• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

I'm about to get my ass kicked by hurricane Matthew

Can you take cuttings of the ones you can't bring in? I was just trying to figure out how to do that, and if I really needed to buy rooting hormone.

Nah.  If they get shredded too bad, I'll just treat them like an overwinter for you cold weather fellas.  Pull up the rootball, clean it off, trim roots, knock back all but a few branches, and repot.  It'll be producing again before Christmas.

The biggest damage that we had, was the loss of several giant banana plants, that were loaded with fruit.  I have a 'Saba' banana, which was about 18" in diameter, with a cluster of fruit that was snapped over.  And even though I put my plants under my covered porch, some were almost completely defoliated.  Such as this 7 pot bubblegum.  That's a 27 gallon tote, for scale.

30202225626_4c612b4419_z.jpg

Well, that's a matter of perspective...  On one hand, you hate to lose what you have.  On the other, if something is going to happen, let it happen big, I say.  Fresh starts are awesome. :)

Of course, I'm talking about the house, not the family... :D

Back