• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Now on a brighter note here are some pods for the season.

Rocoto_Orange.jpg

Rocoto Orange (weighed 49Grams!)

Cheers Gas for the link to watermark your pictures :cool:

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

Thats one hell of pod there Micca, hope my Red Rocoto do that well. I don't get frost where I live so I'm hoping these will fruit all year round.

Just got through squishing another wave of teeny-tiny seedling-destroying under-leaf caterpillars. Fortunately, not too much damage this time.

My largest seedling is definitely starting to move, but not much growth on the rest. I think Ill give them some more sun and buy a bit of shadecloth to hang above them on the hot days. Might hit bunnings later today to see if I can rig something up so I dont have to carry them all around the side the minute it hits the 30s.

The orange capsicums I just tossed into a random rose pot continue to look stronger than anything I am raising in seedling mix. Waiting on my jiffy pot sowings to germinate to see how those go.

In other news, my first Yellow 7 germinated today. Have taken it straight outside to let it get some sun as that seems to strengthen them early.

You want to be careful how much sun they get, would be real easy to kill them if they get too much sun.

I don't recall anything about the flavour :P I just wanted a white aji looking pod. I've got Habanero White and Cheiro White growing but no buds yet.

Are they the Cheiro White from thechilliman.biz? If so, I'll tell you now to save disappointment... they ripen to more of a pale yellow. :P Maybe white when the pods sit there a while.

I'm not a fan of the taste either, but then that's a personal thing.

Like I said, hit me up if you are still chasing Blondie seeds. If you don't want non-isolated ones, I probably got some left from Grant too. And don't know what the difference is between White Habanero and Snow White, but I've saved seeds from Snow White also. Great burn and a nice flavour!

Thats one hell of pod there Micca, hope my Red Rocoto do that well. I don't get frost where I live so I'm hoping these will fruit all year round.

You want to be careful how much sun they get, would be real easy to kill them if they get too much sun.

I'll try to be careful - it's just tough to know a happy medium. I'm getting a bit frustrated with seedlings that germinate and then just do nothing.

Are they the Cheiro White from thechilliman.biz? If so, I'll tell you now to save disappointment... they ripen to more of a pale yellow. :P Maybe white when the pods sit there a while.

I'm not a fan of the taste either, but then that's a personal thing.

Like I said, hit me up if you are still chasing Blondie seeds. If you don't want non-isolated ones, I probably got some left from Grant too. And don't know what the difference is between White Habanero and Snow White, but I've saved seeds from Snow White also. Great burn and a nice flavour!
Yeah they are from chilliman.biz. I think it could be a similar case to how purple varieties are just more sensitive to sun tan? If I get a Cheiro white pod set I'll bag it with something opaque so it gets no sun and maybe it'll stay white?

Cheers for the offer but I got my blondie seeds from Grant and I've still got a few left so I'll try them out next year. Done all my sowing for this season.

So far my list for next year is a lot of seeds I have but didn't get to this year.

A bit early to think about but.... as far as new varieties I want to grow the 7 Pot Evergreen because photos I've seen have a really nice green/bronze tint to them.

And what is the deal with the madballz varieties? Is it a new strain developed by someone? supposed to be really hot or something?

Still waiting to hear the verdict on the hp22b before I decide if I want to go there.

Here come some far less excitng photos from me.

Here's my Jalapeno (bought from Bunnings as a seedling) - it's doing fine.

8263972058_b84c4a3238_b.jpg
8263960802_c5ca8a50fd_b.jpg

Here's my Purple Capsicum. Lots of flowers but they continually drop. No fruit at all yet.
8263972670_e0b1bc8377_b.jpg

By far my best seedling. Label came off at an early age so no idea what it is:
8262883735_67b5c63592_b.jpg

Now for the more depressing side of things in my newbie-growing.

Here are two orange capsicums from seeds that I just tossed into this rose pot at random because they had gone mouldy. Note the thick stems and general health of them. They were planted around 3 weeks ago give or take a few days.

