• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

IGG (Passow) Grow Log Part 4 06-01-2008 - Done Planting

as for the urine stuff, theres been talks of urine breaksdown quickly as to what type of urine it is & which animal it came from, example after awhile you or animals couldnt tell the difference between human/deer/yotes/fox/etc...urine.

& wouldnt your dogs/cats need to know what a yote is before being affraid of their urine ? in my eyes I think so, otherwise it might just be a curiosity scent to them. & a yote is still a dog so I dont know how effective it'll be for domestic dogs since both are dogs.

have you ever thought about a shock fence (set low to the ground):hell: I bet it'd be funny watching a cat get shock by a electric fence made for cattle :lol:

chilehunter said:
have you ever thought about a shock fence (set low to the ground):hell: I bet it'd be funny watching a cat get shock by a electric fence made for cattle :lol:

Now that is a good idea...When I was working horses, the electric fence wire we used had a control box where you can control the intensity of the shock. I'm sure that on the lowest setting it wouldn't hurt any smaller animals, but it would definitely scare them away. I may have to look into this and see how much the cost would be...:think:

pepperfreak - the unit would cost the most, then just use wire & get some insulators & shock the heck out of the feral animals :lol: it shouldnt kill them but it should give ya some entertainment watching them get shocked :lol: & at the same time the animals learn to stay away.
as for settings cats & dogs I'd keep on the mid/higher end,it wont kill them. smaller animals, well, thats your call for settings but they're just rodents.

chilehunter said:
pepperfreak - the unit would cost the most, then just use wire & get some insulators & shock the heck out of the feral animals :lol: it shouldnt kill them but it should give ya some entertainment watching them get shocked :lol: & at the same time the animals stay away.
: thinks of getting taser and sitting out late at night, drunk, laying in wait for a squirel to shock :

well if you set the wire up correctly you could protect against cats/dogs/squirrels/rabbits/etc...
have the main wire high enough for dogs & feeder wires hanging down from that wire but not touching the ground (but close)

but if you're gonna spend all that money why not just fence the area in!
but the shock fence would be funny to see a cat get zapped :lol: I dont care who you are it'd be funny seeing the cat jump 5' in the air & run FAST :lol:

That fence idea might work, unless you get a determined animal, like my dog.
He ran into in, yelped, backed off for a second or two, then ran into it again, backed off, then ran through it.

that invisible fence did crap all to keep my mums cat in the yard, i dunno if an electric fence would do any better (then again we don't care about the cat so much as the dogs, maybe it would work on them?). we could just put a regular ol' fence too, but this is a friendly neighborhood and we've never had to build fences before so we'd hate for it to come to that.
the dogcatcher idea is a good one, but their cat doesn't wear a collar and the dogs don't have the updated phone number on theirs (i know cuz i called it the first time we 'met' - read: they ran up to me on the street when i was getting out of my car and i thought they were lost...) so i'd hate it if they just got put to sleep cuz noone could be contacted - is that how that works?
i was at the co-op again to get nematodes and asked again about the predator urine, the lady said the wolf/coyote/fox directs large/medium/small dogs where to 'go' cuz they're in the same family so somehow they just know (and for some reason you have to get the kind for your size dog...this is all hearsay) and same with the bobcat urine but i guess there isn't that much difference in cat sizes for it to matter (i guess whoever came up with that never saw a maine coon cat...). either way, it doesn't sound like it'll repel anything but prey animals (and i don't really mind those) might even worsen my problem...
IGG - how are your dogs reacting?

Find a grizzly bear. Get it drunk. Get it to pee in a bucket. Bring it home and pour it around your garden.

Buy life insurance first!

Mike

GrumpyBear said:
IGG - how are your dogs reacting?
They absolutely love the stuff. You'd think that a beautiful female dog peed there the way they are reacting....

This one things for sure, it's not a dog repelent.

lostmind said:
Do they make electric fences small enough for mice?

no!

