• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

HIghlucks - The chillies at the Midland market are rarely what they say on the tub.  I picked up a plant that was clearly an annum - labelled as a red Habanero and HOT.  I liked the look of the plant and its pods were an odd shape... unfortunately its one SVU up from a capsicum.  At least they taste ok.

For my second grow season I'm trying organic growing in a raised bed only (if my wife gets her way) with a couple of pots too (if I get my way).  In preparation, I built this 190L compost tumbler yesterday morning:

20140405_133950_zps52cf12dc.jpg

It has a hollow core from the PVC for aeration:

20140405_134014_zpsc761ca7c.jpg

Total cost was about $35.  Barrel = $15, wooden rod, PVC, a few screws and bolts = $20, the wood was free as its recycled parts of an old bed I had lying around.  These cost like $150-200 if you buy one new.

I thought I found the link for this on THP, but it might have been another gardening web site.  Either way, plans for the device are located at: 
http://dixiegrilling.com/tumbler.htm

Also, had a nice surprise yesterday when I found I finally have a few ladybirds to help me with my aphid problem :)

Nice.  I wanted to make one of these but the plans I saw had an aluminum rod.   I hope that wooden rod will take the weight.  

megamoo said:
Nice.  I wanted to make one of these but the plans I saw had an aluminum rod.   I hope that wooden rod will take the weight.  

I hope the wooden rod holds too.  I must admit to overlooking the possibility it wouldn't hold up...  Oh well, I'll just get a metal rod from the recycling centre in Balcatta if it breaks.

My wife picked up the barrel and decided to get two, but I dont think I'll need the second one as its huge - If you wanted to make one Moo, you can have the extra barrel, assuming you are close by (I'm in Mt. Hawthorn).

Nice Tumbler, did you intentionally move the axle away from the centre of the barrel?
As with Moo I hope the current wooden axle holds up for you, but I think it may fail on the first tumble with a decent load material.

Great to see peoples Chilli's are starting to come back to life.
Mine are too. Unfortunately though it is getting too late in the year now as the Chinenses take about 3 months to ripen.
You will find that the Chilli's will go into shutdown mode in winter and they either take longer to ripen or not at all.
If you have a greenhouse thats another story.
The greenhouse this will keep the temps up and they will ripen through Winter. Of coure the ripening outside a greenhouse will be temperature dependent so if we have a warm start you will get more ripening.

Just a few tips :P

Micca

highlucks said:
Nice Tumbler, did you intentionally move the axle away from the centre of the barrel?
As with Moo I hope the current wooden axle holds up for you, but I think it may fail on the first tumble with a decent load material.

Unintentional axle placement - may make for a more clumsy tumble, but oh well! I did not really consult the plans other than to have a quick look before I bought the missing bits I needed.  That will teach me...

I have already found a metal rod that was in my back yard under a heap of old junk that fits perfectly to replace the wood one, so all good on that front.

Hello Fellow Chilliholics,

First time poster here, thought that I had some serious Chilli fetish issues that I needed to have looked at until I found this site. 
After reading through 75 pages from mostly fellow West Aussies, I don't feel so alone.

Recently shifted from South of the river to the North side of town and just starting to get the garden growing.
Currently growing some Jalapenos, Cayenne's, various Thai varieties, Scotch Bonnets, a 7 Pot Jonah and a Butch T.
The last 2 are new to the grow list and I am starting to get some produce off the 7 Pot. This is some serious heat.

Here's a pod to say hello.

photo1.jpg

Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion,  Its looking good so far, I'm really interested to see how well this hangs onto flowers because its my first indoor grow that wasn't DWC.  I just dont think DWC is the best way to grow chilies.
It still has its first two leaves that it sprouted with!  Thats a good sign because usually those two fall off at some stage.

P1040635_zps15b2cc16.jpg

Crackin looking plant you got growing there Super David.

Will have to plant some of them coloured pods this coming year, everything besides the Jalapenos in my garden are red's.
Gotta get some seeds first and learn a few more tricks. 

I need to learn some indoor growing techniques as well, have always been the "stick em in the ground and hope for the best" type of grower.  

A question for the Perth growers that grow in the soil outdoors. 

