• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Huge HUGE Problem !!!!!!!!

hello. i noticed today a couple of silverfish bugs in my house. is it possible that they came from the soil i am using to plant my seeds? i think that since i have to keep the soil moist for the seeds.

if this is the trigger than i can not plant anymore :(

We have the odd silverfish in our house in summer, but never enough to do any noticeable damage.
I doubt it was related to your soil.

It is possible they came from the soil, and I say that because I've seen some appear in an isolated area, near pots.
They're not great danger, just make sure you keep those plants outside and be careful when you purchase a soil next. if you collect it naturally, make sure you bake it in high heat to kill anything inside of it.

gods this things sucked, I also had these and weird looking round bulb looking thing in my dirt, I tried lotta thing to get rid of them even garlic water... I couldn't get rid of them and they were hundreds in all my pots... I ended up getting rid of all 30 of my plants due to this problem, when I shined a light on the dirt they were swarming around, was a sad day when I got rid of my plants...

thanks for the answers :) yeah my soil is kinda cheap because i bought it then i found out it had roots in it and what not -.-

I still have yet to figure out the big deal about silverfish? They are essentially harmless, and I believe the hype/stigma originates from old wives tales. They are not worth getting upset about! They are not a sign of filth despite what some may believe. If you live in a building/structure, just about anywhere in the world, you will have silverfish whether you see them or not. If you want to keep plants of just about any kind you should get used to seeing a few harmless "creepy-crawlies" now and then. No reason to throw away all of your plants because they may have a few soil mites or sow bugs in the soil. Sorry, just an entomologist's rant....

I still have yet to figure out the big deal about silverfish? They are essentially harmless, and I believe the hype/stigma originates from old wives tales. They are not worth getting upset about! They are not a sign of filth despite what some may believe. If you live in a building/structure, just about anywhere in the world, you will have silverfish whether you see them or not. If you want to keep plants of just about any kind you should get used to seeing a few harmless "creepy-crawlies" now and then. No reason to throw away all of your plants because they may have a few soil mites or sow bugs in the soil. Sorry, just an entomologist's rant....
they eat plants , wood ,etc ...

They're not a danger to your plants. it's jut not pleasant having bugs running around your house, behind the fridge etc. as long as they're outside, you're good. next time bake the soil because sometimes there harmful bugs like aphids.

They mostly eat mildew and fungal spores located or embedded in (so they have to take bites out of) cellulose containing items such as paper, wood, or cloth(plant derived). Usually these items are either very old, or had been exposed to high humidity/moisture at one time or another. They eat very little, and are not considered an agricultural or wood destroying pest. They only are considered pests because most people don't like to see them (or any bugs). People just don't like looking at them, so they see one and pay an exterminator big money to spray their house...cracks me up (makes me laugh). Pest control companies love them!

+1 seriously they are no big deal

The most harm they may do is chew holes in cotton fabric (ie t-shirts, clothing sheets etc and usually only cheaper types). Other then that pain in the anus possibility they are not to be worried about in terms of plant health or human health as stated above.

Back