• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

In search of Curry Leaf and Pandan seeds/plants

Siv

Extreme Member
I used to have a lovely curry leaf plant (murraya koenigii) which survived the Texas winters for several years. This spring it just gave up and died. I have no idea why :(

I'm looking to find a replacement. I've ordered seeds from multiple overseas vendors yet none have arrived. I can't find a US vendor although I know there are many plants growing around the country, California in particular.

Another plant I'm looking for is pandan (pandanus amaryllifolius) - I managed to find one last year and paid a chunk for a potted plant which promptly died. On inspection, it was just a sprig of leaves with no roots! I guess I got ripped off.

Anyway, is there anyone out there who can help me? I'm also willing to try rooting a cutting so that's also an option.

Siv said:
I used to have a lovely curry leaf plant (murraya koenigii) which survived the Texas winters for several years. This spring it just gave up and died. I have no idea why :(

Hey Siv, sorry for your loss!

While I can't help you out directly, I can offer a search options that I've been using with some pretty good results, GOOGLE Image Search, see below. After learning a bit of navigation it might give you some leads as every pic has a URL that can lead to sellers website.

Good luck!

06.08.20_CurryLeaf2.jpg

06.08.20_CurryLeaf1.jpg

I found my original plant sitting outside an Indian grocery store looking very sad. Once I brought it home, it grew like crazy. It was a one-off thing for them and since they sell the leaves they're not likely to get plants back in. I have found vendors selling plants but they want $40 and up for small plants. Call be crazy but I balk at that price. Same for pandan - there are a few US sellers on eBay and it's $40 for a small plant.

I've ordered curry leaf seeds from 5 different Amazon vendors. They were all $2-3 each for 100 seeds. I have little hope that they will actually arrive but at least Amazon gives me some protection. I bought from an eBay seller on May 10th and nothing arrived. They actually asked me if they had arrived and said to wait another week. I also ordered from a site in India but nothing.

I'm such an idiot, my plant had put out a ton of smaller ones last year and I should have transplanted them into pots and brought them inside. Maybe it was telling me that the mummy plant was about to go. They all died with the first frost we had.

The only silver lining is that I still have a ton of leaves in the freezer from a couple of years ago so plenty for cooking for the next year or so.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I've been to all these before and many more. Logee's wont ship to Texas, I've actually ordered seeds from India but they never arrived, most others are out of stock and $229.99 is way too much!

I'll make a promise here - if I get seeds that manage to germinate, I'll send seeds to any who need them!

I see ypu are in Richmond. I have a friend who got his plant at JRN nursery.

11701 Alief Clodine Rd, Houston, TX 77072

He said they have other varities of exotic asian plamts too.. So you might even get pandan plant. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

saiias said:
I see ypu are in Richmond. I have a friend who got his plant at JRN nursery.

11701 Alief Clodine Rd, Houston, TX 77072

He said they have other varities of exotic asian plamts too.. So you might even get pandan plant. Good luck.

Wow, thanks Saiias, I'll check them out!

So I just got back from the nursery that Sai pointed me to. Sadly they didn't have any curry leaf plants. I also asked about Pandan and they must have known I was coming as a small 6" plant was priced at $25! I could see the original sign said "$5" but someone had scrubbed off the "$" and put "$2" in front of it.

The search continues...

Sorry Siv. My fri3nd got it at that nursery. Were they out of stock or did they say they dont sell it?

Reactions: Siv
saiias said:
Sorry Siv. My fri3nd got it at that nursery. Were they out of stock or did they say they dont sell it?

No need to be sorry - the best lead I've had so far! Communication was a bit difficult with both of us wearing masks and I don't think English was the store guy's first language. When I asked about curry leaf he just shook his head. For pandan, he said "expensive" and pointed me to the pots.

My wife just made a trip to the Indian store where we first bought the plant. The lady said they get them occasionally so my wife left her number - we'll see if they call.

ako1974 said:
You can try Well Sweep. Here is the website: https://wellsweep.com/catalog/

It doesn't show a price in the catalog for curry leaf, but it's from last year. This is the first year they didn't update the catalog - may have been due to the pandemic.

In general, Well Sweep is really good. You can email - they're pretty responsive.

Wow, this is great - they have both! I'll see if they ship to Texas.

Siv said:
My wife just made a trip to the Indian store where we first bought the plant. The lady said they get them occasionally so my wife left her number - we'll see if they call.

Well it turns out that my wife is the star in my family. She got a call today and I rushed to the shop as quickly as I could and brought home this:

50031063253_3cbb64c884_b.jpg

Interestingly none of the seeds I have ordered have arrived from China/India. It's been 7 weeks now!

Potted up in it's new home:
50031959272_21552e71d6_b.jpg

Back