Which month do you start your seedlings from seed?

In the past, I have purchased nursery seedling in early September and planted.
This year, I want to acquire some more exotic seeds and start from scratch, just not sure when to start. 

I'm not sure that I've got it right exactly but, I would do the same thing only sprout the seeds a bit earlier and give them a head start indoor under lights before putting them outside in september.

So yesterday I bought a heated seed propagator, some Jiffy pellets and a portable greenhouse from Bunnings.  They were an impulse buy, but it seems I'm now committed to attempting to grow some plants from seed for my 2nd grow season :)  Going to move the plants that survived the cull (Butch T, Jolokia, Choc Hab, Red Hab and a Fatalli) into the green house to see if we can get some late Autumn / winter pods).  Will use the greenhouse for the next set of seedlings next spring too I figured.

Upcoming projects for the next 2 weeks while I'm on annual leave:

1. Buy a couple of T8s and set up a lighting rig up.  

2. Buy 500 red worms for $20 to turn my compost tumbler into a worm farm.  

3. Buy some wood and build the raised bed to improve the grow area out in the back garden.

4. Build the portable greenhouse.

Micca302 said:
Great to see peoples Chilli's are starting to come back to life.
Mine are too. Unfortunately though it is getting too late in the year now as the Chinenses take about 3 months to ripen.
You will find that the Chilli's will go into shutdown mode in winter and they either take longer to ripen or not at all.
If you have a greenhouse thats another story.
The greenhouse this will keep the temps up and they will ripen through Winter. Of coure the ripening outside a greenhouse will be temperature dependent so if we have a warm start you will get more ripening.

Just a few tips :P

Micca

Mine haven't. My entire collection completely carked it about a month ago with the exception of a large red hab and a large cheiro goias which are still going ok. The stuff I started from seed in Sept last year never really took off at all, got ravaged by aphids, or scorched by the wind. Then, when you'd expect them to have been past the worst, they spontaneously dropped all their leaves like it was the end of the season. Moved a few of them back up to Perth to see if they would recover at Mum's place, but the sticks either seem to want to die off completely or bring back a few crinkly, mutant leaves. No idea what happened this season. Right now I'm asking myself if i can be bothered next season.

Update on the the indoor hydroponic Peach Ghost Scorpion.   I've got flowers coming up!!!
P1040661_zps633b2d51.jpg

P1040662_zpsff69c2ae.jpg

Indoor soil Peach Ghost Scorpion, Exactly the same age as the indoor hydroponic.
Seems to have been suffering with something. Sprayed with with an anti fungal spray and it perked up and grew but the leaves are still damaged.
P1040660_zpscdee1054.jpg

Outdoor Hydroponic Peach Ghost Scorpion, one week younger than the two indoor plants
P1040659_zps530facf4.jpg

My bonsai Carolina Reaper

P1040664_zpsd6b3d19f.jpg

Those scorpion leaves are massive Dave.  The munted leaves look similar to mine did after an aphid attack.  Looks like it's pulling through.

nemspy said:
That back right one in the second photo looks like most of my plants!
thats unfortunate!
Perhaps you could grow one indoor?
Rainman said:
Those scorpion leaves are massive Dave.  The munted leaves look similar to mine did after an aphid attack.  Looks like it's pulling through.
Its easily the healthiest chili I've grown.  It still has the original two leaves it sprouted with!  I've decided dwc is no good for chilies, even with two air pumps they weren't this healthy,  they were decently healthy and I grew some massive plants 6 foot high 6 foot wide but they never hung onto flowers.  NFT Really seems to be the way to go.  I knew chilies liked well drained soil because they like their oxygen, but I think they LOVE oxygen. The real test will be to see weather this hangs onto its flowers and makes me some pods!  If it does I'll never grow DWC again, these chilies like cool roots and lots of oxygen.

hi guys, just wanted to post some pics to give you an update on my garden. I've recently installed a watering system and having a lot of success with it.

the main garden

nbdye8.jpg

the big plants

2egbe5f.jpg

qp1fo7.jpg

Another view of the main garden

2i9o21h.jpg

The Seedling Area

ip6rsw.jpg

The Medium Plants

313suj7.jpg

Back