• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

How r ur peppers going in Perth west oz?

Seasol is more of a plant tonic that stimulates root growth and gives the plants good health and heat tolerance.

Power feed is the fertilizer that feeds the plants.

Both are good to use. If your growing in pots you can dilute the strength a bit more.

Have been using Seasol this season with some good results, applying every 2 weeks. Also a light hit of Dynamic Lifter ( makes the back yard smell like a market garden ) once a month.
Plants are getting a hammering at the moment with this 42 degree heat, a few plants are looking a bit crook, but have harvested enough produce to get me through till next year.
How are your plants coping with the extreme heat???

Thirdegree said:
Have been using Seasol this season with some good results, applying every 2 weeks. Also a light hit of Dynamic Lifter ( makes the back yard smell like a market garden ) once a month.
Plants are getting a hammering at the moment with this 42 degree heat, a few plants are looking a bit crook, but have harvested enough produce to get me through till next year.
How are your plants coping with the extreme heat???

I started using seasol and Powerfeed and would rotate between the two. But got put off since people said it has high nitrogen so don't use and find something which is higher in Potassium and Phosphorus with a lower Nitrogen. 

I live in Sydney so not as hot as perth but get 90% of the daily sun so my Jolokias are getting hammered and i'm find it annoying to keep moving them in and out of sun lol. 

Is there a chilli which loves full sun and high heat ? 

I live

shazam1 said:

I started using seasol and Powerfeed and would rotate between the two. But got put off since people said it has high nitrogen so don't use and find something which is higher in Potassium and Phosphorus with a lower Nitrogen. 

I live in Sydney so not as hot as perth but get 90% of the daily sun so my Jolokias are getting hammered and i'm find it annoying to keep moving them in and out of sun lol. 

Is there a chilli which loves full sun and high heat ? 

I live

Shazam,

Even here in Melbourne I have moved to growing under white 70% shade cloth. December and early Jan was brutal, yet the peppers thrived and I had none of the heat induced loss/scalding I have suffered in previous years. However, I am way behind PinHigh in production  - they are some awesome pods for early Feb!

I've removed the shade cloth for now, as the temps have return to normal 23-32deg days, If I spot the forecast going above 33 deg I'll put the cloth back up.

How are you irrigating? I've noticed my drip irrigated peppers are performing far better than those in a pot.

As noted by Pinhigh on this thread, I hunted down FloraNova Bloom and I've just started using that.

Luke

eLuke455 said:

Shazam,

Even here in Melbourne I have moved to growing under white 70% shade cloth. December and early Jan was brutal, yet the peppers thrived and I had none of the heat induced loss/scalding I have suffered in previous years. However, I am way behind PinHigh in production  - they are some awesome pods for early Feb!

I've removed the shade cloth for now, as the temps have return to normal 23-32deg days, If I spot the forecast going above 33 deg I'll put the cloth back up.

How are you irrigating? I've noticed my drip irrigated peppers are performing far better than those in a pot.

As noted by Pinhigh on this thread, I hunted down FloraNova Bloom and I've just started using that.

Luke

Thanks for the response Luke ! 
I might look into getting a shade cloth but how 70% blockage do you get ? 

The plants are in decent sized pots and I seem to water every second day due to the heat causing them to shrivel up. 

shazam1 said:

Thanks for the response Luke ! 
I might look into getting a shade cloth but how 70% blockage do you get ? 

The plants are in decent sized pots and I seem to water every second day due to the heat causing them to shrivel up. 
Shazam,

not sure what you mean by how 70% blockage? If you are asking how much light do you get through 70%, you still get quite a lot.
I was camping over xmas for 4 weeks I had to leave the garden beds unattended for that time, I put the cloth up as we had a strong possibility of super hot days.
I noticed no detrimental impact on my cucumbers, tomatoes, corn or peppers, all which continued to thrive under the cloth.
I have taken it down now as it is a large 6m x 6m piece and the wind causes some wear and tear, so until I really need it I will leave it down.

When you say you are watering your pots every second day, how do you water them and for how long?

One thing I have noticed since swapping to drip irrigation is that my previous hand watering was more or less ineffective. I would hand water for 30 mins every day, but I would intensively water each plant where most of the water was lost to run-off in the raised bed & pots, and it never really penetrated the soil. I have since found with drip irrigation that the slow release of water allows it soak the soil, and your run-off is minimal. It might be slower, by try soaking your pots in a tub of water (add some ferts at the same time) - leave it to soak for 15 mins and see if that extends the time between watering.

