• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I need help - I'm addicted

I ran across this bulb and had to order it. I don't know why. Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for CFL lamps and had good luck growing seedlings under them, except for having to watch the moisture levels of the trays. But this thing's rated lumens are impressive - 6,900.

Even if it doesn't work for my seedlings, I have to figure that is worth buying, if for no other reason than I can use it to raise a couple of Green Sausage or a Red delicious tomato. All I need to do it pick up a piece of tin and make a nice reflector.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I ran across this bulb and had to order it. I don't know why. Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for CFL lamps and had good luck growing seedlings under them, except for having to watch the moisture levels of the trays. But this thing's rated lumens are impressive - 6,900.

Even if it doesn't work for my seedlings, I have to figure that is worth buying, if for no other reason than I can use it to raise a couple of Green Sausage or a Red delicious tomato. All I need to do it pick up a piece of tin and make a nice reflector.

Mike

I used a 12inch by 12inch box that was completly reflective inside (every square inch) and hung above were 4 - 27 Watt (100 Eq.) 2700K CFLs which I could turn on and off separately. Also I had two small 12 volt brushless DC fans one blowing in one out to cool the lights.

My groth was NOT leggy at all, they got light from every direction and when I finally took them out, they looked amazing.

CFLs work great for seedlings.

wordwiz said:

Mike

234971_front200.jpg

Instead of making a reflector get one of these, they're like 7 bucks and come with a long cord, socket, clamp & removeable reflector. CFLs work great man, lots of bang for your buck & easily found in both red & blue spectrums.

For every CFL you could ever want (and any other bulb for that matter) check this http://www.1000bulbs.com/2-to-200-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent-Screw-In-Light-Bulbs/
They have that exact same 105 watt by Eiko for 26 bucks.
Good luck mike

RichardK said:
I used a 12inch by 12inch box that was completly reflective inside (every square inch) and hung above were 4 - 27 Watt (100 Eq.) 2700K CFLs which I could turn on and off separately. Also I had two small 12 volt brushless DC fans one blowing in one out to cool the lights.

My groth was NOT leggy at all, they got light from every direction and when I finally took them out, they looked amazing.

CFLs work great for seedlings.

I used something similar last year - my grow area was 24x32" and I had four 23 watt bulbs. The plants were a little leggy but I think that's the way toms sprout. They did the same under LED lights. Transplanting when they are about two weeks old seems to take care of that problem.

Mike

34 bucks for a single light bulb?...what is this world coming to?...the wife would freak if I told her I spent 34 on a single light bulb... ;)

she's been very good with my gardening spending and hasn't said much but I know I would have to sleep in my storage building a month if I bought several of these....this is killing me...

255 lumens/dollar & 65 lumens/watt for that 105 watter (@ $27 @ 1000bulbs)
186 lumens/dollar & 66 lumens/watt for a 42 watter (@ $15)

Overall not a bad deal

I totally understand, but the wife doesn't do math...it is simply what it cost right now...

AJ,

Looking at the 12 LEDs I would need costs $360 (includes shipping). Six of these bulbs ($210) hopefully will provide enough lumens for my grow area. Even with the difference in energy usage, it would take me 3.5 years to break even. By then, the LEDs should be a lot, lot cheaper and more powerful. Even if this bulb isn't the best deal, I know it will support at least a couple of tomato plants or cucumbers.

Mike

not criticizing you Mike...I suppose a little jealousy came out 'cause I won't even ask the wife to spend the money..

AJ,

Hey, my wife is the same way. But I explain to her that I have to spend some money to make some and my goal is to spend the least I need to. 700 plants @$3.00 each (average) = $2,100. I won't sell that many, but I know some stores that may buy what I have left for $1.00 each. Then again, I do have a newspaper so advertising plants for sale will not cost anything!

Mike

wordwiz said:
AJ,

Hey, my wife is the same way. But I explain to her that I have to spend some money to make some and my goal is to spend the least I need to. 700 plants @$3.00 each (average) = $2,100. I won't sell that many, but I know some stores that may buy what I have left for $1.00 each. Then again, I do have a newspaper so advertising plants for sale will not cost anything!

Mike

Hey! If you can turn something you love to do into a business, that's a blessing! I'm with AJ -- I'd hate to have to explain to the wife why I need to spend so much to sprout plants that I can buy for a buck or two from a nursery that's just a couple of blocks from our house. She's cool with me enjoying my hobby as long as it doesn't take over the house (and fill the house with bugs) and/or start becoming a drain on the budget. But, I don't complain when she buys detergent and stuff she likes. ;)

ahh the other half discussions... I'm not married yet, but i've already begun the discussions with the young lady im going to marry... were still butting heads but were working through it all; at least we have finances figured out; we have a combined account that a certain percentage of our earnings will go to; this will be for family & household needs; we also keep seperate accounts that will get the remaining percentage of our money that we can use for whatever we want whether it be hobbies, gifts for one another etc. thats the basis of our plan. So if i want to go out and buy a $1000 growing system, as long as its from my hobby account im all set.

Think its a difficult Balance how much to spend on Lighting and how that affects your hobby Overall..Some people i no will not use lights under any circumstances they say its costly and a waist of time,My point of view is to use lights wisely and get the most value you can..A.J My wife asked the same question about why do want to waist money on lights when there is something called the Sun..Bless her :)

AlabamaJack said:
34 bucks for a single light bulb?...what is this world coming to?...the wife would freak if I told her I spent 34 on a single light bulb... ;)

she's been very good with my gardening spending and hasn't said much but I know I would have to sleep in my storage building a month if I bought several of these....this is killing me...

ANd the $600 for the tent is ok?

cmon now... ;p

That tent was nothing compared to that new backyard landscaping that I just noticed AJ has.
Right now I just use leds without CFL's help to keep my plants from drying out so fast.
The huge amount of red light I now have is really makeing my plants bloom like crazy. The panel with three red ones and one blue kicks the chinese panels axxes. The red and blue light lines above the panels are coming from the dark square thing hanging from a panel.
Check-it:
graphi1598.jpg

graphi1599.jpg

Wow thoose baby's are bathed in light,Love the way the panels are nicely angled,How may l.e.ds per panel? ;)

Why have lights to grow indoors? Because it's fun to grow during winter, and there is something to be said about creating a controlled low stress environment for your beloved plants.
Here's my Filius Blue flower clusters starting again.
graphi1601.jpg

Back