How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

nemspy said:
It's tough for me in pots. If I water every day I find that, however much perlite and whatever potting mix I use, my pots soon weigh a metric tonne. Perhaps they aren't waterlogged, but it sure seems like it.
Ok sorry I suppose I really meant smaller pots.  I am terrible at growing in large pots.  I much prefer to put larger plants in the ground.  Lots of people can grow in pots but I don't know how they do it.

Sarge said:
You guys think a 20L pot is big enough for final home? No longer have ground space here.

I have read a lot of posts on this, and while I didn't write anything down I seem to recall lots of people use 18-20 L pots for their plants.  I've opted for anywhere between 16-23 L depending on what was kicking around the garden at the time and what was in the stores.

I think you can go bigger if you have a long growing season and want to get a monster chili bush going...  I believe I saw one guy had converted beer old kegs which were huge, but his over wintered plants were gigantic.

I just converted some old brocoli boxes into plant boxes. They're about 40l. I ran out of pots so this was another option. Mind you though I stuffed two plants into one box.

Gonna try get more of them. Had to make holes at the bottom and use a layer of gravel to help with drainage.

Andy21 said:
Hey guys here's a few photos of my plants including some of the wierd jalapeño crosses...
And my plants aren't picture perfect I know lol some still struggling to come back after a mysterious disease.... :-/ Anyway..... :)

Butch T
null_zps295a14e4.jpg

Douglah
null_zpscc28eb4a.jpg

Jalapeño X ? Hungarian Black?
null_zpsf86a4dfa.jpg

null_zpsc52e41ea.jpg

Jalapeño X ? Red Bhut?
null_zpsa7375468.jpg

null_zps5eedf02c.jpg

Group shot of pots still finding space to go in ground!
null_zpsc17fab5d.jpg

Another Jalapeño X Purple?
null_zpsf1d74cd9.jpg

null_zps52e53c16.jpg

Jalapeño X cayenne/Thai can't tell yet?
null_zps91620ae3.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/andyj2121/null_zpsc55c71f0.jpg
And a few more random shots garden bed has
Aji Lemon drop
Red Bhut
Naga bhut jolokia
Thai
Cayenne
Hungarian yellow
Black pearl
Butch T
Choc Habs
Trinidad scorpion cardi yellow
Jalapeño
Capsicum

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/andyj2121/null_zps886b04b0.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/andyj2121/null_zps0398dcbf.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/andyj2121/null_zps9323a910.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/andyj2121/null_zps8c275542.jpg
http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/andyj2121/null_zpsea55578c.jpg

:) should hopefully have alot of pods soon!

Looking great there Andy. You will have a jungle when they grow up!

Sarge said:
You guys think a 20L pot is big enough for final home? No longer have ground space here.

No problems with 20l ones.

Micca

2 out of 3 chili sticks still havn't recovered, and they are hydroponic!

Everything else is going well enough!

Unknown super hot from Jungle Rain
P1040164_zps418b1415.jpg

Burmese Naga
P1040163_zpsade12cc5.jpg

Ghost Hab from a blueflame I think it was? maybe not officially a ghost hab but it couldn't be identified.
P1040166_zpsa49d74db.jpg

The one on the left is an aji Panca that sprouted out of a pod that must have fallen into the expanded clay last season, I didn't have the heart to pull it out.  The one on the right is the Rocoto Aji Largo.
I might chop the Panca a bit..its easily out growing the Largo and its younger.  I guess the Largo might be enjoying a bit of shade that it gets from the Panca..As far as I've seen anything Rocoto or Aji likes a bit less sun.
P1040167_zps8948a719.jpg

My little Hot Fish
P1040171_zps8fd894c8.jpg

My Monsterous Burmese Naga, Its really thick in there, growth flying out of everywhere.
P1040169_zps4b4b4c43.jpg

That last one is hydro, Most of my plants are hydro.
The ones in wine barrels are just standard potting mix, but I ended up getting expanded clay in there from my other projects, it isn't mixed all the way through.

Super David said:
That last one is hydro, Most of my plants are hydro.
The ones in wine barrels are just standard potting mix, but I ended up getting expanded clay in there from my other projects, it isn't mixed all the way through.

Awesome stuff man. What hydro setups are you using? dwc? Are the outdoors or indoors under lights. I'm doing hydro. 1 plant in there about a week and some days, its starting to do something!

