborn peppers... do you soak them or do anything to them to get them to germinate?

I'd say the temp. is around 28 degrees celcius, but the other Chinense were OK. The temperature might actually go between 27 - 29 degrees.

My range for chile seed is 3-60 days; after 60 days, I throw them out. I have occasionally had seed germinate in longer than 60 days.

From my notes, it doesn't have anything to do with the age or type of seed and annuum, baccatun, chinense, frutescens and pubescens all vary all over the lot.

Time to germination seems most to be influenced by germination temperatures and mine stay at 85-87F.

On other forums there was talk about taking stubborn seeds that won't germinate and letting them dry out briefly before re-wetting, and they were getting results. They'd have to be quite rare or expensive for me to give them that mch effort but nice to know.

LUCKYDOG said:
I have had Habs take a few weeks just when I give up they sprout.... stubborn peppers... do you soak them or do anything to them to get them to germinate?
No, I just put them straight into the compost.

thepodpiper said:
Of the seeds that have not sprouted yet how many seeds of each have you sown?

Dale
Erm, just the one :( I have got more but I usually only grow one plant of each variety so I only plant one seed and keep my fingers crossed. I'm going let them think I've given up on them and see what happens. Sometimes I think I might be a bit generous with the spray bottle.

I don't want to sound crazy(because it's my secret), but try to put the seed tray in the refridgerator over night. Last year I planted savinas that didn't germinate for 21 days, put em in the fridge over night and then back into the heat and voila!! sprouted!!

EDIT: I didn't just dream up this idea, a friend of mine who is very succesful in growing millions of things told me that it might work.

rainbowberry, since you have only sown one of each i would suggest just putting a couple more in some dirt and see what happens, but don't give up on the ones that have not sprouted yet. Even if you only want one plant of each i would recommend sowing at least 4 seeds of each variety if they all sprout just keep the healthiest looking one. if the source of your seeds has a 99% germination rate that 1 seed just might be the 1%.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
rainbowberry, since you have only sown one of each i would suggest just putting a couple more in some dirt and see what happens, but don't give up on the ones that have not sprouted yet.

Dale

;) This morning another 25 seeds went into the soil and I've left the other ones in with them too. The naga last year took 38 days to germinate but I thought that was just a one off. I'd stopped watering it and ignored it.

I have ghad seeds of various chinese variety take a very long time to germinmate. some that i have left have taken 3 months total spinout!! Depends how many seeds you have. Double up your planting also, i put 2-3 seeds in each pot.

Scorpion

rainbowberry said:
;) This morning another 25 seeds went into the soil and I've left the other ones in with them too.
That's the best space saving idea.
As long as the other's name is still written on the container too.

Willard,

Just curious, what type of Piquins are those? I never heard of them. Did you purchase them online or get them through a seed trade? I sowed seeds for maybe 15 varieties of Tepins / Pequins this morning. I'm looking forward to seeing what type of germination rates I get.

Chris

willard3 said:
I just planted Veraz Cruz piquins that took 40 days to germinate.....never give up on chile seeds.

Thanks Willard. I've heard of that one. :) I'm wondering if any yellow Pequins exist (not tepin). I mean longer shape pods maybe 1/2" - 1". I'd like to find that. Also, it would need to be C. Annuum.

Chris

willard3 said:
It's a Puerta Vallarta piquin.....my mistake.

I got it from Maine John through Allen B.

Back