• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Hydro Grow 2010

Wow bummer bro. That plant is BEASTLY. Maybe it will instantly grow pods when it sees the pruners!! I feel your pain. :confused: :mad:

Thanks. Yeah the plant wants to grow out but it is being forced up because of the walls.
It is going to suck cutting it back but at least it helped me learn how to operate a hydro system.

Live and learn but man your doing it right!

Thanks for the kind words. I really like the fact that everything is on timers and somewhat hands off. Sure you have to watch the PH and EC, but if I want to leave for several days I could adjust things accordingly and know all will be well.

nice did u start the seeds in the rockwool in the hydro or out and put it in after it sprouted

Thanks. I did not put the rockwool plug into the hydro setup until it sprouted. In retrospect, I should have done this from the beginning. I waited because this was the first time I used rockwool. I actually planted 2 seeds in soil and 2 seeds in rockwool. The seeds in soil sprouted first so I transplanted a seedling into a rockwool plug and put that in the flood table.

thanx for the info this is a neat little system i am experamenting with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwqsW4fO3w

thanx for the info this is a neat little system i am experamenting with

Looks like a nice unit. I am just wondering if you should scale it up a bit for a tomato plant? I haven't grown one in hydro, but I imagine that entire coffee container will fill with roots quickly.

i agree i did some mods bigger container and made a top drip to it and going to plant a blut in there to see how it fairs would be nice for herbs for sure

excellent looking plant. any chance we could get a shot of the roots?

Here is a picture of the roots. The plant and roots have been chopped back. I planted what remained in potting soil and am hoping for the best.

goatpepperseedling024.jpg

goatpepperseedling023.jpg

Here is a picture of the roots. The plant and roots have been chopped back. I planted what remained in potting soil and am hoping for the best.

have you ever done hydro to dirt before? Just curious how easy it is / success rates. I just pulled a plant out of a dwc bucket a few days ago and put it in dirt. fingers crossed...

have you ever done hydro to dirt before? Just curious how easy it is / success rates. I just pulled a plant out of a dwc bucket a few days ago and put it in dirt. fingers crossed...

Nope. This was my first time trying out hydro. I just decided to try throwing it in soil. If it dies oh well. I have started more seeds for this variety, but I hope it makes it. Early pods would be nice.

I did it last year, well not fully grown plants but plants from a cutting board with alot of roots. I didn't have any issues at all. Just try to spread out the roots in the pot while filling with dirt. I did it with around 20 plants none died for me at least and it was my first try.

Good lord those roots are off the charts. I have been learning more about different hydro types lately, very interesting stuff.

I did a hydro to soil with a Peter pepper that was seriously yellow and dying, its been a couple weeks and it seems to have adjusted quite well, only damage i did was tearing the hydroton from the roots, it is much greener now, but hasn't really grown, but just glad to know its living :)

I did it last year, well not fully grown plants but plants from a cutting board with alot of roots. I didn't have any issues at all. Just try to spread out the roots in the pot while filling with dirt. I did it with around 20 plants none died for me at least and it was my first try.

So far the plant looks fine but it with take a little while to know for sure.

That's one dense tightly woven root mass Josh. What did ya use to trim it, a machete? ;)

Nice work!

Yea I was surprised at how pristine they looked. In the photo they appear to be darkened in some places but that was just the lighting. I used an old serrated knife.

Good lord those roots are off the charts. I have been learning more about different hydro types lately, very interesting stuff.

Thanks. Yea I definitely like hydro. I did a flood and drain for my pepper plant and a DWC for lettuce. I prefer the flood and drain. The separate reservoir makes PH adjustment, changes, etc. a lot easier.

I did a hydro to soil with a Peter pepper that was seriously yellow and dying, its been a couple weeks and it seems to have adjusted quite well, only damage i did was tearing the hydroton from the roots, it is much greener now, but hasn't really grown, but just glad to know its living :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope mine makes it.

good luck transplanting that beast. my hp aero tabasco plant lost about 95% of its leaves when i transplanted to soil. i however had to cut away like 99% of the roots because of the netpot i was using. i suspect your plant will do much better than mine.

its just now starting to put out new shoots.

first off i have never attempted pepper plants indoor grow
however the "fruiting" cycle of some other botanical i have some previous
experimentations with were quite sensitive to photoperiod
like if you had the lights on 18/6 they would only grow leaves
but 12/12 would start the "fruiting"

is it possible to force peppers to flower and fruit
(by changing the length of day)?

i missed it if you mentioned the times or do you know
the peppers just fruit when they are old enough like puberty?
sorry if this has been discussed and i just missed something?

Man I'm sorry I missed this Josh, would have loved watching the progress. Bummer about no pods but holy smokes that is a beautiful plant and that mass of roots is incredible! Wish someone could get hair to grow like that, ha!

I hope you get the no pod problem figured out. You going to try this again next fall?

is it possible to force peppers to flower and fruit
(by changing the length of day)?
peppers arent photo period sensitive like cannabis. i have bih jolokias under 24/7 light right now(smashed timer) pushing out bunches of flower pods. from what i know, photo period sensitivity is the exception not the rule when it comes to fruiting plants.

Back