• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How much have you spent on fixtures and supplies

Only just spotted this thread and it's got me thinking.
I started setting up my growroom in November and since then it has become a rather expensive idea.
All the receipts have been hidden or disposed of to prevent involuntary castration, but when I tally it up in my head it begins to dawn on me what i've spent.
I have bought;
5x 200w CFL growlights @£40 each (£200)
2x 125w CFL growlights @£25 each (£50)
6x T5 Flourescent tubes @ £8 each (£48)
1x T5 light fitting @ £55 (£55)
4x single reflector @ £30 each (£120)
1x Double reflector @£60 (£60)
1x 600w Heater @£20 (£20)
1x X-stream heated propagator @£125 (£125)
250x 9cm pots @30p each (£75)
150x 15cm pots @ £1 each (£150)
150x 7cm pots with containers and boxes for posting (£150)
15x 50 litre sacks of premium soil @£15 each (£225)
Nutrients and perlite etc. (£50)
3x DWC bubblers @£20 each (£60)
Seeds from various suppliers (£150+)
300x jiffy pellets @10p each (£30)
Mylar and timber (£60)
Electricity- 1500w for 18 hours a day on average, works out around £100 a month. (£400)

TOTAL= £2028

There is probably loads of stuff i've forgotten aswell, and it doesn't help that everything is so expensive in the UK.
To sum up though its worth every penny as im absolutely loving the experience.

By far my biggest expense the last two years has been my Pro-Mix. I bought 6 last year and have bought 3 more for this year. Other than that 8 bucks on plastic cups and 15 bucks a month on electric to run the HID. I have well over 200 pepper plants in cups ATM. Total expense this year will be no more than 200 bucks total, less than a buck a plant.

Nova,

Your time will come! Just wait. I spent more on seeds this year than I did on plants two years ago - and I had nearly 50 plants in the garden in 2007!

Mike

I spent $200.00 today. I would have to guess just this year and last, around 3000.00. I'm like AJ though, I don't want to know. I am selling this year to make some money back. I will have just over 1,000 plants. Next year will be the big expense when I put up the greenhouse.

Dale

Dale

Dale,

We must be on about the same page, though I haven't spent quite as much as you. I should end up with about 1,050 plants - I'm at 885 and have some more to sow/transplant and like you, are hoping to build a greenhouse this summer.

Mike

Dale

Dale (;))

3K eh?

I have spent $75 this year, but $40 of it was a Lowe's gift card that I would not have otherwise spent.

Flourescents with growbulbs do great for me. I have 5 4ft fixtures in all. I sprout in egg cartons (free), pot up to plastic cups ($5 for 50), pot up to bigger plastic cups ($9 for 50), and then plant in the ground ($1298/month PITI....;))

I consider it on the cheap, but as I have said, my plants could hardly look better!

cheezydemon said:
Dale

Dale (;))

3K eh?

I have spent $75 this year, but $40 of it was a Lowe's gift card that I would not have otherwise spent.

Flourescents with growbulbs do great for me. I have 5 4ft fixtures in all. I sprout in egg cartons (free), pot up to plastic cups ($5 for 50), pot up to bigger plastic cups ($9 for 50), and then plant in the ground ($1298/month PITI....;))

I consider it on the cheap, but as I have said, my plants could hardly look better!

Actually I would consider that a fair estimate, I spent over $600.00 just for my irrigation system in the garden last year. Every single plant in my garden has it's own drip emitter and it is all done electronically (well battery operated anyway). Then 300.00 on Black plastic and thats just a small part of what I spent last year alone. I have 40 4' fixtures

Dale

Add another 200ish bucks to my previous total. This is for the parts for my new dutch bucket recirculating drip system & the associated grow tent that will be going with it.

Pepperfreak said:
I've spent a lot too. But I have not, nor do I want to keep trake of it because I would be afraid that it would ruin my fun.

yeah... i try not to keep track, but my girl is nippin at my heals all the time reminding me of how much i have spent.... DOWN TO THE DAMN PENNY! oh well, that's why i love her! she keeps me in check hahahaha kinda! ytd total is around 1000 bucks though, that includes grow lights tents seeds and all... if she wasn't around I'd be spendin WAAY more though lol

Well lets see:
%90 four flat heat mat
$14 crappy 4 ft floro from walmart thats going in the garbage
$18 for two 4 ft floros from home depot
$15 for a box of floro lights
$49 for the wire shelves recomended by Dale.
$20 or so for mailing supplies, and postage etc
Im over budget and that wacky cat ate so many seedlings but its all good.

Back