• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I have a question about fish emulsion + Some other things.

solid7 said:

For what you're doing now, keep it simple.  This is gonna go off the rails, if we let it.  Until somebody posts a thread about the other stuff, it's just men in lab coats talk.  Fish and fertilizer works - guaranteed.  Lots of peeps around here to testify.
Try not to chase every tangent - your clock is ticking, get growing...

Ah I see. i am good for 6 weeks for the fertilizer.  plus about every 2-3 weeks i will be doing a epsom salt spray. someone told me after 6 weeks i'll need to add something else. do you know what they meant by this?

Codeman said:

Ah I see. i am good for 6 weeks for the fertilizer.  plus about every 2-3 weeks i will be doing a epsom salt spray. someone told me after 6 weeks i'll need to add something else. do you know what they meant by this?

You don't really need to just spray stuff on your plants, just because.  But I guess a lot of people do it.  Personally, I don't, but your call.  Your fertilizer is complete.  The fish emulsion more than ensures that.

solid7 said:

You don't really need to just spray stuff on your plants, just because.  But I guess a lot of people do it.  Personally, I don't, but your call.  Your fertilizer is complete.  The fish emulsion more than ensures that.

Oh! I have to ask too. I bought and used some just natural brand of mushroom compost. My question is would this particular brand of mushroom compost be too much salt? And also would it change the ph of my soil to the point of it hurting or depriving something for my pepper plants? Like make it too alkaline so it doesn't absorb certain nutrients that it needs? I am going to add pine straw mulch to retain moisture.

With the malted barley as said before you want the stuff for brewing beer or making whiskey - it is very cheap and you want it from a brewing store. The stuff for horse feed is not as good at all

The highest enzyme count will be in pale ale or any other light ale and they have been roasted the least if at all.

It's not just amylase either - although that is all brewers care about. It contains chitinase, protease, phosphotase and a host of other beneficial enzymes for the soil. Phosphatase and chitinase are of incredible importance for the soil!

Just get the whole stuff, not the powder, and grind it as you need it. Simply topdess it and don't worry about the amount too much. You want coverage as if you're trying to salt a steak 45 minutes before you cook it or adding flour to the top of bread or a cake

If you're stuck just ask the person in the brewing store which whole barley has the highest diastatic power and it will be fine, it's not hugely important. Anything that you can brew beer from will be good enough

Codeman said:

Oh! I have to ask too. I bought and used some just natural brand of mushroom compost. My question is would this particular brand of mushroom compost be too much salt? And also would it change the ph of my soil to the point of it hurting or depriving something for my pepper plants? Like make it too alkaline so it doesn't absorb certain nutrients that it needs? I am going to add pine straw mulch to retain moisture.

It's fine as mushroom compost is regular compost that has been aged and left to sit for a while, then has mushrooms grown from it several times. You can use it as a potting mix if you wish and it usually has big pieces of straw or bark in it 

Powelly said:
With the malted barley as said before you want the stuff for brewing beer or making whiskey - it is very cheap and you want it from a brewing store. The stuff for horse feed is not as good at all

The highest enzyme count will be in pale ale or any other light ale and they have been roasted the least if at all.

It's not just amylase either - although that is all brewers care about. It contains chitinase, protease, phosphotase and a host of other beneficial enzymes for the soil. Phosphatase and chitinase are of incredible importance for the soil!

Just get the whole stuff, not the powder, and grind it as you need it. Simply topdess it and don't worry about the amount too much. You want coverage as if you're trying to salt a steak 45 minutes before you cook it or adding flour to the top of bread or a cake

If you're stuck just ask the person in the brewing store which whole barley has the highest diastatic power and it will be fine, it's not hugely important. Anything that you can brew beer from will be good enough

Now I'm just getting even more confused. I am not looking to grind stuff ok. just link me what i need to go and buy and use to top dress and thats it. i am ordering pine straw mulch today locally. Lol they wanted to deliver to my house for 40 bucks for 10 minutes travel for the pine straw mulch.

There are a BUNCH of brew shops near Greensboro NC if that is where you are located. Im sure every single one has malted barley. Just a quick look at the pics showed a grinder at Big Dans. I bet they all have a grinder right next to the malted barley. Buy a bag, grind it and bring it home.....its that simple.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brew+shops+in+greensboro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=brew+shops+in+greensboro&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=36081357,-79883737,6676&tbm=lcl&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10&rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d119400.35521446675!2d-79.5150813!3d36.019396650000004!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i722!2i222!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

ShowMeDaSauce said:
There are a BUNCH of brew shops near Greensboro NC if that is where you are located. Im sure every single one has malted barley. Just a quick look at the pics showed a grinder at Big Dans. I bet they all have a grinder right next to the malted barley. Buy a bag, grind it and bring it home.....its that simple.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brew+shops+in+greensboro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=brew+shops+in+greensboro&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=36081357,-79883737,6676&tbm=lcl&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10&rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d119400.35521446675!2d-79.5150813!3d36.019396650000004!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i722!2i222!4f13.1;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

So buy malted barley powder?

Its free setting right next to the malted barley. Its there to use AFTER you buy the malted barley. Kinda like the ones near whole bean coffee at the markets.

Call them and ask. I can only speak for mine. At mine they require you buy the barley first and then they allow you to use the grinder.

I was looking at alfalfa hay on amazon and someone here told me it is good mulch. what am i looking for in alfalfa hay? It shouldn't attract any animals right?  What is a good brand of alfalfa hay on amazon?

I'm not sure what's so confusing

Buy malted barley for brewing
Take a cup of it and put it in a coffee grinder
Sprinkle on top of plants
Water plants

Powelly, thanks for the info on the barley enzymes. Good to know.

I want to throw my 2 cents in for Neptune's Harvest Organic Hydrolized Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer. I swear buy this stuff and have seen amazing results with it. Not just on my peppers but flowers as well. I've given it both drenched and sprayed and it has never harmed my plants. I've even used it on just sprouted seedlings. The smell completely dissipates in less than 24 hours (I've used it inside house as well, wife wasn't too happy). I can't say anything negative about the Alaska brand because I've never used it, but I can tell you if you take the time to read about Neptune's... their product is in it's own league, it's multiple varieties of fish, clean water sourced, and it's the whole parts of the fish, not just the left overs like most other brands. And the Seaweed has growth factors as well as balancing out the full nutrition.

Back