• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds I need a Germination Station in 2009....

My plants were way too small this year when I put them out on May 1st. I started them in Mid-Feb but there is just not enough daylight in Zone 6 to get them real big in 2 1/2 months. So....

I think that I would like to invest in some sort of "germination station" for 2009. Some type of grow lights and set-up that will enable me to get my plants bigger before I can put them outside.

Are there commercially available products to meet this need or something that I would have to build myself? Does anyone else use something similar to that which I described?

How many seeds do you want to start and how big of an area do you have to work with?

Petey.

Do a search about grow lights - you'll probably find a few dozen posts. AJ is going to post his top-secret (at the moment) grow chamber plans once he gets them drawn.

Mike

There is Germination Stations that have up to 72 cells in them with a heating pad however the pad doesnt really get hot enough IMO I use a heating pad so if you go that route Home Depot or Agway or Garden Center may have a few of the domed stations available and just purchase a heating pad of waterbed heater and some flouros and you are on your way

If you are wanting to produce a lot of seedlings, I would recommend building a germinator...there would be plenty of help on how to build it...here is a picture of my "Grow Garage" from back in February before plantout...the "germinator" is on the right wall but you can't see much detail...it has two "chambers" each of which will hold four 72 cell seed starting trays...

garagegrowroomyz1.jpg

this becomes my man cave in the winter months...

Unfortunately in the winter months my man-cave is also home of the Abdominal Snow Blower and Yukon Cornelius and my sometimes good friend Yukon Jack

I hope Petey didn't think I was trying to hijack his thread...as you all know, I am very interested in these set ups and have learned a lot in the last year...

Where'd you go Petey?

Petey here...

I like you set-up AJ. Very well thought out and quite impressive. I'm looking for something quite a bit smaller. I don't think that I explained myself very well in the OP and what I am looking for may not even be a germination station.

I figure about 48 seedlings maybe 60. My dilemma will be after they sprout and getting good strong solid growth in 2 1/2 to 3 months. I can't rely on the late winter early spring sun to get the type of growth that I need...

So, I figure that I need some powerful grow lights and some sort of stand to get the puppies movin' toward the sky at a little better clip. I'm sure something is commercially available, just haven't had the time to do the research.

The lighting fixture should be about 48"L x 24" wide. This should be sufficient, may have to cut back on the seedlings. What type of lights am I looking for? Compact Fluorescent, Metal Halide, something else. I guess that is the real question.

Sheesh, I morphed my own thread.

PeteyPepper said:
Petey here...

I like you set-up AJ. Very well thought out and quite impressive. I'm looking for something quite a bit smaller. I don't think that I explained myself very well in the OP and what I am looking for may not even be a germination station.

I figure about 48 seedlings maybe 60. My dilemma will be after they sprout and getting good strong solid growth in 2 1/2 to 3 months. I can't rely on the late winter early spring sun to get the type of growth that I need...

So, I figure that I need some powerful grow lights and some sort of stand to get the puppies movin' toward the sky at a little better clip. I'm sure something is commercially available, just haven't had the time to do the research.

The lighting fixture should be about 48"L x 24" wide. This should be sufficient, may have to cut back on the seedlings. What type of lights am I looking for? Compact Fluorescent, Metal Halide, something else. I guess that is the real question.

Sheesh, I morphed my own thread.

Thanks Petey...I am going to have to double the size of my little operation for this coming spring...

If you are going to bring off 48 to 60 seedlings an area of 48" X24 inches should be enough depending on the size of containers you use...if you use the 3" square containers you can get 60 under that area with no problem and they will accomodate growth for about 3 months variable depending on which species you grow. My experience this year was the annuums grow a lot faster than the chinense do but the chinense get bushier quicker.

I would recommend having at least 3 feet height for the area you are going to set up. That includes enough room for the light fixture too. I had seedlings over 16" tall that were touching my lights before plantout because I only had about 24" spacing between shelves. Make sure you can adjust the height of your lights from the tops of the peppers.

To me, the very first thing you need is a controlled environment for the seedlings...a constant 86F (30C) seems to be about the optimum for germination. I kept my seedlings at 86F costant until everything was planted out...controlled environment means a closed box or area of come kind.

Lights...many different opinions and options...metal halide, high pressure sodium, standard fluorescents, Compact Fluorescents, LEDs, etc. Each has a different start up cost and operating cost. I am using standard 48" T-12, 40 Watt shop light fixtures with a 4100K and 6500K bulb in each fixture. My grow area is 16" wide and 8' long (3 levels) so if you want to go the cheapest start up cost 3 shop lights with 2 bulbs each will give you complete coverage for the 48" long and 24" wide area. Mind you, I am not recommending you use what I am, just saying what I use. There are several members that use T-8s instead of T-12s.

Air movement...you will need air circulation...this is to make the plants sway in the breeze giving them a more robust stem. I use a fan for my grow areas about an hour twice a day...

Watering...make sure you have a way to bottom water your seedlings...

Number one recommendation...keep a watchful eye out for aphids...if you ever get infested, you will be fighting them until plantout...

enough ramblin'...I am sure others will have other opinions..

LUCKYDOG said:
and about 200 linear feet of Mylar :D

I actually got by with less than 100 :lol:

Chiliac said:
I was going to start out easy!

I was too when I first started...

Back