8269283366_8193bd65af_h.jpg

Now, here are the rest. The ones I've tenderly raised. The ones with clear trueleaves are perhaps two months old. They are the same age as the stronger seedling you saw in my previous posting. Here they are out for a bit of sun. They just don't seem to want to grow.
8269285794_7777aaad37_h.jpg

I have my next generation in Jiffy pots now. Going to try that method an letting them really develop in the jiffies before potting them on.

I think it's pretty clear that they aren't getting enough sun. Look at the Cambuchi at bottom right in the purple pot with one leaf that's been smashed by caterpillars. If it gets much leggier it will be an ostritch. It's not a very old seedling, but surely they wouldn't be that tall if they weren't seeking out the sun.

I find if you watch them, day in, day out, they don't move. Take your eyes off them for afew weeks and they grow like crazy. Honestly imho, you probably got started abit late in the season, as did I last year. But us Aussie's still have alot of summer coming. Last December I had stuff all chilli, by end of January I had a good quanity off of 3 or 4 annuums. Watch out for nursey plants mate, especially bunnings. I bought bunnings plants and got my fingers burnt. Bought a yellow habanero that turned out to have no heat and more of a peach colour, and the choc hab looked more like a hot chocolate. Mind you the bunnings plants did help me get heat into my mouth last year so I can't complain too much.

Reactions: nee
I find if you watch them, day in, day out, they don't move. Take your eyes off them for afew weeks and they grow like crazy. Honestly imho, you probably got started abit late in the season, as did I last year. But us Aussie's still have alot of summer coming. Last December I had stuff all chilli, by end of January I had a good quanity off of 3 or 4 annuums. Watch out for nursey plants mate, especially bunnings. I bought bunnings plants and got my fingers burnt. Bought a yellow habanero that turned out to have no heat and more of a peach colour, and the choc hab looked more like a hot chocolate. Mind you the bunnings plants did help me get heat into my mouth last year so I can't complain too much.

I'll try not to watch them so much. I planted them at the end of September mostly.

I'll try not to watch them so much. I planted them at the end of September mostly.

Yeah I started last year by buying nusery plants mid september. Good thing tho, the guys on this forum got me up and running. I had seedlings in Feburary, and March and over wintered them outside, and most of the plants are just getting pods now. Do you get frost in the winter? if not then you can over winter your plants outside.

Yeah I started last year by buying nusery plants mid september. Good thing tho, the guys on this forum got me up and running. I had seedlings in Feburary, and March and over wintered them outside, and most of the plants are just getting pods now. Do you get frost in the winter? if not then you can over winter your plants outside.

I doubt Perth would have to worry too much about frost. I might bring some inside during winter. Depends what I get up and running. I think I'm going to be very lucky to get more than a handful of strong plants out of this first wave of seedlings. Suspect my Jiffy pot ones might do better. Even the orange capsicum that I have in the rose pot might have to be potted into its own thing as it looks particularly healthy.

I guess I have to view this year as a learning process for me. I've definitely learnt not to baby them too much and to watch out for Caterpilars. I also think I'm potting them into larger containers too soon.

I'm hoping the seedlings you see above in the red pot starts to take off. It's doubled in size in the past couple of weeks so I think it might be on the way. It's sort of exciting to find out what its going to be.

I do appreciate all the tips and apologise to everyone for all my stressing about my weedy crop :)

Na have had them and love them !!

Cool. Being your first year growing I wasn't too sure what you have had.
Another one that has a real nice flavour is the TS Cardi Yellow. Makes excellent powder too.

Micca

The Red gets pretty big too. I've seen pictures of a red manzano that looked just like an apple and about the size of it too!
I have found with the Rocoto's that they like the cooler weather. I got nothing in the heat of WA summer last season but got heaps in Winter(a bit smaller fruit).

Micca

I doubt Perth would have to worry too much about frost. I might bring some inside during winter. Depends what I get up and running. I think I'm going to be very lucky to get more than a handful of strong plants out of this first wave of seedlings. Suspect my Jiffy pot ones might do better. Even the orange capsicum that I have in the rose pot might have to be potted into its own thing as it looks particularly healthy.

