• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense I "NEED" a good red c. chinense. Which is the most prolific?

Paper Lantern and Naga Morich are overlooked these days.
SOME Paper lanterns can be pretty darn hot.
Both the Naga Morich and Lantern ,I think , have a better Chinense taste than a lot of the super duoer hots.

There is a red Devils Tongue too.

Caribbean Reds are pretty productive and can be very Hot (sold a lot as Red Savina in my opinion.)

Red Dominica is a good red hab. type too.
One strain has giant pods.
But that strain might be lost...SBS developed it or grew it out and I don't think anyone else grew it in isolation to preserve the strain.
Was called Giant Red Dominica as opposed to Red Dominica years ago.
Both are very productive red hab. types.

Lots of cool stuff got lost in the super hot insanity that is going on along with the quest for re naming every cross (mostly unstable) or pod variation as a new strain these days.
Too many people want anything that sells for big $ or with a name that means nothing.

Example:
Isn't the original Douglah a brown pod?
A version of 7 pot or scorpion?

If so,How can you call any other color a Yellow,red or whatever Douglah?
Isn't it a Douglah Cross most likely or something that wasn't stable but put out 1 or more generations of brown pods before reverting back to it's unstable parents genes.
So wouldn't a yellow or whatever be a 7 pot or scorpion yellow or...?
Not a brown podded pepper-Douglah anymore?
The word Douglah means a brown possible cross of whatever in general.Be it stable or not in plants.
It's a racial tern for mixed race in Tobago and Trinidad...cross of African and whatever.

My point is,I'd go with the older tried and true varieties.They will produce better and be uniform in taste,heat and productivity.
Buy the seeds from an established vendor,a trade might not grow what you want.
Isolated seeds from a trade might not be pure...

I do have a Naga Morich(possible X) that I call Eskimo Naga.

The original seeds were from Peppermania.
I sent a friend some in a trade.
The plant got froze all winter under snow but came back in the spring and kicked out tons of pods that spring.
I tried getting people to grow seeds for it out and leave it in the garden all winter to see if those plants also survived.
Everyone pulled their plants or tilled them under.So the possible mutant,cold genes in the mother plant are still questionable.
Would be cool to have a cold tolerant chinense...
I don't have a winter here so I can't test the strain here.Nobody I sent seeds to fulfilled their promise to leave the plant out all winter.
I'm thinking the plant might have a root system that kept the plants underground system alive allowing it to re grow in spring.
The original grower was going to pull the plant but saw a new sprout comming out from the frozen dead stem.
It wasn't a new seed from a fallen pod.She dug up the plant and it came from the original roots.

Still have seeds, I think ,for it.
They are a couple seasons old but I'd still like to get some one who has a winter,that I can trust/traded with before to grow them out(hopfully isolated a few pods)in a place that actually has a winter.

Sell tons of them before next fall,I'll be rich I tell ya,filthy stinkin rich... :)

$6 gazillion a seed.Working with the worlds best BSer to market the seeds for me. LOL

Smokemaster- I just got another 3 inches of snow here. I definetly have a REAL winter :tear: Would love to be a tester for your seeds!

Try Antilles Fire, infinity or primo! Heres a leaf on my primo its an awesome looking plant! I dont have a pic of the plant with me but I'll try and remember to snap one when i get home for you.

CAM00386_zps636c6d3d.jpg

Here's that primo. It lost a leaf on the way to the foyer for its photo shoot :(. Any way its only around 3 months old and I'm sure it will be a beauty in a 10 gallon pot with a bunch of sun.
CAM00392_zps20f43cdf.jpg

Smileyguy, that plant would be worth growing even if it didn't make peppers! Think about how many ornamental plants are being sold that are not nearly as impressive as that bad girl?

+1 on the naga. in teh ground they will get 6 ft tall and produce hundreds of peppers in the right conditions.

i love the red 7 pot personally, so that's what i would suggest. the taste is my favorite so far. i'll send you some seeds (red 7) if you pm me your addy.

Smileyguy, that plant would be worth growing even if it didn't make peppers! Think about how many ornamental plants are being sold that are not nearly as impressive as that bad girl?

Yeah I'm telling ya she does nothing but grow! I can't wait to get it in a bigger pot and let her get some sunshine! I'm hoping for an eight footer!

Back