• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

How many of you like your Coffee BLACK???

How do you take your coffee?

• Black

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Cream Only

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sugar Only

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Cream and Sugar

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
There is a link between black coffee preference and alcohol preference, such that if a human possesses the proper combination of taste buds that predispose the human to prefer bitter-tasting foods (brussels sprouts, black coffee, etc.), they may be at a higher rate of predisposition for alcoholism. Alcohol is bitter. That is why we sweeten it prior to consuming it. If a person prefers the bitter taste of alcohol, they may tend to consume larger quantities, upregulating dopamine and forming an addictive pathway. Of course, liking black coffee doesn't mean you are guaranteed to become a drunkard, it is just one possible predictor. I despise black coffee. I can't stand my coffee tasting like actual coffee. I like a beer every once in a while, but still think it tastes somewhat aversive. Peppers on the other hand are quite tasty. I can not think of a possible third variable or link between black coffee and peppers. Was it related to the feeling more than the taste? Maybe the dopamine/endorphin rush? Peppers cause pain and discomfort, prompting endorphins to relieve the pain but caffeine doesn't cause pain. I am curious now, gonna have to give this more thought when I have time.
Alcohol isn't bitter. In beer they add hops to make it bitter to counter-act the sweetness and because people like it. Rice alcohol is generally kind of sweet with no bitterness.

There is a link between black coffee preference and alcohol preference, such that if a human possesses the proper combination of taste buds that predispose the human to prefer bitter-tasting foods (brussels sprouts, black coffee, etc.), they may be at a higher rate of predisposition for alcoholism. Alcohol is bitter. That is why we sweeten it prior to consuming it. If a person prefers the bitter taste of alcohol, they may tend to consume larger quantities, upregulating dopamine and forming an addictive pathway. Of course, liking black coffee doesn't mean you are guaranteed to become a drunkard, it is just one possible predictor. I despise black coffee. I can't stand my coffee tasting like actual coffee. I like a beer every once in a while, but still think it tastes somewhat aversive. Peppers on the other hand are quite tasty. I can not think of a possible third variable or link between black coffee and peppers. Was it related to the feeling more than the taste? Maybe the dopamine/endorphin rush? Peppers cause pain and discomfort, prompting endorphins to relieve the pain but caffeine doesn't cause pain. I am curious now, gonna have to give this more thought when I have time.

I was just discussing this study with a friend. For those interested, it's a study by PSU published in the journal Chemical Senses in March 2012 (maybe 2011?). [Edit: I'm assuming you're referencing a study that made the social media rounds about a year ago. If not, the rest of my post isn't on topic! :)]

The study actually didn't analyze whether or not someone who liked one bitter thing was likely to like another bitter thing. It examined bitter receptor genetic variations (various specific alleles) and examined: did different alleles predict the bitterness ratings (from not bitter to very bitter), and did they predict whether a person liked a bitter thing. One brand of espresso, one scotch whiskey, and one brand of white grapefruit juice were used. The study showed that the alleles predicted with some success how bitter a person perceived each item.

Importantly, the study did not show that allele variation had any correlation to liking the espresso or the whiskey. The only correlation for liking a bitter thing was found with the white grapefruit juice (which, I think, even people who like bitter things tend to avoid unless it's fresh squeezed, but that's my own anecdotal evidence).

There are other studies out there, but this is the first one I've come across that identified several specific alleles and tested the subjects DNA for them.

I was thinking you were referencing a study we discussed in one of my Neoroscience or Psychopharmacology classes (when I was an undergrad). It may have been a different study. The subject comes up every time we argue P450A2 enzymes in different ethnic populations and genders. Examining variances in alcohol tolerence is a pretty popular area of study. Taste preference studies are very popular, due to the fact that they are easy and cheap to conduct.

Alcohol isn't bitter. In beer they add hops to make it bitter to counter-act the sweetness and because people like it. Rice alcohol is generally kind of sweet with no bitterness.

Pure grain alcohol isn't bitter to you?

I can not think of a possible third variable or link between black coffee and peppers. Was it related to the feeling more than the taste? Maybe the dopamine/endorphin rush? Peppers cause pain and discomfort, prompting endorphins to relieve the pain but caffeine doesn't cause pain. I am curious now, gonna have to give this more thought when I have time.

What the original post referenced was merely a reddit post where the overwhelming number of replies and upvotes coming from self identified "spicy food" fans appeared to also drink their coffee black. No mechanism or rationale for the connection was proved, it just appeared there that there was a correlation between the two groups.

Obviously this poll is not conducted properly to get a statistically sound result - but the correlation seems like it may hold amongst THP members too. Enough to possibly warrant a future study as to whether such a correlation truly exists and why.

I will have to look up that PSU study, very interesting stuff :beer:

I used to drink several cups of strong black coffee a day, but then decided to cut it from my diet 4+ years ago. My body didn't "get" what caffeine was doing to it anymore. I'd vote for black, but I don't drink coffee anymore. Nor any other caffeinated beverages. I also shy away from chocolate, but I LOVE beer... and hops. A strongly hopped IPA... heaven.

I don't know whether pure grain alcohol is bitter. Vodka isn't and burboun isn't.

Does everyone find alcohol bitter?

I do not know the proper word but it certainly creates a burning sensation. I wouldn't personally consider alcohol to be bitter though either. If you've ever just mixed grain alcohol or vodka into water, it seems like it makes the water sweeter. At least until you get it strong enough that it burns again.

But maybe my bitter flavor receptors are jacked...

...but I LOVE beer... and hops. A strongly hopped IPA... heaven.

Here here! :cheers:

2 Cups of coffee every morning with cream and sugar.
Water during the day with Emergen-C or Gatorade.
HHWhiskey with ice, nights.
I am not a fan of bitter tastes.
Iced Mochas (double grande) on Hot Summer days FTW! (once a week max.)

i make a french press of peets aged sumatra, every morning. i put 1/2 a shot glass of half and half and 1/2 splenda into my thermos about 2 cups) every morning, then its water and tea all day

i make a french press of peets aged sumatra, every morning. i put 1/2 a shot glass of half and half and 1/2 splenda into my thermos about 2 cups) every morning, then its water and tea all day

That coffee came from the warehouse I work at as we are the exclusive storage facility for Peets.

Usually a cup of Peets or Kicking Horse in the morning, dark roasts, cream and sugar always. Iced coffee when it gets hot. Bourbon and scotch neat. Beers....porters,stouts,Russian Imperial Stouts,bocks,dopplebocks,ESB's, and NO IPA's with the exception of a decent Baltic IPA.

I will drink an occasional black cup when I feel like it, especially if it's really cold outside. So long as I made it ;).

Dark roast, black, and all day long. Well, at least until I can start drinking alcohol. IPA if I'm drinking beer, gin, tequila or Sambuca if I'm in a liquor mood.

Drink it black only. I usually will drink 6 cups a day. Would like to drink it all day, but I get very jittery if I drink too much.

Back