grills Information on Brinkman Gourmet Smoker and Grill

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
Yesterday was my 20th anniversary with the company I work for and one of the gifts is a Brinkman Gourmet Smoker and Grill. I have never smoked anything before (at least not on the grill and that I would admit to), but does anyone have any comments on this one?

Here is a link to the one they will give me....

http://www1.shopping.com/xPR-Brinkmann-Gourmet-Charcoal-Smoker-Grill-852-7080-E~RD-106167373444

just be gentle with me....remember, this is free...

Question is would this be a good starter for me since I have not smoked before?

All i can say is, if it's free then it's for me.

Seriously, you cant go wrong with free. And yeah, why wouldn't it be a good starting point for you. Besides, when you receive it if it's not what you want or think you need you can always sell it.

Yeah, those ones are nice. That is the same model i have aj. It should have a charcoal pan that can be set in 3 positions, bottom for smoking, middle for grilling and top for searing as well as a water pan.

Since they're not huge you have to keep an eye on it when smoking, cause sometimes once the wood chunks stop smoking and start burning, the temp will shoot up a bit. And remember to keep water in the water pan.

I believe you can get a replacement bottom for it that converts it to an electric smoker, which makes it easier to regulate heat as well.

I like mine, just wish i had room for it at my apartment. It's in storage at the parents' house.

Used to make smoked jalapeno poppers all the time. Good god were those awesome.

POTAWIE said:
Your going to love it Aj, and then knowing you we'll soon see plans for you own design:)

In-ground quad chamber smoker before the end of this year.

You are a lucky dog AJ. Now you will have smoked pepper sauces and concentrates.

It might be challenging to properly smoke peppers on that unit. I'm sure its do-able but you might just want to keep it for meat smoking anyways:)

cool...then that is what I will get...only thing else besides a bunch of trinkets, jewelry, and watches is a 30" ceramic fire pit with a cast frame...If I want a fire, I can build one in the smoker.... :lol:

Smoking peppers is really what I had in mind but I can smoke meats and such...

nothing wrong with that smoker, I started out using those types of smokers (bullets) & I still have 1 (dont use it as much any more) & a 7 in 1 grill/smoker (I use this more for smoking but still a bullet design).

though the one I have (had) are a little different, they have legs instead of that bottom pan legs.

since I've had a couple of them I have extra racks. my 7 in 1 I've placed 2" zip screws in at certain heights to allow for more racks, if you do this you'll need to screw them in/out each time to place them or remove them.
you dont always have to use the water pan, of course depends on what your smoking or how long. otherwise you could also just place a tin food can in the middle of the coals & place water or left over brine in that & refill it if needed. that gives you another rack location.

have fun smoking.

AlabamaJack said:
cool...then that is what I will get...only thing else besides a bunch of trinkets, jewelry, and watches is a 30" ceramic fire pit with a cast frame...If I want a fire, I can build one in the smoker.... :lol:

Smoking peppers is really what I had in mind but I can smoke meats and such...

SMOKED POPPERS!!! you haven't had poppers til you've had smoked poppers.

chilehunter said:
nothing wrong with that smoker, I started out using those types of smokers (bullets) & I still have 1 (dont use it as much any more) & a 7 in 1 grill/smoker (I use this more for smoking but still a bullet design).

though the one I have (had) are a little different, they have legs instead of that bottom pan legs.

since I've had a couple of them I have extra racks. my 7 in 1 I've placed 2" zip screws in at certain heights to allow for more racks, if you do this you'll need to screw them in/out each time to place them or remove them.
you dont always have to use the water pan, of course depends on what your smoking or how long. otherwise you could also just place a tin food can in the middle of the coals & place water or left over brine in that & refill it if needed. that gives you another rack location.

have fun smoking.

Actually CH I have one of those and using the water pan doesn't eliminate a rack. The rack sits right on top of the pan. It is a simple and versitale smoker. I do smoke peppers in mine. I got one of those round smoker baskets that I sit on the top rack so the peppers are contained. You do need to keep an eye on the smoker for a while though AJ until you learn how to control the temp. That is the tricky part because you have to deal with many variable depending on weather temps, charcoal, different wood chips/chunks burning at different temps, etc. I love using my cheap little smoker. I hope you do too.

JT - you know you're right, it's been along time since I've used the water pans & forgot they sit ontop of that pan. I stopped using the water pans many years ago cuz I found that it blocked alot of the heat.

I've used the water pan & seen the temps on that gauge then tried it w/o the water pan & noticed more heat got to the meat, IMO that equals less fuel & less time. so I stopped using water pans & consider them as a extra charcoal pan when the other one is wrecked.

yea yea your smoking you dont want alot of heat, well it'd still mean you'd need to use more fuel to get the heat ya want at the meat.
I know everyone has their own method, & mine is not using a water pan instead use a tin can filled with water/brine placed in the coals.

Omri said:
OMG that's so awkward... I don't know how to tell you, but we kinda had the party last night already. :oops:
Not as awkward as telling you while you were at the party your girlfriend was with me.

thehotpepper.com said:
Not as awkward as telling you while you were at the party your girlfriend was with me.
Dude didn't she tell you? dumped her last week. :lol:
She's really hot though, so... NICE! :cheers:

Oh yeah I forgot, you have a RB male clone now :lol:

Back