Also there are a lot of threads on here about the soil used in the pots. Myself I am using a mixture of coir, perlite, vermiculite, compost.

Cheers
Luke

Hey guys great to see this thread being revived :P
Been quite a while since I have been on here as I now work over 50hrs a week and find it hard to look after my Chilli let alone keeping up with forums.

Looks like some great growing is being done and had a bit of a drool over the fantastic harvest piccies :cool:

Well I had a day off today so thought I would post some piccies of a few pods-

IMAG0063.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Purple flower

IMAG0080.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Purple

IMAG0115.jpg

Carolina Reaper ripening

IMAG0135.jpg

Carolina Reaper

IMAG0153.jpg

Ugly Reaper

IMAG0151.jpg

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

IMAG0164.jpg

CGN 21566

IMAG0165.jpg

Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Long

And finally
IMAG0175.jpg

7-Pod Primo

Hope you enjoy!

Happy Chilli Growing :twisted:

Micca

Hi mate,

Most of my seeds have popped up just waiting on the last batch which should be up in the next few days. I did spy an Aji Margariteno hook this arvo though. My OW plants are *just starting to make a comeback, this winter hanging around an extra month this year has not helped one bit though.

How is your grow?

I hope some more West Aussies jump on the forums soon

Jason

Not great all of my OW's failed. so I will be trying to start a fresh with a few personal faves. BJ, Fatali, SB I have a few Madball 7 seeds from last year that I will have another crack at.

Sorry to hear about your OW's. I'm not sure about some of mine either.

Bunnings in WA has great range of chillies now thanks to being supplied by The Chilli Factory

Been quiet over here in WA because its still bloody Winter! Someone didn't tell the weather that its supposed to be SPRING.
Tops of around 19Deg.C at the moment and lots of rain storms etc. Bloody winter go away!

Alright rant over and now on to the Chilli talk :-)

Picture of my babies
IMAG0475_1.jpg

And my redneck diy aeroponic system with ebay led light
IMAG0465_1.jpg

IMAG0467_1.jpg

IMAG0450_1.jpg

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

I know right the weather is a joke this year.

Plants looking great Micca302 I notice a lot of purple leaves there too. What's your list this year?

Awesome, I've got 32 this year and that's about my limit due to space.. some plants are OW from last year so might change as I'm expecting some seeds to show up in the mail shortly.

1. 7pot Congo SR gigantic Red
2. Joe's Long Cayenne
3. MoA Scotch Bonnet
4. Aji Margariteno
5. Aji Pineapple
6. 7pot Burgundy
7. Cumari Do Para
8. Bahamian Goat
9. 7pot Yellow
10. TS Butch T
11. Carolina Reaper
12. Chocolate Habanero
13. Red Habanero
14. Tabanaga
15. Baby Morich1 - frutescense type
16. Baby Morich2 - chinense type
17. Scotch Bonnet Red
18. Jamaican SB Yellow (anuum)
19. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
20. Fatalii
21. Tabasco Red
22. Tabasco Yellow
23. Bhut Jolokia Red
24. Bhut Jolokia Caramel
25. Brazilian Starfish
26. Red Cap Mushroom
27. Hawaiian chilli
28. Yellow/Orange Manzano - did not germinate
29. Nagabrains Red
30. Orange Primo x BOC F2
31. White Bullet Habanero
32. Aji Jobito

What medium/potting mix do you guys use?

Hey Guys,

New here, just thought I would say hi.

Have a bit of self taught experience with chillies, have grown some chillies in my time, not with too much success;

Habanero
Scotch Bonnet
Bhut Johlokia
Carolina Reaper
Trinidad Scorpion
Choc Habanero
Birds eye chilli

Only have a few pics on me at the moment but will post up a few more when I find them around.
fxukur.jpg

10h3vkg.jpg

But after spending the last two days reading through this thread I've completely thrown out all I know about growing chillies and have a new lease on life :P

I've been fertilising about once every 2 or 3 months... And was wondering why I haven't had a good harvest from all my plants.

This season I'll be only really focusing on Scotch bonnets as the mrs is Jamaican and can't get enough of them.

Anyway looking forward to sharing my experience this season with you all.

Cheers,
Damien

Back