Sarge said:

Awesome stuff man. What hydro setups are you using? dwc? Are the outdoors or indoors under lights. I'm doing hydro. 1 plant in there about a week and some days, its starting to do something!
I've gone NFT for my outdoor stuff and and a DWC for my indoor chili.  DWC is nice but its too much of a hassle to adjust and change water.  I prefer the NFT systems so the reservoir is seperate and I can drain it without touching any plants.
I just look for bath tubs when bulk collection is on, makes it cheap and easy.
The brown one under the net is a NFT I bought for my dad, he died at Christmas before I could give it to him, so thats what got me started on hydro and chilies...and its all grown since then.  Most of what you can see in those photos are my pumpkins.  Hydro Jumbo atlantic pumpkins.
P1040187_zps5d402cc7.jpg

P1040178_zps38938ad0.jpg

Sorry to hear of your loss David. My respects. In hindsight, though, you have a magnificent setup there. Very impressive peppers you posted earlier, and that pumpkin plant is reaching for the stars.

We had council cleanup, our neighbours through away some PVC pipe. I wish I grabbed everything, could have made use for it all.

you dont need much pipe to do nft the way I do it. I have the bath above the reservoir, so the water just falls straight in and I have a little pump with black retic pipe pumping the water in and thats it. Just circulates.

nemspy said:
It's tough for me in pots. If I water every day I find that, however much perlite and whatever potting mix I use, my pots soon weigh a metric tonne. Perhaps they aren't waterlogged, but it sure seems like it.

I always find it hard to tell with pots. It can depend on what sort of soil etc I use.
that's why I use a meter now to test them. Seems to work for me.
Here is a picture of it
ll5ab.png

Has got soil moisture, PH, Light meter and Temp.

Micca

Micca302 said:

I always find it hard to tell with pots. It can depend on what sort of soil etc I use.
that's why I use a meter now to test them. Seems to work for me.
Here is a picture of it
ll5ab.png

Has got soil moisture, PH, Light meter and Temp.

Micca

What brand is this and where did you get it Micca?

I'm thinking of getting one of these as I have too many pots with too many soil mixes to remember the lift test and I'm sure I'm still fucking up the watering / feeding as I'm getting flower drop bad on my best looking Habanero.    I'm almost sure I have lock-out and a calcium def. now...

I'm thinking doing a huge flush and dry back on the weekend as we have some awesome hot weather coming to Perth.

Yeah brace yourself Rainman looks like we are in for a warm week ahead  :onfire:

The meter is some chinese brand. I got mine from Ebay around 26 bucks shipped over.
Make sure you get one with a backlight as not all of them have it.

Micca

Ordered a soil meter from Ebay.  Couldn't really tell if it had a backlight, but looked like it might.  Do you do a lot of monitoring at night Micca?

Wish I had it to monitor the soil after the epic flush job I just did on my two Habs.  Man they are really struggling with yellow leaf / flower drop.  A good full day in the sun tomorrow to dry them out and then another week to see if they improve.

If that fails I think I might try a new soil mix and put them in the ground. I'm reading that its a lot easier to grow in the ground than in pots.

Nah I don't do any night surveilance Hahaha.
The light can come in handy if the day is overcast or when the daylight hours get less and I need to check before going to work.
Just easier to read thats all.
I hope it works well for you.

Micca

Most of my annums are podding up right now but the chinenses are still blossom-dropping. Still have a few sticks that are putting out nearly translucent leaves. I made the mistake of hitting some of those with pyrethrum to knock out aphids - Shrivelsville the next day.

Thinking of writing off a few of the slow sticks to just let the fast growing seedlings take over. I honestly wonder how much it's worth letting the sticks come back - seedlings seem to beat most of them to fruit.

How are everyone's plant going in Perth with this heat?  

One of my plants has taken a bit of heat damage as I forgot to move it and so it coped about 4 hours of sun too much while I was out getting supplies to move some into the ground. Hopefully the Ghost pepper will recover.  I've given the Ghost a dose of water and moved all my other pots inside.  I will limited them to a couple hours of sun in the mornings only while we have this 38-42 degree spell.

Surprisingly, the Trinidad Scorpion and Choc Habanero, which are my smallest plants, have been outside in the shade all day and are loving it based on how the leave feel/look.

Tuesday, when the weather breaks down to 29-30 degrees I'll think about making my new soil blend and transplanting to ground.  Have rigged up an awesome retractable shade awning, so will post some photos of that too.

Back