• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I'm all alone...

...or so it seems!

I've never considered myself a chronic chillihead, but certainly love the fruit in its many forms.

I have just spent a full week trawling Johannesburg, my home town (the one where Soweto is located!!) looking for a superb chilli/chile/pepper/capsaicum-based sauce! Nada...zip...diddly!

Then I dropped my expectations and decided to try a few of the (not superb, but) good sauces, and it seems they are not to be found either! What the...! :(

No good sauces, but an OK sauce called ENCONA CARIBBEAN, (made of course in the United Kingdom!):oops: was eventually unearthed, along with shelves full of Tobasco, which I know you puritans don't touch.

What has happened to South Africa?! Sad day when my puny tastes outrank that of the rest of the population...

I appeal to Pepperdom and its subjects - If you have any knowledge of an outlet, anywhere in this (kinda) democratic country of mine that sells a good sauce, please let me know! :lol:;)

(Importing is out of the question at the moment.)

Have you tried any of the Nando's peri-peri sauces or UKUVA?
Do you ever see fatalii peppers or other African C. chinenses where you are located?

huntsman said:
...along with shelves full of Tobasco, which I know you puritans don't touch...

You haven't seen my fridge. I always have a bottle of their chipotle and green sauce on hand. Love it.

POTAWIE said:
Have you tried any of the Nando's peri-peri sauces or UKUVA?
Do you ever see fatalii peppers or other African C. chinenses where you are located?

Hi Potawie - I must admit to being a bit of a snob, and I have avoided Nandos like the plague because they are so commercially-oriented, but if you recommend them, I'll give them a try...Ukuva is not known to me...

We are waaaaay behind the pepper culture that exists worldwide, so your choices in a produce mart are either 'hot' or 'mild' peppers, or sometimes 'red' or 'green' peppers! Very seldom is a pepper named with the variety, and I am only just learning that there are more than a handful of varieties! :)

Skydiver said:
You haven't seen my fridge. I always have a bottle of their chipotle and green sauce on hand. Love it.

Heh heh! Stand up and be counted, 'eh? :lol:

Well, I've just popped out and bought the 'Extra hot peri-peri' sauce, which is made from Bird's Eye and Serrano peppers, so let's see...:lol:

imaguitargod said:
AH! YOUR AVATAR JUST BLINKED AT ME!!!!!

Nah, it confused you with a Prince - that was a wink!

PepperLover said:
you should make ur own sauce

We have no real peppers available for sale here, PL, and I'm a n00b, so them thar days is still a far way off I fear...! :lol:

Germany isn't anything more developed concerning peppers than you describe it for South Africa. There are some online shops selling decent international sauces, seeds and stuff. But local shops are bad. Some Asia Shops have nice Habaneros (and call them "Cayenne":lol:) but normal food stores and supermarkets have unnamed bland, semi bland and semi hot mediterranian pepperonis and sometimes warn you that they might be far toooo hot.

But the scene is growin!

Armadillo said:
Some Asia Shops have nice Habaneros (and call them "Cayenne":lol:)

And there is another problem with calling all chineses habaneros.....chile taxonomy already sucks, no reason to confuse it more.

Yeah, I've only been in the hobby for five minutes and I can already see taxonomical errors, where variety, cultivar and species are regularly confused, even by those with more experience.

I thought that the taxonomy of tarantulas was a challenge (it is!) but there is a lot of room for error in this field too, which of course is why we partake of these forae...:-)

Any reason why a friend couldn't send you a bottle or two of sauce? Customs doesn't have anything against chili sauce do they?

Answered my own question huntsman. I did a quick UPS check on what it would cost to send you a 2lb package. $172.00 US. DAMN!

But it's under $30 for USPS Priority mail 6-10 days. Much better.

willard3 said:
And there is another problem with calling all chineses habaneros.....chile taxonomy already sucks, no reason to confuse it more.

Agreed so far. I should have called them "habanero-type" chinenses. Only to call them "chinense" would mix them up with all the bihs and bhuts and nagas and fataliis and a lot of other not so frequently discussed chinenses. Who has followed the family trees of their habaneros for the last twenty generations?

To confuse the taxonomy even more, we have wholesalers, retailers, and re-sellers putting their own fictitious names on peppers that already have established taxonomical names. It's become a chili freeforall.

patrick said:
Answered my own question huntsman. I did a quick UPS check on what it would cost to send you a 2lb package. $172.00 US. DAMN!

Yeeee - ow! Yeah, couriers between our countries are hugely expensive Pat, and very often cost more than the product...thanks for the thought, though! :lol:

(Strangely, the cost from me to you is around 20% more, which is weird in the extreme. Maybe the wind blows towards us!! ) Actually, that theory doesn't sail, because our costs to Australia are also around 15% more than their costs to us...

Both examples are using Airmail though, not couriers....

I'm hoping to find that some serious chillihead enclave exists somewhere in the country and that they will have some 'home brew'! :onfire: Can't let the Aussies dominate us in this as well! :lol::lol:

@ origamiRN

Oh yeah, that's a given. Retailers have to make the product a little bigger/better/hotter/wilder, ad nauseum, and they run out of superlatives very quickly. Makes the product sound exciting, but it screams caveat emptor...

Armadillo said:
Germany isn't anything more developed concerning peppers than you describe it for South Africa. There are some online shops selling decent international sauces, seeds and stuff. But local shops are bad. Some Asia Shops have nice Habaneros (and call them "Cayenne":lol:) but normal food stores and supermarkets have unnamed bland, semi bland and semi hot mediterranian pepperonis and sometimes warn you that they might be far toooo hot.

But the scene is growin!

You describe my situation perfectly!

Strangely enough, so many of my friends love spicy food that we simply must have a chillihead population just waiting to explode!

Back