I guess I have to view this year as a learning process for me. I've definitely learnt not to baby them too much and to watch out for Caterpilars. I also think I'm potting them into larger containers too soon.

I'm hoping the seedlings you see above in the red pot starts to take off. It's doubled in size in the past couple of weeks so I think it might be on the way. It's sort of exciting to find out what its going to be.

I do appreciate all the tips and apologise to everyone for all my stressing about my weedy crop :)
I feel the same way sometimes when asking for info. I've asked so much,and received so much help, but one day I will try help others with seeds and what not. I hope that we can work towards increasing chilli knowledge here in Australia. So many people, even those that eat chilli everyday know stuff all about what varieties or how to improve their crops.

One rule of thumb, you can never kill too many caterpilars, especially the ones that attack pods :shocked: :mad: . You can also hunt snails at night with a torch. I prefer not to spray my plants because I have so many spiders and wasps I just let them kill the pests. I do use nem on my seedlings though, I just water it down alot, like maybe 10th strength. I'm still yet to get mites so cross my fingers I don't have to go through that. Growing Peppers seems to be abit like eating them. Pleasure and pain lol.

Lol I go to work its all happening !

I don't flower drop is that bad, the plant must feel it can get bigger b4 it has to procreate !

My decking is covered in flowers

And big ups to ppl posting pics :)

perth can get cold and frosty but generally the days are so warm it makes up for it :) i had a plant producing all year almost...

Ok who is serious about a Chilli shin dig? Really want to get Perth growers together . Guys and gals hot pods or just pretty , wud be also nice to know if any hot pepper ppl/moderators are int the region , lets make it happen !

I find if you watch them, day in, day out, they don't move. Take your eyes off them for afew weeks and they grow like crazy.

Hit the nail on zee head there Jay. I had a load that seemed to be getting nowhere, but as i have a few mature plants to tend to it took my mind off the smaller ones....and before i knew it, it was potting up time for the newbies.

Ok who is serious about a Chilli shin dig? Really want to get Perth growers together . Guys and gals hot pods or just pretty , wud be also nice to know if any hot pepper ppl/moderators are int the region , lets make it happen !
I'd be up for that but want to actually grow some ripe superhot pods first so can eat them and turn funny colours in front of people ;)

I like your way of thinking, half wish Sydney siders were into chilli like you guys in Perth are. Maybe in time, baby steps. ;)
Hit the nail on zee head there Jay. I had a load that seemed to be getting nowhere, but as i have a few mature plants to tend to it took my mind off the smaller ones....and before i knew it, it was potting up time for the newbies.

Yeah to watch them, bit like watching paint dry. Once the himidity is at a level that your uncomfortable, your plants will grow faster lol.

Just got through squishing another wave of teeny-tiny seedling-destroying under-leaf caterpillars. Fortunately, not too much damage this time.

My largest seedling is definitely starting to move, but not much growth on the rest. I think Ill give them some more sun and buy a bit of shadecloth to hang above them on the hot days. Might hit bunnings later today to see if I can rig something up so I dont have to carry them all around the side the minute it hits the 30s.

The orange capsicums I just tossed into a random rose pot continue to look stronger than anything I am raising in seedling mix. Waiting on my jiffy pot sowings to germinate to see how those go.

In other news, my first Yellow 7 germinated today. Have taken it straight outside to let it get some sun as that seems to strengthen them early.

In other other news - my stunted seedlings, apparently, can't even take the heat today! I put them out in what little sun we're having and they wilt like nobody's business.
Are you in Perth dude? I have free shade cloth. You just have to come and grab it
2564225E-912A-467F-A35E-2202BE1605C2-3813-0000023A625A61D4.jpg

I'd be up for that but want to actually grow some ripe superhot pods first so can eat them and turn funny colours in front of people ;)
+1 This

Back