• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ID request. (yes, I know...)

These were part of a mixed bag and although rather tasty, the mild pepper marked 'Arbol' on the right is clearly not.

april2010harvest03.jpg

Any ideas at all?

The next one is annoying as I was expecting Scotch Bonnet and this is a very mild, almost sweet pepper!

Actually, I exaggerate as it's rather fun to try and 'sleuth' down the real names.... Your thoughts?

april2010harvest02.jpg

The second picture "scotch bonnet" looks like a bishops crown. They are not to hot and quite sweet. No idea about the first though.

Bishop's Crown/Hat, eh?

Yep, checked on chiliman.org and that's it exactly - thanks!

The 'Arbol' is more shield/heart shaped and if the Bishop's Crown is a 1/10, this would be a 3/10. The bush grows to 4' or so and is a prolific producer. The resultant fruit is heavily seeded, almost as if it has more seeds than it needs!

Your label says Habanero Arbol. I'm guessing it's a different breed than the classic d'Arbol from Mexico/Texas. I can send you some d'Arbol seeds if you'd like to grow some.
Coincidently, I was in a Mexican grocery last week buying some fresh salsa, and the owner/salsa maker told me that d'Arbols and Japones are the same pepper. I wasn't going to argue with him as I like his salsa too much. I just nodded and paid my money.

I just did a google search, and found mentions of Habanero Arbol. It is also called the tree habanero. I could not find any pictures of it. What does it taste/burn like?

Hey, ori!

Thanks for the offer, but I got some very productive seeds from boutros last season and they are smokin'! However, I would really like to ID this fella that was in the same packet. Bout cannot ID it and neither can his supplier, so I'm giving it one last ditch effort here...

The real Arbol is fairly mild, perhaps a 3/10, and here's a pic...I guess the Arbol is about 1"-11/2" in size.

habaneroarbolleftwithun.jpg

I am going to go with a cross as well. That big orange one is a hab arbol (tree hab) and if they came from the same packet then you have your answer.

Possible, though the packet supplied to Boutros may easily have had foreign seeds mixed in.

In fact, he and I now know two different varieties from the packet, and this is the third, so entirely feasible that it's another variety, though I certainly don't rule out the X possibility.

Hey there, folks. I'm new here, and while looking for some info on my "habanero de arbol", I saw this thread... Here's a picture of the grow tag that came with my plant.

4617078352_daf3656c78_b.jpg

Still haven't found any info about it, other than it's a "tree-form habanero". :)

Duane

Back