• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I'm old emough to remember when...

I'm old enough to remember:

My dad pumping gas at 16 cents/gallon;

Paying 23 cents/gallon (gas wars) when I first started driving;

S & H Green Stamps;

Washing machines with no "spin" cycle - there were "pinch" rollers on the top & you manually wrang out every article you'd placed in the machine; & if that's not enough, a clothes dryer was called the clothes line;

Milk being delivered (daily) to the front door in glass bottles with paper lids;

You got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped,without asking, all for free, every time? And you didn't pay for air?

When there was no "stereo" (only "high fidelty") & there was no "FM" radio;

45 RPM & 78 RPM records;

Romper Room;

Bounce-back "Bozo the Clown" punching bags;

Pay toilets;

Pay telephones;

Telephone numbers with words (pre-alpha numeric) like "Overland 8-1813".

Who remembers the first thing they ever microwaved? What was it?

a chocolate bar in the developers shirt pocket

I remember when gold was 34 USD per ounce.....wish I had bought a ton back then...but then again a brand new 1957 Super 88 Oldsmobile with 312 hp coming out of a 371 in[sup]3[/sup] engine, and a hydromatic transmition and air conditioner was less than $3,000....that was one fine automobile...my 70 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 340-4 speed was $3007...got the loan on 6% simple interest...the reason I remember the exact cost was that was the weight of the car, 3007 pounds...so a dollar a pound

"Close calls..Narrow escapes..Split second decisions and $25,000 in cash..A combination guaranteed to make you say.. Wheew!

Match Game.... Gene Rayburn and Richard Dawson completely hammered..

It was sooo big she could not fit her what around it?

"Be kind. Rewind" (50 cent rewind fee)

And JayT, "Rickrolling" THP could lead to banishment to the pointless forest!

When the "Beatles" arrived at Chicago's Midway Airport......I weazeled my way right up to the cyclone fence only to get smashed against it by the crowd, when George Harrison tossed a cigar right at us........

I'm old enough to remember when I was too young to be watching the first airing of The Planet of the Apes on TV -that movie gave me nightmares- those damned gorillas- URSO was it ? I remember him standing up and yelling "The only GOOOOOOD HUMAN.... IS A DEAD HUMAN"- that guy scared the bajeebus out of me.

So wierd how as a child - a movie is SO REAL.

I also remember Logan's Run - that one wasn't the greatest for a kid either - that laser seen with Farrah Fawcett where the plastic surgery went wrong - terrified me. I'm STILL paying $130 an hour for therapy and $1800 a month for anti-psychotics on THAT ONE.

Hmm- Both of those had terrible TV series to follow- well- Logan's Run TV series wasn't so bad. I used to love the idea of living outdoors- WHAT ELSE WAS OUT THERE !

Looking back the entire thing is probably an unconscious play on materialistic consumerism and how you can be trapped into 'mall' living because we have to consume 'things' found in malls.

I remember the Monday Night Football theme in 3rd grade which would be oh- 1975.

I remember the Globe Trotters pinball game- and Broken Arrow pinball - and the game Scramble when it came out- of COURSE Ice Castles and the tank and moon simulator.

I remember Hardees burgers tasted great.

I remember asking the mailman for rubber bands and the phone trucks for colored wire- that was the best- getting LOST of wire - I was happier than a senior executive at Goldman committing insider trading SEC violations to the tune of 13 billion extra from triple A'd zero equity collateralized debt objects that we STILL don't know WHY or HOW Moody's could triple A GARBAGE and let Goldman sells those stink bombs to Iceland, Norway- GREECE - all those places that were hit HARD. Did I mention Spain ?

I remember when in 1975 I wanted change to play some pinball at the University student union, and the bank I had a 'silver passbook' account with - wouldn't let me take out anything LESS than $5. I just wanted $1 in quarters. I walked away- then walked back and said I'd like to withdraw $6 and and could you please give me $1 in quarters. I then said "I'd like to make a deposit of $5 please".

I remember when in 6th grade those mechanical pencils ? the smaller one you got at the Univ. bookstore - the cooler it was !

I remember when I programmed on Hollerith cards at age 8 on honeywell mainframe computer.

I remember 110 baud acoustic coupler modems !

I remember that now that I look back at it - HORRID show Fantasy Island- but I loved eating frito lays- especially that new BBQ flavor that came out and watching the show. Nick Nack was probably sending subliminal messages 'eat more fritos - da plane - eat more fritos - da plane boss'

My god- I downloaded that series last year - I coulnd't handle 5 minutes of it.

I can't believe what I settled for

I remember the ORIGINAL theme to Eight is Enough -

I remember not coming home to watch Speed Race every day at 3 after Lost in Space was on

I remember watching a lot of TV !: )

I remember my first remote control car- the MAC Machine - boy oh boy did they not know about THAT name heh - ADVERTISED to make it look like it was controlled by the remote- the remote was a piece of plastic with a strip of metal that makes a snap sound - the car responds to hand claps TOO ! AUGH ! and can ONLY MOVE FORWARD and TURN RIGHT !

I was so let down.

SO LET DOWN

I'm payin' $150 an hour and $2500 a month for anti-depressants for THAT experience now.

Still 5 former Mac machine owners in Group - one overlaps to paint huffers anonymous meetings on thursdays.

I remember VAGUELY my parents and family gathering around the black and white TV to watch people on the moon - I was born in 1968 so that one has me puzzled.

I remember plugging a DC motor into the AC wall outlet age 6 and that god awful smell of burning electricity-

I remember sticking my HAND in an AC outlet at age 5 - and that god awful smell of burning something.

I remember when the TRS-80 came out

I remember when I got an Atari 800 instead- GOOD MOVE TOO

I remember when electric windows didn't exist in cars

I remember the FIRST LED watch to come out - kid had one in second grade- MUST have cost $150.

BUT DAMN was that the stuff - my god - it was MAGIC - TOTAL MAGIC - digital red numbers- the SKY was the limit- my oh my.

the University only had the Hazeltine 1000 - it was 9600 BAUD - the MAXIMUM rate you could connect through a phone line - lol- was UNHEARD OF - it had the 4k character set expansion pack. So LED's ? making numbers ? All I used were the Decwriter 300's - so anything visual electronic - was amazing, especially that watch.

I remember those spherical AM radios - I'd listen to Mystery theater to late at night- all the sound props - doors opening.

I remember our Ford Pinto - and then the recalls after the gas tanks started exploding.

I remember when pop cans had the oval peel off tab and were made of steel.

I remember ordering cheap products from the back of comic books- the x-ray glasses that were a piece of red cloth that just made everything look fuzzy. Dreaming of the home made laser.

I remember those tiny pocket books an inch thick of Disney characters.

I remember believing Sesame Street was somewhere in the woods my parents would drive by on vacations -and if ONLY we could stop - we'd find Sesame Street.

I remember when benadryl was prescription and it gave me the willies when taking it as a child - but Allerest tabs tasted SOOOO good- probably a bad idea to make them taste like candy.

I remember taking a bottle of adult multi-vitamins thinking I'd be super man - it's probably affected me the rest of my life.

I remember when you would go outside and play - and you never heard of people being snatched.

I remember when the Big foot episode of Six Million Dollar man.

all 2 parts (or wait, was it 3)

I remember flying out the head of my fathers p...... - wait- no - phew - I don't remember that.

I better stop while I'm behind.

TF, that is a great list. I am a couple years behind you, but I remember much of that myself. How about the first hand held electronic football game with the red dots?

Back