GrumpyBear said:
the dogcatcher idea is a good one, but their cat doesn't wear a collar and the dogs don't have the updated phone number on theirs (i know cuz i called it the first time we 'met' - read: they ran up to me on the street when i was getting out of my car and i thought they were lost...) so i'd hate it if they just got put to sleep cuz noone could be contacted - is that how that works?

yep, around here they pick up an animal & if no tags if its adoptable then its saved for some time if not by by its put down.
who cares if it has tags or not, if the idiot owner wont control their animals then they dont need them! call the pound up & report the feral pets & if you want mention the owners names after they have the animal at the shelter so the owners get some fee's & I'm sure they wont mention who reported the animal.
& they should be so lucky the animal hasnt been hit with a vehicle.
if someone cant take care of or control of their animals they have no right owning it! put it down or let someone else own it.

Something else that works too.We had to do it the last 2 yrs for the deer that didn`t make it into my freezer.You can lay a medium sized chicken wire down flat on the groud which puts a 3 ft barrier.Nothing seems to like to get their feet-hoves stuck in the hole.Similar to cattle barriers you see across driveways.

chilehunter said:
yep, around here they pick up an animal & if no tags if its adoptable then its saved for some time if not by by its put down.
who cares if it has tags or not, if the idiot owner wont control their animals then they dont need them! call the pound up & report the feral pets & if you want mention the owners names after they have the animal at the shelter so the owners get some fee's & I'm sure they wont mention who reported the animal.
& they should be so lucky the animal hasnt been hit with a vehicle.
if someone cant take care of or control of their animals they have no right owning it! put it down or let someone else own it.

i think maybe there's a leash bylaw or something, i'll try that first. if i can call the dogcatcher but tell them exactly who the owner is then i have no problem doing that but i would never intentially send a perfectly healthy and happy dog to its death just cuz it was getting into my garden.
like i said, they're super friendly dogs and if i use a deep voice and try to sound serious (or just not like a hundred pound girly-girl) then say 'sit' they actually sit so clearly these owners are somewhat responsible, just a little too laid back... i think some fines'll fix that up, but i'm willing to drag these dogs out of my yard a thousand times before sending them to die...it's a good idea, and i believe the whole 'no bad dogs, just bad owners' thing but, again, i'm just not willing to destroy some sweet dogs without giving the owners a chance to shape up.

GrumpyBear said:
i think maybe there's a leash bylaw or something, i'll try that first. if i can call the dogcatcher but tell them exactly who the owner is then i have no problem doing that but i would never intentially send a perfectly healthy and happy dog to its death just cuz it was getting into my garden.
like i said, they're super friendly dogs and if i use a deep voice and try to sound serious (or just not like a hundred pound girly-girl) then say 'sit' they actually sit so clearly these owners are somewhat responsible, just a little too laid back... i think some fines'll fix that up, but i'm willing to drag these dogs out of my yard a thousand times before sending them to die...it's a good idea, and i believe the whole 'no bad dogs, just bad owners' thing but, again, i'm just not willing to destroy some sweet dogs without giving the owners a chance to shape up.
Hehe, just thought of something. Invite the dogs in for a sleep over at your place the next time they wonder into your yard. The take them back to their owners the next day and say, "Oh ya, I think this belongs to you. I found him walking all over my garden. By the way, here's a pamplet stating th eleash laws in our city. It was fun having [dogs name] over night. Bye!"

Let em sweat a little...hehehehe :hell:

IGG....can you put a 3ft tall temporary fence around your peppers in the beds or a "white picket fence"?

AlabamaJack said:
IGG....can you put a 3ft tall temporary fence around your peppers in the beds or a "white picket fence"?
It's not the peppers I'm worried about (they are in containers), it's the radishs and lettuce. I could do that but it's not worth the astetic value/look that those things give. I just made some hot sauce last night and used the water that I washed the blender out. I ended up pouring it all around the planting areas....let's see those bastards get through that!

Here's anther planting area pic with the Tobacco at one end and flowers all in a row.
smoke2te7.jpg

talas said:
thats one neat looking garden I.G you being taking advice from rainbowberry hehe,what type of radishes you growing ?

Thank you, they are Cherry Bell radishes and I have over 80 of them in the ground.

Back