• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense I "NEED" a good red c. chinense. Which is the most prolific?

I only have room for about 3 more plants in my small garden area. I would like to use a red chinense type in these last few spots. There are many to choose from and, I don't have a clue which is best. Especially for this hades-heat down here later in the season.

The few I found that seem to be good choices according to the description on the sites offering them are; Red Savina, Caribbean Red, Congo Red, Red Habanero, Hot Paper Lantern.

What "red" is the best producer for you guys? It doesn't have to be one listed above. None of the "super-hots" are described as being especially productive. Is this so?

I've got some Carribean Reds and Red Savinas that have done well so far. We'll see what happens to them come June.

I got about 10lbs of fresh pods off of 3 Caribbean Reds I grew last year. (Well, actually 4 but one only produced about 10 pods because it was in a cramped area and lost the battle for the sun to some other plants) They were much more productive than my scorps and bhuts but as you can see from the other posts here your results can vary.

I only have room for about 3 more plants in my small garden area. I would like to use a red chinense type in these last few spots. There are many to choose from and, I don't have a clue which is best. Especially for this hades-heat down here later in the season.

The few I found that seem to be good choices according to the description on the sites offering them are; Red Savina, Caribbean Red, Congo Red, Red Habanero, Hot Paper Lantern.

What "red" is the best producer for you guys? It doesn't have to be one listed above. None of the "super-hots" are described as being especially productive. Is this so?
yes the one you mentioned are great but i was not excited about the psper lantern hab, there not bad but you can do better
one thing can be said about the paper lantern and that is that it is very prolific, so are carribean red habs
red 7 pot or red scotch bonnet are very tasty and would be a great choice tou,but they are hotter than your average Hab

thanks your friend Joe

Include me in the group that loves CR's. Also, Grenada Hots are very good red chinense peppers. They are also hardy - mine are going on 4 years.

must they be red?, i actually have found that there are species such as the below that taste better

devils tongue yellow
white giant hab
Australian lantern hab

thanks your friend Joe

Back