How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

I agree that pots have to be shaded.  Direct sun on the pot is a killer.  Doesn't have to be anything special like the reflective stuff., cardboard will do. 
You should dig a small hole in the ground at the hottest part of the day and feel the temp of the soil.  That's what chilli plants want for their roots.  Small pots in the sun get too hot.

I eradicated aphids from my extremely infested chinense seedlings simply by squishing. :)  Quite proud of myself for doing that ;) 

Squishing aphids never gets them all unless the plants only have about 4 leaves.  In my experience the only effective method for controlling them apart from chemical warfare is ladybugs.

The second lot of nonchinense seedlings are ready to be potted up this week and luckily no aphids as far as I can see.

I was having aphid problems for some time. They've just vanished. I have no idea where they're gone but I'm cheering.

Sarge said:
I was having aphid problems for some time. They've just vanished. I have no idea where they're gone but I'm cheering.

Inside your pods. :)  You'll slice the first one open and out they will swarm like an unholy torrent. :)

Six of my larger fruiting plants have gone into ground with a new fertz-free potting mix (60%) and perlite (40%) blended soil, then been mulched. First pic shows the awning fully down:
20131217_130134_zps81faa35a.jpg

Awning retracted for the less sunny days:
20131217_130215_zpse5abeae3.jpg

Early days I know, but the yellow wax in the back middle may not make it, as it was fairly pot bound and was dying in the pot.  The Nagga in the front right also lost a bit of root matt during the transplant so that is going to be interesting to see it it copes.

Found out my water pH is about 7.5-8.0... so that may also be contributing to the lock-out problems.  Experiments with vinegar yielded minimal vinegar required to bring it down to 6.0-6.5, so that's a win  :)

Hi guys, Names Camo.
First post and very new to the chili growing scene but have rapidly been trying to grow my collection. I have a bunch of plants that I have bought from markets around the traps and also have what I like to call chiliville where I am germinating numerous varieties. either collected from pods at a chili festival a few years ago and some bought from ebay. It is a 5 x 2 x 1.5 foot aquarium that collects the morning sun from around 8-11am. The existing plants are also locatated near the same spot on our front verandah.
I am slowly reading my way through this thread and have already learned a lot. Like we are over watering our plants and the soil does not have enough drainage because the seedlings are very leggy and are not the stout bushy little seedlings I have seen here. I will continue to read here and other threads to build my knowledge. Something else I have learned is they are probably getting to hot in the aquarium. Last week on the hot days. Temps were as high as 45* in there and very humid. I am not sure if it is a good thing or not, but it also maintains a temp of around 30* during the night time.
But I wanted to share what I have going on. I am very lucky that my partner works for a wholesale nursury and has access to once used perlite/potting mix mixture. we currently have seven 50L bags ready to go into our raised garden beds and there is always plenty for the chili seedlings and shit loads more if we want it..
I made what I had hoped would be a great mixture for chilis but I am sure I will find some thing better here. I will share it any way.  1 part coco coir, 2 parts perlite mix ,3 parts organic compost. The compost is just the cheap stuff from bunnings so I will be looking into the good stuff from Midland.

I do not have any photos the existing plants but they are as follows.

Serrano
Chipotle
Heritage Burmese
Orange Needle, possibly Thai orange
A couple of others that I do not know the name of. One is a very fiery and I have some pods frozen from last year so will post a photo of those soon.

This is chiliville where I have obviously the ones shown but also. Some are just a description of the pods as no name was on the plants when we collected the pods at the chili festival.
Thai rainbow.
Thai Orange
Red and White balls
Red Balls
Striped chili
Sweet peppers
halapeno
White Habs
Peruvian White Habs

As of last night we had six sprouts come through tonight there are around 12. The seeds planted in the black tray have been a real surprise. Because the first seeds we sowed were just placed into seedling trays dry straight from their envelope and took between 3 and 5 weeks to germinate. This new lot were sowed after soaking them in a thermos over night in water at a temp between 45-48*C. The new seeds are sprouting after just 8 days.

