• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I Am In Love With Rocotos

Would it be weird to say I'm drooling over your Pubes? :crazy: I can't wait to get these bad boys started!

I sighted my first ripening Rocoto of the season:

yHrih.jpg

Ripening Rocoto :dance:

Eating half of a fresh Rocoto last season caused drool, running nose, running eyes and a burning throat. I would say take one Rocoto to solve your drooling issue but it may have the reverse effect. :onfire:

WOW!!! You have a beautiful pair there buddy! :rofl:

On a serious note, I'm getting really excited about growing rocotos this season. Have been hearing a lot of good things!

Hey Redtail, you can be even more excited to know your rocoto seeds are healthy, 1 in rockwool popped yesterday, nothing in soil yet. and both datils are now up and i can't believe how healthy and aggressive the datil seeds that you sent. no action on the bondas yet. back to the rocoto, i soaked them overnight on jan 24, set them in the mini greenhouse on the jan 25, rocoto popped feb 9 but it is slow(in comparison to the datil that also popped yesterday). when i didn't see any action in rocoto i put 3 in the fridge for a week, then feb 8 put them in baggies and into the greenhouse for germination(i'll let you know if this worked).

I was happy to find some rocotos for sale at a big Mexican market in Indianapolis a few days ago. I suspected they were rocotos because of the shape and the very thick flesh but they weren't labeled. I asked the lady working there if they were manzanos (since that's what the Mexicans I know call them, at least the few that have heard of them) she just said they were sweet and not hot. I called BS and bought them anyway. I broke one open when I got home and sure enough...black seeds. I took a bite and there was zero heat for about 5 seconds, and then a fairly strong burn came on. Unfortunately only about half of them were ripe. The green ones don't have much flavor but the orange ones taste great and are quite a bit hotter. I'm going save some seeds from the orange ones.

Edit: I'm surprised by the heat of the orange one I tried, it just keeps burning. Even though it's lower on the scoville scale, the rocoto feels a lot hotter to me than an equivalent among of habanero, and the heat lasts about 5 times longer.

0314011616.jpg

Manzanos and Rocotos have 3 versions of capsacian(SP?) in them.
They hit all your receptors in your mouth,thus seeming hotter than they are.

Manzanos and Rocotos have 3 versions of capsacian(SP?) in them.
They hit all your receptors in your mouth,thus seeming hotter than they are.

I was under the impression that all peppers contained all, or at least most, of the 6 capsinoids, just in varying proportions...

I wish more research would be done on this, there doesn't seem to be much out there. It would be interesting to see the percentages of each in various peppers and the intensity and type and duration that each capsinoid provides.

Anyone have an idea as to what kind of low temps Manzano's can endure? It's coming toward the end of our growing season here for the hotties but i threw ~8 Manzano seeds into some water to soak yesterday and was wondering if they will produce during the winter here or if they would kick the bucket. It can get cold here but not below zero (very rarely).

Experiences with temps anyone?

Anyone have an idea as to what kind of low temps Manzano's can endure? It's coming toward the end of our growing season here for the hotties but i threw ~8 Manzano seeds into some water to soak yesterday and was wondering if they will produce during the winter here or if they would kick the bucket. It can get cold here but not below zero (very rarely).

Experiences with temps anyone?

We'll have to play the conversion game, but mine lasted through several light freezes before a 17F night finally fried them. My guess is that they would not have tolerated anything below about 25F in the location mine were in (shielded from the front winds by the house). I think that's -1/-2C for you. I wouldn't count on that, per se, but I certainly saw survival without major effect down to that level. These were also days without sustained freeze. Temps would rise up into the 40s and 50s (up to 12/13C), at least, after those nights.

We'll have to play the conversion game, but mine lasted through several light freezes before a 17F night finally fried them. My guess is that they would not have tolerated anything below about 25F in the location mine were in (shielded from the front winds by the house). I think that's -1/-2C for you. I wouldn't count on that, per se, but I certainly saw survival without major effect down to that level. These were also days without sustained freeze. Temps would rise up into the 40s and 50s (up to 12/13C), at least, after those nights.

Thanks mate by the sound of that they will be just fine. :cheers:

Do you cut rocoto branches for purpose of overwinterning?
I cut mine. They are 1st year plants.
One is Rocoto Red Peruvian and the second one is Rocoto Amarillo
After 2.5 months here it is Rocoto Red Peruvian.

BEFORE - 15.Oct.2011
15102011776.jpg

LATER - 27.Dec.2011
271220111010.jpg

Working on the '12 growlist, and was thinking about these, but have a couple of concerns. I've read they like it cool, since they originate from a high altitude location. I got the high altitude part covered, I'm ~ 5,500, but we can get some pretty hot days, over 100 degrees, but usually averaging 85 - low 90's in the summer months. The nights are cool though, 40's - 50's. So if I put them on the east side of the house, where they just get morning sun, do you think they'd be okay? The other issue is our short growing season. Last frost is usually around the 3rd week of May and first frost is anywhere from mid-Sept. to early Oct. Should I just plan on growing them in a pot, so I can move them indoors at the end of the season. I'm just wondering if there is enough time to get a harvest here.

Working on the '12 growlist, and was thinking about these, but have a couple of concerns. I've read they like it cool, since they originate from a high altitude location. I got the high altitude part covered, I'm ~ 5,500, but we can get some pretty hot days, over 100 degrees, but usually averaging 85 - low 90's in the summer months. The nights are cool though, 40's - 50's. So if I put them on the east side of the house, where they just get morning sun, do you think they'd be okay? The other issue is our short growing season. Last frost is usually around the 3rd week of May and first frost is anywhere from mid-Sept. to early Oct. Should I just plan on growing them in a pot, so I can move them indoors at the end of the season. I'm just wondering if there is enough time to get a harvest here.

Your issue will be much more with the growing season than the heat. They can handle some heat, as long as it isn't sustained. And it sounds like yours isn't. But I have a hell of a time getting ripe fruit here. That being said, you probably have a longer uninterrupted growing season than I do. My vote? Try it!

Back