• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

due to work commitments i havent started any seedlings this year, though i also have plants from last year im hoping will hit an extra gear this summer. I have noticed that Bunnings have had some decent choices this year compared to the past.... last week i bought a scotch bonnett, two white habs, a big jim and a hungerian wax.... wanting another scotch bonnett i went back this arvo... they didnt have any but i did get two bhuts and an ancho..... for about three or four bucks a pop i was quite chuffed 

I went to a bunnings in Melbourne and they only had orange habs, thai birds eye, cayenne and japaenos... I was pretty happy to pay $2 a plant though... 

If you look at masters, they have a range called pot'n all heart starters for $4 each: http://www.potnall.com.au/heart-starters they have these varieties in stock: Trinidad scorpion butch t, Trinidad scorpion cardi yellow, naga bhut jolokia red, naga bhut jolokia yellow, 7 pot yellow, choc habanero, habanero white, fatali, thai birds eye, Zimbabwe birds eye, aji limon, purple tiger, siam yellow, jalapeno red, peter pepper red, etc etc (I lost patience after hand typing this list).

Hi everyone,

In light of last season's epic balcony failure, I've picked up one of those mini greenhouses from Bunnings to stick out there in an attempt to shield a few plants from the worst of the sea breeze. I've taken a shelf out of the thing so there's more room for it to grow.

Has anyone had any experiences with these?

nemspy said:
Hi everyone,

In light of last season's epic balcony failure, I've picked up one of those mini greenhouses from Bunnings to stick out there in an attempt to shield a few plants from the worst of the sea breeze. I've taken a shelf out of the thing so there's more room for it to grow.

Has anyone had any experiences with these?
A strong wind gust can topple the mini greenhouse and thus its contents. Place something heavy on the bottom shelf to weigh it down more and lower the centre of gravity.

Hi everyone, pretty new here! :)

I have a few Habaneros and a few Bhut Jolokias in my garden, doing quite well - loving the heat :)

Just picked up a grow tent (1.45m x 0.80m x 1.6m) and I have a few Habs in there too.  Was offered some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seeds so hope to get them germinating soon too!

Looking forward to seeing all your grow logs :)

Rocotto Aji Largo doing very well.  Its huge now.  I guess everyone knows how long a bath tub is?  This is wider than the bathtub!

P1040821_zpsfb0a0cff.jpg

couple of different views
P1040823_zps7e1d37b8.jpg

P1040824_zps15080775.jpg

Looking good David!  Wish I had 1/4 of that success for my grow.

Half my list this year (8 plants) either died or are locked up and stunted at 5-10cm tall after I went on holiday to NZ for 4 weeks... the mother in law was not able to keep them going as well as I'd hoped.

I have 4 plants in a raised bed that have stalled and another 4 plants in pots that are still growing well.  I'm hoping they will give me some chilies, but who knows.

Is it too late to start some more, or should I buy some seedlings from Masters/Bunnings?

A few of my plants are developing a severe curl and dry appearance on all of the new growth. Not sure what is happening.
Haven't been fertilising too much, nor overwatering.
What I have noticed is there are a squillion small green fly/gnat type bugs hanging around all of my plants, when you shake a branch, a cloud of these little bas$%#rds fly around then settle back on the plants. Any idea what they are and if they could be the cause of this new growth damage.

Curl.jpg

Thirdegree said:
A few of my plants are developing a severe curl and dry appearance on all of the new growth. Not sure what is happening.
What I have noticed is there are a squillion small green fly/gnat type bugs hanging around all of my plants, when you shake a branch, a cloud of these little bas$%#rds fly around then settle back on the plants. Any idea what they are and if they could be the cause of this new growth damage.

Guessing aphids.  Is there a sticky residue on the leaves?

Thirdegree said:

I don't think its aphids. That sort of damage is similar to what broadmites can do. But since you mention clouds of these little bastards flying around I'd say its a pretty heavy infestation of thrips.
Either way, you need to treat it!

I've had that before, it wrecked the plant, I didn't get to the bottom of it.  
For me it wasn't aphids.  Whatever it is, they are tiny

Definitely not aphids, been keeping a good eye for those little buggers, haven't sighted any as yet. 
This issue started with an overwintered plant that started to come back strong in early September, then started to curls and dry up in the growth areas.
I originally thought that the cold spell we had in mid Sep might have caused the problem.
Now other plants that were closest to this one are all starting to develop this problem.  
I am thinking either the pesky green flying thingies or even some plant disease that is spreading??

HI Lads, well I am back for another season even though it is a little late in the peice. I still have a lot of plants going from last year which is good  but lost a couple of my fav's along the way. Namely the scotch bonnet and Aji Lemon.

The seedlings that I left run over winter went crazy producing tiny pods. Jamacan Gold, Moruga, Red hab, Butch T, Butch T x BJ all did this.

I have a feeling that some of my plants have stalled and I am wondering if there might be a way to get them started again? Thanks for any and all help and best of luck for the new season.

I repotted most of the plants that had survived winter and gave them some fertilizer, they seem to be happily doing their thing now.

Highlucks - good to hear your plants are alive and made it through winter.  Did you try any of the small winter pods? I had a few small red habs over the winter that had heat so made a sauce with them.

Just transplanted 4 new sprouts that have just popped.  4 more seeds still to pop and that is my lot for this year. 

Some bug is steadily stripping my Jalapeno of its leaves.  Soon it will be sticks and 4 pods.  I'm definitely investing in some companion plants if the next round of seedlings make it.

My Aji Lemon is the only plant so far that is going gang busters, which is cool as I've not tried that type before.

Back