1483235_10151779117986932_901083617_n.jpg

969488_10151779118056932_1975244470_n.jpg

1476141_10151779118121932_894459456_n.jpg

Any way back to reaing the thread and now that I am aware of this place I will definitely be sourcing more seeds and maybe plants from the forum.

I wish I could, I picked it up from a an asian bloke at the canningvale markets and that was what he caled it. I will grab a photo of it.

highlucks said:
Hi guys, Names Camo.
First post and very new to the chili growing scene but have rapidly been trying to grow my collection.

Welcome aboard highlucks.  Looking forward to seeing how your crops develop.

Here are a few photos of the plant I was told was a "Heritage Burmese"

I was told by the seller that the pods start out the purple colour and then come back to green, also that this plant is around six months old. If any one can offer a better ID on it I would be glad to know your thoughts.

1528694_10151794937421932_418710735_n.jpg

1505229_10151794937411932_1627449634_n.jpg

1470290_10151794937401932_505301265_n.jpg

looks good! I've got burmese blood so I'm always interested in anything Burmese.  I was told by one burmese fellow that they used to have a burmese chili that was black and pointed upwards, he said that was the hottest they had.  Do you know how hot they are?

Sorry I do not, but I will be sure to let you know when the first one ripens. You are welcome to a few pods to grow your own though.

Rainman your little spot there is coming along real nice :cool:
Good luck.

Hey Highlucks welcome to the forum.
Looks like you are in full swing with the seedlings. They will surely keep you busy!

I got my first harvest of Pimenta Da Neyde's today

iqcums.jpg

Luckily I managed to get some off before my Bastage marsupial rat critter decided to take them!

Micca

Thanks for the welcome, thats a nice little harvest you have there. Is that the normal shape of that pepper or did they have a little growth spurt late in the piece?

A small update on Chilliville, we have nearly 20 hooks out this morning in the newly planted seedling tray and they are eagerly reaching for the sun. New hooks include Orange and White habs, Butch T's, Butch T x BJ, BJ's and a Moruga Scorpion.
We previously had 12 pots sitting in trays to keep them wet but have removed the trays now and have cut back on the watering regime. I am also toying with adding a fan to the aquarium to increase the air flow. The aquarium is great for protecting them from the wind, but I think they could do with a little bit to build their strength.

Micca302 said:
Rainman your little spot there is coming along real nice :cool:
Good luck.

Thanks Micca, but its not going so well since the transplant to new soil.  The plants in the ground droop really bad every day, they tend to come back a little in the evening but damage it being done for sure.  
The ones in the pots are doing a little better in their new soil, so I'm hopeful they will pull through. 
I've given them their first taste of very dilute fertz  and a dash of seasol since they are now in the new "fertz-free" mix.  

Very envious of the pics of the pods you guys are uploading... you and moo have some mad growing skills thats for sure

Hopefully they will pick up for ya mate. They can get shocked pretty badly sometimes when you transplant but should come good.

Cheers for the nice comments too. We really only show off our good ones :P

Micca

Micca302 said:
Hopefully they will pick up for ya mate. They can get shocked pretty badly sometimes when you transplant but should come good.

I've found that the droop is all but gone now if I give them a little water each morning while they re-adjust to their new homes.  I think they will make it.  The yellow Wax looks ragged and ugly but has three pods growing. 

The new mix appears to require watering every second day, which I'll be monitoring more closely when my moisture meter arrives from Ebay.  

Pretty sure a combination of too much nitrogen from my previous soil mix (heavily fertilized) and pH 8 water caused the plants to be locked out for a month.  So, I've tilled in some dolomite lime to the upper part of the soil and been using vinegar to get the water pH down to 6.5.

How long should it roughly take to start seeing an improvement in the plants growth / flower production after such a severe lock-out?

Back