• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I need to vent - tobacco tax

WARNING: This is a vent, a rant... my apologies from the start.

This is rediculous! I wouldn't mind so much if it was a gradual increase, or if ALL children were eligible to benefit from the program the money is going to.
We make too much money for them to qualify for the program. (State Children's Health Insurance Program)

Here's the site that gives the price increases: http://www.ttb.gov/main_pages/schip-summary.shtml

Not even roll your own is cheaper anymore! The only exemption is the large cigars. You know, the big fat ones rich @$$holes love to smoke with they're expensive sipping alcohols that never get tax increases either.

Yea, smoking kills... can cause birth defects, cancer. I know all the risks. My choice in this day & age. If I get sick, it's my own fault.

Doesn't drinking kill too? I mean, can't it cause birth defects too? Cause liver damage?
Wait... last I checked when I smoke a cigarette it doesn't impare my judgement causing others to be at risk when I operate heavy machinery.
Why doesn't alcohol get taxed equally?

Better yet, why don't those rich @$$holes stop being so F-ing greedy. I wonder how much they get in "Finders Fees" in kick-backs, commissions, & royalties they're getting for desiding to rip off the little people again? Oh, it's one of those "If the American people can afford to smoke, they can afford to pay for the health care of millions of others."
How about instead of us American taxpayers paying you $174,000 per year, we give you a pay cut. Do you really deserve to make that much? Can you live at the Federal Poverty level of $10,830?
Try it. You know damn well 1 in 8 of the people who put you there attempt to live on less than that! (there's another piss-me-off topic)

Yea, I know. I could quit to save the money. I could sit down and shut up and help all those poor children. blah-blah-blah!
That's not the point.

I am getting so tired of all the bureaucratic bull$#!T! On so many levels this is pissing me off more and more!

Ok. Thank you.

I'm feeling your pain, I'm at the point where its just time to quit, I will miss them but they are killing me. I think when I really do quit I'll head up north and club some baby seals....... No better yet I'll head to annapolis an club my representatives......

I quit smoking just under 3 yrs ago. Best thing I've done for myself in quite some time. I feel healthier, food tastes better. The house n my clothes no longer smell like an old used ashtray. And the money I saved by not buying smokes, I bought a new living room set. Couch, love seat, recliner, n 3 oak tables. Plus another major factor, I haven't been sick at all, since I quit.

What's the opposite of pro? Con!
What's the opposite of progress?

What I find ironic is that as cigarette taxes rise, fewer people smoke. So over time, the net effect is the gov will get fewer and fewer dollars from smokers and will have to look to other sources to replace that money.

This country is going to hell in a handbasket. The feds and other authorities ought to be damned glad that most of the members of the "Greatest Generation" are either deceased or too old to be taken as a serious threat.

But hey, 95 percent of us are going to get a tax decrease, right? But WTH is the difference between a federal income tax or a federal cigarette tax, gas tax or the extra price I have to pay for tomatoes at the supermarket because of a carbon tax?

I'm reminded of a sermon our history/government teacher gave once: The US had bombs equal to 150 tons of power per person while the USSR had only 75 tons of power. But the average person won't know the difference if hit.

Okay, off my rant. Once Frost Free Day gets here and I can vent my frustration by pulling up weeds and tilling soil, I'll calm down!

Mike

Howz this for a rort. Our loonies in power recently introduced a %70 increase in tax on "Alcopops", the pre-mixed drinks that one can purchase.

Their reasoning behind this was that too many people (young people they reckon) were drinking too much. After the introduction of this tax the young people in question simply purchased the bottle of spirits and mixed their own. Of course they didn't stop mixing their own until the entire bottle was gone!

Now the loonies have backflipped on this wacked out tax and it will not be introduced anymore. This wasn't even written into law and they still managed to scam $300 million from the pre-mixed drinkers. Now the loonies are giving the money back to distillers!!

We are taxed when we are born and when we die. In between we are just taxed to the hilt while the loonies get pay rise after fudging pay rise. I would if at all possible shoot every bloody one of them and start a fresh round of loonies. These loonies WOULD do their job and do it damn well, lest they get 7.62 straight between their googly eyes.

BAH!

Did you hear about the 3 numb skulls that ventured off to the N Pole last month to measure the floating ice, and prove once and for all there is global warming, they are probably going to freeze to death, last I heard they can't be rescued because of weather. Maybe they should have went when the sun was shinning and not-40 below 0. I would definitely have to have my smokes on that adventure.

^^^HAhahahahah^^^ At least they might find some seals to club! :P

Probly just WONT rescue them because they have in fact just proven that G/W is a crock of shit. Can't let anyone know that but.

Poisonette said:
Doesn't drinking kill too? I mean, can't it cause birth defects too? Cause liver damage?
Wait... last I checked when I smoke a cigarette it doesn't impare my judgement causing others to be at risk when I operate heavy machinery.
Why doesn't alcohol get taxed equally?

Don't worry alcohol is next on the list. They already want a $120/barrel beer tax increase in Oregon:
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_021309_news_oregon_beer_tax.126942e1.html?npc

Hmmm, don't know where I remembered the $120 thing from but it's 1900% increase. ery similar to the tobacco. And the STATES are complaining that if the feds raise the tobacco tax, they won't be able to raise it as much themselves.

Novacastrian said:
^^^HAhahahahah^^^ At least they might find some seals to club! :P

Probly just WONT rescue them because they have in fact just proven that G/W is a crock of shit. Can't let anyone know that but.

The Canadian weather station are reporting this as the coldest winter since there existence , stations that is

To estimate... a US ounce would cost between $0.81 - $1.12. But those are Ohio prices. I know some states have it a lot worse. That's buying it by the pound.

A week ago I paid $3.61 for a pack of Winstons, and when I bought my roll-your-own on Thursday, they were $4.55.
Some people think that raising the prices before April 1st is a mistake because the new prices can become the 'base' prices for the tax hike. Which means they can go up again.

I'm sorry to hear that the US isn't the only country with wack-jobs running it.

Sounds pretty much on par with us here. I pay around 15-16 dollars for a 30grm pouch of white ox. A pack of Longbeach 40's (popular brand here) goes for around $18.

When I was a kid, mom sometimes had me go up to the store to get her a pack - 28ยข. This was back in the early '60s.

Mike

Back